The Alex Song Question

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Is Alex Song a good player that is helping Arsenal FC?

Yes.
29%
No.
71%

Total votes: 63

Barriecuda

The Alex Song Question

Post by Barriecuda »

Is he a good player that is helping Arsenal Football Club?

Re: The Alex Song Question

Post by 1989 »

Neither really.

He might be helping us with his assists but that is cancelled out by his non existent defending.

If you look at it in the context of what his role is supposed to be, then he certainly isn't helping us, quite the opposite in fact.

milesgooner

Post by milesgooner »

I think he is a good player that isn't helping Arsenal at the moment. It's clear he doesn't have the nous to read the game well enough to be a defensive midfielder. However if you have him as part of a midfield 3 (Arteta, Song, Wilshere) where he can help the defensive and attacking midfielders, he will be at his most effective. Unfortunately he is playing out of position because there is no-one who can do Arteta's job.

tel

Post by tel »

1989 wrote:Neither really.

He might be helping us with his assists but that is cancelled out by his non existent defending.

If you look at it in the context of what his role is supposed to be, then he certainly isn't helping us, quite the opposite in fact.
+1. A decent coach would've tackled this problem as our leaky defence needs a shield in front of it.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Needs to be sold in the Summer and not be rewarded with a new contract as his is approaching that time I believe.

To sum him up, yesterday he created an important goal than gave away a more important one, that is him all over.

This team that we've had to watch develop over the last few years needs to change, there was progress last year when Almunia, Bendtner and Denilson were frozen out, Song, Walcott, Djourou and that other waste of space Diaby need to be next or this team has no chance.

They have all been key players for whatever reason which is why the team has been shit because they are not good enough.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Diaby has been key as he's refused to buy a strong midfielder as he's been relying on him coming back, he's even repeated it yesterday, he doesn't come back which means we are lacking in that area as the cover is not up to it.

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

I really can't stand Song, just looking at him casually strolling around as though he thinks he's the dogs bollocks makes me sick. Cash in and get rid and get someone in who actually does what a DM should do.

augie

Post by augie »

I hate this c**t with a passion and probably more than any other current player and believe me there are a number of candidates in that race :x He sums up that lazy, arrogant, cant be arsed attitude that is rampant amongst these players and that fcuking "hairstyle" makes jason lee's look artistic :roll: :evil: :evil: :evil: His lack of discipline positionally also sums up the "everyone for themselves and no-one for the team" ethos in our players and we all seen in recent games just how shit our midfield is without arteta. GG would chew this clown up and spit him out as he wouldnt take his attitude for a second :evil: :evil: Hope inter come in with a big bid (anything over 12m will do me) so we can offload another waster

GunnerTino

Post by GunnerTino »

Song never has been a player I've rated,his occasional assists in no way make up for the constant fuck ups over the last few years. To me he embodies everything that is wrong with Wenger's Arsenal,plays in a comfort zone of knowing there's no real competition for places it's almost like he plays with a "who the fuck else could he play?" attitude.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

bit of a pointless thread :roll:

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

He is a decent player, but fuck me he's lazy. Seems to think he's able to do fuck all defending, and just swan around doing nothing, he's got to pull his weight defensively, which he don't do.

I do love those chipped passes to RVP though, they have been a get out of jail card for us quite a few times this season 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

SWLGooner wrote:He is a decent player, but fuck me he's lazy. Seems to think he's able to do fuck all defending, and just swan around doing nothing, he's got to pull his weight defensively, which he don't do.

I do love those chipped passes to RVP though, they have been a get out of jail card for us quite a few times this season 8)
^^^this^^^

He needs someone to actually teach him the game AND somone to marshall him on the pitch - he seems a bit of a space cadet to say the least :roll:

Ray

Post by Ray »

Absolute liability of a player. I can't see us winning anything with him in our team.

Abandons his defensive duties, gives away silly free kicks, throws possession away chasing a spectacular pass. He plays in a crucial position for us and we desperately need a proper player in that role.

A passenger that has needed our other players to carry him for years. :cussing:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

As well as death and taxes I think we can add 'he's being played out of position' as one of life's certainties, a guaranteed response to any player getting criticism. Could someone please explain how playing Sheepshead, a central midfielder, in central midfield, is playing him out of position?
Even if you have the misguided belief that the ponderous dimwit would be better played further forward it doesn't excuse him from tackling and covering. Rosicky has played the more attacking role but has still found time to close players down and make tackles.

Watching him constantly give away possession, give away fouls, slow the play down etc I think we have to conclude that he is just too fucking stupid to play for a top club.

augie

Post by augie »

Rosie_titters wrote:bit of a pointless thread :roll:

Because ?? :? It seems to be a landslide vote anyway (14 votes to 1 at the mo) which suggests that maybe most fans are finally accepting him as the liability that he is