If Spurs win the league . . .

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
cameron326

If Spurs win the league . . .

Post by cameron326 »

Still very unlikely to happen, but would it be such a bad thing? So Spurs would get gloating rights for a few seasons - no big deal. The trophy cabinets still speak for themselves. On the bright side:

1)This might be the wake up call Arsenal needs. If we finish outside the top 4, the mandate for next season will be "regaining our place in the top 4". That's it. The unspoken message will be that we can't compete with the balance sheets of City, Utd and Chelsea. Everything carries on. Business as usual.

Only a Spurs title might provide the shock to the system leading to a massive rethink, investments and the change in philosophy required. No more excuses could be made. Anything but this self-satisfied smugness at finishing 3rd/4th/5th year on year on year, with the clubs major ambitions relating to the bank balance rather than success on the pitch.

2)Its better than the alternatives - namely the Manchester clubs. Man City have not earned their current league position. And we're all sick to death of Man Utd's dominance. At least Spurs are where they are through smart management and the acquisition of talented players at reasonable prices.

3)It would liven up the whole league and lead to some cracking London Derbys.

GoonerN5

Re: If Spurs win the league . . .

Post by GoonerN5 »

cameron326 wrote:Still very unlikely to happen, but would it be such a bad thing? So Spurs would get gloating rights for a few seasons - no big deal. The trophy cabinets still speak for themselves. On the bright side:

1)This might be the wake up call Arsenal needs. If we finish outside the top 4, the mandate for next season will be "regaining our place in the top 4". That's it. The unspoken message will be that we can't compete with the balance sheets of City, Utd and Chelsea. Everything carries on. Business as usual.

Only a Spurs title might provide the shock to the system leading to a massive rethink, investments and the change in philosophy required. No more excuses could be made. Anything but this self-satisfied smugness at finishing 3rd/4th/5th year on year on year, with the clubs major ambitions relating to the bank balance rather than success on the pitch.

2)Its better than the alternatives - namely the Manchester clubs. Man City have not earned their current league position. And we're all sick to death of Man Utd's dominance. At least Spurs are where they are through smart management and the acquisition of talented players at reasonable prices.

Nothing will ever change that *word censored* Wenger or the boards philosophies, and for the life of me I cant see how any Gooner would rather have those **** *word censored* win the league rather than Man U or Man City, fucking unbelievable

REB

Post by REB »

cameron326 wrote:Still very unlikely to happen, but would it be such a bad thing? So Spurs would get gloating rights for a few seasons - no big deal. The trophy cabinets still speak for themselves. On the bright side:

dear god i did not just read that :evil:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

This has to be WUM.

Just a question no insult intended but how long have you been supporting arsenal?
Last edited by IW8Goalmachine on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

spike241

Post by spike241 »

For a second I thought Baba had started this thread...

No, it's not better than the alternatives! It's the worst possible scenario, I would much rather the mancs won the league

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

Nothing will ever change that c**t Wenger or the boards philosophies, and for the life of me I cant see how any Gooner would rather have those y** c**ts win the league rather than Man U or Man City, fucking unbelievable
Well, its not really Man City is it? Its money from a corrupt Saudi regime the likes of which should be allowed nothing to do wth English football. Its destroying the game in this country, while serving as great PR to prop up a vile regime. So yeah, I'd rather Spurs won it than them. Some things are a bit more important and significant than a few years bragging rights over your rival. Perhaps you dont have the intelligence to appreciate that.

As for Man Utd or Spurs, I couldn't really care less, I hate them both. Any other year I'd definitely favour a Man Utd title, but this year is differenct. The club is blatantly stagnating and maybe a shock to the system is what the club needs to initialise a bit of proper investment.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

If Spurs win the league the offices at Highbury House should be burned down, them winning will never be the best option.

euphoricone

Post by euphoricone »

id rather united win.

bunch

Post by bunch »

For a lot of Gooners I guess of the teams above Man U are the preferred title winners.

Never Spurs. They've done a good job this season you have to give them that though.

Me, I'm still anti-northerner enough to prefer Chelsea to win it out of the lot of them.

It's cack that we have to be talking about who we'd prefer to win it cos it won't be us.

Realistically, it will be one of the Mancs, and I'd just go with City because their stronger squad just about trumps United's winning experience and mentality.

SpanishJoe

Post by SpanishJoe »

Following the principle of 'me enemy's enemy is my friend' I rather any other club won the league rather than the Scum. I hate Manure and I hate what's happened with Citeh but both are preferable to me.

If the worst really did happen the only possible silver lining might be that it would cause sufficient anger that fans would finally protest against Silent Stan, the Board and AW. At the moment they are all getting a very easy ride.

If I had to choose a winner, I'd go for Citeh because there's no glory in confirming that 500 million can buy you pretty much anything you want.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

Unfortunately for as long as City, Utd and Chelsea - the big money clubs - dominate the league, the board will claim that, due to an uneven playing field, 4th place represents a massive success, and 5th/6th place is a good effort.

In the meantime we'll continue paying the highest prices in world football to achieve 4th place. Because thats the only way we can "keep up" and scrape a champions league place, while the board continues to stuff their pockets regardless of our failures on the pitch.

By the time the moneys run out - an average team can only be proitable for so long - the current millionaires will be long gone, having drained all the 'brand value' out of the club, and the fans will be left with a midtable club thats had its soul ripped out.

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

Lock the thread. Too horrible to think about.

Section the OP for own safety

skipper

Post by skipper »

someone mentioned the other day a Y*d mate of his who has over 100 posts on this forum. Pretty sure it's you.

Old Oak Gooner

Post by Old Oak Gooner »

GoonerN5 wrote:

Nothing will ever change that c**t Wenger or the boards philosophies, and for the life of me I cant see how any Gooner would rather have those y** c**ts win the league rather than Man U or Man City, fucking unbelievable

x2, it would be torture :evil:

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

Unfortunately, the original post writers thoughts sum up a lot of Arsenal supporters these days!

Would Spurs winning the league be such a bad thing?

Dear fucking God!

:roll:
Last edited by Percy Dalton on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.