THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
supergeorgegraham

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by supergeorgegraham »

DB10GOONER wrote:
supergeorgegraham wrote:I guess there were times when we didn't have money after the stadium. We all waiting until that was paid off and gave the manager the benefit of the doubt.
Now we all know we have money but still we don't see it invested in a squad that is calling out for a defender and a striker.
I see it as a huge slap in the face to the fans of Arsenal FC. I think some of those that were on the fence last season will finely have had enough this coming season.
That old myth again... :roll: :lol:

When were those times? When we were overpaying shit like Song, Denilson, Almunia, Flappy, Vela etc etc top wages that were competitive with any of the big teams in the PL? The money (to a very usable extent) was always there; Wenger just wasted and mis-spent it on overpaying Project Ego players for years after it was obvious they were shit. :|
Who can answer why we went from buying Overmars, Petit, Vieira, Henry, Sol Campbell, Pires, Llungburg, to what came after 2006. One fact is that we signed these players on the cheap and that just stopped working.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
supergeorgegraham wrote:I guess there were times when we didn't have money after the stadium. We all waiting until that was paid off and gave the manager the benefit of the doubt.
Now we all know we have money but still we don't see it invested in a squad that is calling out for a defender and a striker.
I see it as a huge slap in the face to the fans of Arsenal FC. I think some of those that were on the fence last season will finely have had enough this coming season.

When were those times? When we were overpaying shit like Song, Denilson, Almunia, Flappy, Vela etc etc top wages that were competitive with any of the big teams in the PL? The money (to a very usable extent) was always there; Wenger just wasted and mis-spent it on overpaying Project Ego players for years after it was obvious they were shit. :|
Who can answer why we went from buying Overmars, Petit, Vieira, Henry, Sol Campbell, Pires, Llungburg, to what came after 2006. One fact is that we signed these players on the cheap and that just stopped working.
Project Ego is why we signed what came after 2006. Wenger, in his arrogance, decided he was going to build the perfect team of unknowns, that he had discovered, turn them into superstars, and dominate European and domestic football for a decade. When it was obvious he had failed his ego made him persist with the Project for years, wasting millions in huge wages.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

DB10GOONER wrote:
supergeorgegraham wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Project Ego is why we signed what came after 2006. Wenger, in his arrogance, decided he was going to build the perfect team of unknowns, that he had discovered, turn them into superstars, and dominate European and domestic football for a decade. When it was obvious he had failed his ego made him persist with the Project for years, wasting millions in huge wages.
Yeah I can't disagree with that. Last season I looked at what the spuds players were on compared to ours. Quite shocking really.
One thing I will never understand is how a manager who saw how good players like Vieira and Campbell were in terms of success and quality suddenly decided other types of midfielders and less quality defenders would be successful.
Last edited by supergeorgegraham on Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robin_L

Post by Robin_L »

'Project Ego', like it :lol:

Should become the catchphrase for the 2nd half of Wenger's dictatorship

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

He has turned our club into a laughing stock.They were ripping the piss out of us on "Sportsbar" last night, and again this morning.
Sky Sports News has also obviously decided that our "challenge" for the title has virtually zero credibility as they don't even include Wenger in the backdrop which features the main contenders. :banghead:

postmanPat91

Post by postmanPat91 »

Wenger's like the senile old man at a family do, insulting people and talking absolute shite. No one says anything, they just let them get on with it out of sentimentality. Deep down though, everyone wishes they'd shut the fuck up.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

postmanPat91 wrote:Wenger's like the senile old man at a family do, insulting people and talking absolute shite. No one says anything, they just let them get on with it out of sentimentality. Deep down though, everyone wishes they'd shut the fuck up.
The football equivalent of Prince Philip.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
supergeorgegraham wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Yeah I can't disagree with that. Last season I looked at what the spuds players were on compared to ours. Quite shocking really.
One thing I will never understand is how a manager who saw how good players like Vieira and Campbell were in terms of success and quality suddenly decided other types of midfielders and less quality defenders would be successful.
Yeah, it's depressing.

I've always said that the 2004 Invincibles season was a mixed blessing as it was probably the worst thing that has happened for the long term health of The Arsenal. Yeah it was an amazing season and we all have superb memories of it etc., but it was the fuel that lit the fire under Project Ego for Wenger. Suddenly he had it confirmed to his mind - he actually was the genius he knew he was and there was the proof! The media and those in the game were slavish in their praise, after all in going a whole league season unbeaten, he had done something in the English top flight that none of the great managers of the game had managed to do; not Graham, Clough, Dalglish, Ferguson, Paisley, Shankley.

He then decided he could do no wrong, that no one knew as much as he, and went about building that perfect footballing team consisting only of players that he had discovered and developed. We all know how that turned out. :|

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Rugby Gooner wrote:He has turned our club into a laughing stock.They were ripping the piss out of us on "Sportsbar" last night, and again this morning.
Sky Sports News has also obviously decided that our "challenge" for the title has virtually zero credibility as they don't even include Wenger in the backdrop which features the main contenders. :banghead:
I heard that cringey bastard Robbie, from Arsenal fan TV, was going to be on there.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

For anyone still backing Wenger out there....again the guy is Culpable.....Obvious to see repeat MISTAKES, issues ignored, mistakes repeated......

The season has not yet even begun and already Arsenal are ensconced in their first injury crisis. In the past, the Gunners have been struck badly by ill-fortune, robbing them of key players in a spookily systematic manner. However, this time Arsene Wenger must accept a big portion of the blame. This mess is largely of Arsenal’s own making.

For someone on over £8 MILLION a year this is beyond a JOKE

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Probably will offer Johny Evans £100K a fucking week now.....in mad panic...senile old fraud

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

officepest wrote:
postmanPat91 wrote:Wenger's like the senile old man at a family do, insulting people and talking absolute shite. No one says anything, they just let them get on with it out of sentimentality. Deep down though, everyone wishes they'd shut the fuck up.
The football equivalent of Prince Philip.

Without the inbreeding and overt racism. :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Redarmy wrote:For anyone still backing Wenger out there....again the guy is Culpable.....Obvious to see repeat MISTAKES, issues ignored, mistakes repeated......

The season has not yet even begun and already Arsenal are ensconced in their first injury crisis. In the past, the Gunners have been struck badly by ill-fortune, robbing them of key players in a spookily systematic manner. However, this time Arsene Wenger must accept a big portion of the blame. This mess is largely of Arsenal’s own making.

If that's a quote can you list where from please?

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Redarmy wrote:For anyone still backing Wenger out there....again the guy is Culpable.....Obvious to see repeat MISTAKES, issues ignored, mistakes repeated......

James McNicholas uMaxit Football.....

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Redarmy wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

James McNicholas uMaxit Football.....
Thank you, sir.