THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
xisstential

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by xisstential »

Nos89 wrote:
xisstential wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
xisstential wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
Because Arsenal FC doesn't exist anymore. It is now and has been for 10 years a business operation. Wenger maintains a consistent and profitable team, keeping the share holders happy. Customer satisfaction has declined but when has that ever got a senior business partner the sack, whilst revenue consistently increases year on year?
It's that simple really.
Another reason is that no top manager who wants to win titles both domestically or in Europe will ever come to Arsenal whilst this board is in situ. So, all these supporters claiming we will do better without Wenger as we'll get a top manager who will buy the players and coach them into winners, need to think again. If we can't attract Vardy from Leicester, do we really think we can attract one of the world greats managers? Not a chance in hell with the constraints they will be working under.
There you go again......You always do this, support Wenger in a backhanded way. I wish you would have the balls to come out and say that you support him unconditionally instead of constantly making excuses for him. Here once again is the intimation that it is not the manager who is the problem, but the board who has constraints on him. In reality it is the other way around... Wenger is Kroenke's boy, he does his masters bidding, and the board submit to Wenger, not the other way around.

We cannot attract players because I believe players have finally woken up to the fact that Wenger puts profit before trophy's and they will NEVER win anything at Arsenal. It's not attracting a new manager (hell we cannot even get rid of the one we have) that is the problem, the problem is no decent player wants to play for WENGER. And Wenger has helped shape and create the board that HE wants. Once Wenger goes EVERYTHING will change. I concede that Kroenke is a total prat as well, but WENGER has created the culture that is at Arsenal today.
By stating "Wenger is Kroenke's boy" you've just agreed with my argument.
Once Wenger goes, nothing will change whilst we have this board in place.
What don't you get?? The board is shit scared of Wenger because of his sycophantic relationship with Kroenke. Wenger has used his Svengali like influence on the board like he has the fans. Wenger HAS money, he WILL NOT spend it because he has a better way and the board are too scared to stand up to him. Any half decent manager who replaces him WILL spend the money on offer and the board will be behind his programme & ambition, not a slave to it like they are with Wenger's. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that most of them despise him.

Wenger is a despot, he has shown his true colours time & time again. If ANYBODY opposes him he makes sure they go. If there were ever to be a huge confrontational bust up that whole board will go before he does.
Haha, Wenger has mystical powers over Kroenke's. Thats funny.
Anyway, your team beat Arsenal on Sunday, thought you'd be happy?
You appear to be a leeetle beet dim.

Didn't you also say a couple of weeks back that Martinez is a great manager?? Further proof if it was needed.......

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Nos89 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Not much about modern Arsenal really angers me anymore - I feel more a sense of hopeless despondency... :| but Wenger's "not ready" comment is still boiling my piss. :x How can we not be ready? Why didn't he can the Euro's punditry and spend that time getting us ready?

Imagine your boss asking why the high-profile multi-million pound project he handed you went tits up and you answering; "Well, we weren't ready. I spent the last month or so working for another company and didn't have time to get our thing ready." That would be a sacking right the fuck there. :roll:

We weren't ready. :roll:

Jesus. Fucking. Christ. :banghead: :evil:
Same here, I know if I used that excuse at work for performing poorly at a given deadline, I'd be taken to a disciplinary or out the door. The board have done nothing but accept it.
Whilst I agree the board are wrong to accept it, you must also admit that Wenger is in the wrong for actually doing it. We can't just blame the board. Wenger has to also take responsibility for his own actions - and inactions too.
Yes, he does have to take responsibility. His get out is that he's the team manager, not the managing director. Thats why he should be castigated for team affairs...like not being ready for the start of the season, and the board for not taking action in the transfer market and taking action, challenging the manager to deliver a lot more than he is.
He's the team manager??? Really.... I would have attributed a lot of roles at Arsenal to him, team manager not being one of them.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

The Glasers have taken a lot of stick at United but they ALWAYS back their manager with a huge transfer budget. The Yanks at Liverpool do the same. The big difference with every other club (other than Arsenal that is) is that the manager WANTS to spend, to build the team. Our senile wanker just wants to save money, not spend. Arsenal are finished for as long as Wonga is at the club.

doublewinners1971

Post by doublewinners1971 »

More from Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger on transfers. Measured, thoughtful, cautious.

"We are not scared to spend money but to buy in itself is not a quality - to buy good players is. This club has been built on that.

"The transfer policy we have had here has helped build the club. I know we haven't done as much as many people but we are out there. I have made 400 transfers in my life and I know every one has a rhythm that you are not the only one to decide on.

"It's better for me not to speak about any player. But I would like to reassure you that we are not afraid to spend the money we have and we are working very hard."

What a pillock! He has made some disastrous signings over the years!!

A last word from Wenger on injury news - he says Laurent Koscielny is close to returning and Aaron Ramsey "should be back after the international break".

Could Koscielny make it back for Saturday? What about Mesut Ozil and Olivier Giroud?

"Maybe I will take a gamble on bringing them back early but I have 48 hours to decide."

You would rather play two clueless players in defence against Liverpool in the opening day of the season and rest your best defender for one more game. What use is he in the stands! Get stuck in - it's opening day of the season! Overpaid ****heads!!

