Santos

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Santos

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

With the news that Santos is fit to play Newcastle it means the AFC are now pretty much back to what we call a full strength defence.

With this news I suspect that things defensively will improve and clean sheets will be regular.

For me having Sagna back is a bigger plus, but are you guys yet convinced that Santos is the real deal or should we stick with Gibbs?

bergkamp10

Re: Santos

Post by bergkamp10 »

Santos will be much better bet I think for next season. Gibbs is just to fragile, for me Santos the long-term LB.

tel

Post by tel »

Are we talking about the same bloke who looks overweight and out if breath after running 20 yards that joined us last August? I don't like Gibbs much but I don't see anything in Santos at all as a full back although oddly enough I think he'd be a better bet on the left side than Gervinho.

RioGooner

Post by RioGooner »

Can I dislike both of them? I don't think Gibbs is bad but he's body is unable to hold health for long, he isn't reliable. Santos is a bit better then him but still, can't mark for his life and is constantly overwheight. I'd go for a new LB in the summer and get rid of Gibbs

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

tel wrote:Are we talking about the same bloke who looks overweight and out if breath after running 20 yards that joined us last August? I don't like Gibbs much but I don't see anything in Santos at all as a full back although oddly enough I think he'd be a better bet on the left side than Gervinho.
The latest pictures show a very lean and fit looking Santos...he has certainly been working hard to get into shape

tel

Post by tel »

SammyDroppedHisShorts wrote:
tel wrote:Are we talking about the same bloke who looks overweight and out if breath after running 20 yards that joined us last August? I don't like Gibbs much but I don't see anything in Santos at all as a full back although oddly enough I think he'd be a better bet on the left side than Gervinho.
The latest pictures show a very lean and fit looking Santos...he has certainly been working hard to get into shape
He bloody wants to be as his conditioning was appalling until his injury. I'd need to see a big improvement before I change my opinion but also he'll need a few weeks before he's fully match fit I'd have thought too.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

both are poor, not only is gibbs injury prone - but he's lack of strength and positioning is a worry, Santos seems to be a better player going forward than defending

that would be a top priority in the summer for me,

g60gooner

Post by g60gooner »

Rosie_titters wrote:both are poor, not only is gibbs injury prone - but he's lack of strength and positioning is a worry, Santos seems to be a better player going forward than defending

that would be a top priority in the summer for me,
Agree with this.
Never been overly convinced by either of them, so it's a no lose/no win situation whoever is picked in the LB role. Definitely needs to be addressed in the Summer, unless Santos shows consistency in the last few games.

BaconSarnieGooner

Post by BaconSarnieGooner »

tel wrote:
SammyDroppedHisShorts wrote:
He bloody wants to be as his conditioning was appalling until his injury. I'd need to see a big improvement before I change my opinion but also he'll need a few weeks before he's fully match fit I'd have thought too.
Thought he was starting to get settled in before the ridiculous decision to play him in Greece and the injury. Needs to work on his positional awareness but puts himself about and is very good going forward, first choice for me over Gibbs

Sutch

Post by Sutch »

Santos at left back or a new one in the summer, play Gibbo on the left side of midfield - he's not a left back.

Juan

Post by Juan »

Would love Leighton Baines, solid defender, can put a good ball in

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

They're both a bit lacking in the "defending" part of their job. The goal we conceded at Anfield is a case in point. Gibbs was our most advanced player and lost the ball in their penalty area. He proceded to stroll back while the scousers worked the ball into the empty postcode that Gibbs was showing no urgency to get back into. I like Gibbs but he (and the whole defence) need coaching in defending!

augie

Post by augie »

Santos gets my vote - gibbs was gone awol so many times v milan that I thought that we were playing with 10 men :?

RocastleRock

Post by RocastleRock »

Good to be back guys.

I like Gibb's and think if (and thats a big IF)he can keep himself fit for a while he'll only improve.

Gibb's first choice for me and santos who i'm glad is back should be his back up.

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

I don't rate Gibbs at all, his positioning is woeful. A shame as he seems a nice lad and is good going forward.

Santos is far stronger defensively, and it's good to see he does indeed seem leaner.