NickF

Post by NickF »

also this gem from the press conference:

"On the whole transfer market there is very little happening because of the availability of players. You can play huge amounts of money for average players - there are plenty of those - but to find the ones who will strengthen your squad, that is more difficult."

How he can sit there and claim players aren't available is absolutely amazing.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

NickF wrote:also this gem from the press conference:

"On the whole transfer market there is very little happening because of the availability of players. You can play huge amounts of money for average players - there are plenty of those - but to find the ones who will strengthen your squad, that is more difficult."

Because he is under no pressure from anyone. No one at the Emirates does much other than a smattering of boos and to be hushed down or overriden with 'One Arsene Wenger' chants. Then you have the people who are quite clearly not happy, but pay there money and buy the new kits and renew their season tickets. For an absentee owner, this is a dream club. His investment goes up because of the pound notes coming in from the fans, television money, Champions League and the Accountant in Chief, Wenger.

Myles Palmer put it quite well in his column this morning, so I will quote him here - "The bigger picture is this: your club is paralysed by an agreement between the worst possible owner and the worst possible manager.

It’s the contract from hell."

Well said there.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

begeegs wrote:

Because he is under no pressure from anyone. No one at the Emirates does much other than a smattering of boos and to be hushed down or overriden with 'One Arsene Wenger' chants. Then you have the people who are quite clearly not happy, but pay there money and buy the new kits and renew their season tickets. For an absentee owner, this is a dream club. His investment goes up because of the pound notes coming in from the fans, television money, Champions League and the Accountant in Chief, Wenger.

Myles Palmer put it quite well in his column this morning, so I will quote him here - "The bigger picture is this: your club is paralysed by an agreement between the worst possible owner and the worst possible manager.

It’s the contract from hell."

Well said there.
Absolutely true. A dream club for a useless bastard owner, and for a past-it manager with Wenger's insane ego it's a dream job; no pressure, no one to answer to, do as you please, get paid millions. And yet some stupid fuckers think Wenger will just walk away in May and all will be suddenly rosy again... :roll: :lol:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

xisstential wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Not much about modern Arsenal really angers me anymore - I feel more a sense of hopeless despondency... :| but Wenger's "not ready" comment is still boiling my piss. :x How can we not be ready? Why didn't he can the Euro's punditry and spend that time getting us ready?

Imagine your boss asking why the high-profile multi-million pound project he handed you went tits up and you answering; "Well, we weren't ready. I spent the last month or so working for another company and didn't have time to get our thing ready." That would be a sacking right the fuck there. :roll:

We weren't ready. :roll:

Jesus. Fucking. Christ. :banghead: :evil:
Same here, I know if I used that excuse at work for performing poorly at a given deadline, I'd be taken to a disciplinary or out the door. The board have done nothing but accept it.
Whilst I agree the board are wrong to accept it, you must also admit that Wenger is in the wrong for actually doing it. We can't just blame the board. Wenger has to also take responsibility for his own actions - and inactions too.
Yes, he does have to take responsibility. His get out is that he's the team manager, not the managing director. Thats why he should be castigated for team affairs...like not being ready for the start of the season, and the board for not taking action in the transfer market and taking action, challenging the manager to deliver a lot more than he is.
He's the team manager??? Really.... I would have attributed a lot of roles at Arsenal to him, team manager not being one of them.
So what is Wenger's official job title? Not the imaginary one you think he has, his actual job title?
Martinez is a good manager, two years ago a lot of people wanted him to take over at Arsenal. Rumours link Arsenal to Eddie Howe as a Wenger replacement. Another, good manager.
As I've said before we will not get a great manager to take over from Wenger whilst we have this board.

Ed Hunter The Gooner

Post by Ed Hunter The Gooner »

And what makes that statement even more laughable is that his own team is full of very average players. There are tens or even hundreds of players available that could strengthen his team. Just pay the price and get over it! :banghead:

Ed Hunter The Gooner

Post by Ed Hunter The Gooner »

Nos89 wrote:
xisstential wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
So what is Wenger's official job title? Not the imaginary one you think he has, his actual job title?
Martinez is a good manager, two years ago a lot of people wanted him to take over at Arsenal. Rumours link Arsenal to Eddie Howe as a Wenger replacement. Another, good manager.
As I've said before we will not get a great manager to take over from Wenger whilst we have this board.
I'm not so sure about this. I still think that the resources are there, Ivan the fuckwit has said that many times and so has wenker himself. Financially the club is in top condition, all the facilities are top notch so why wouldn't world class manager want to take the job? There are managers out there who has done great job with much smaller resources like Simeoni to name one.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Ed Hunter The Gooner wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
xisstential wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
I'm not so sure about this. I still think that the resources are there, Ivan the fuckwit has said that many times and so has wenker himself. Financially the club is in top condition, all the facilities are top notch so why wouldn't world class manager want to take the job? There are managers out there who has done great job with much smaller resources like Simeoni to name one.
I agree. For reasons I listed earlier I don't think we will struggle to appoint a decent new manager. The problem is vacating the manager's job. Wenger will not walk away. The owner/board will not sack him. The problem is NOT replacing him. The problem is removing him. :|

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
xisstential wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
I agree. For reasons I listed earlier I don't think we will struggle to appoint a decent new manager. The problem is vacating the manager's job. Wenger will not walk away. The owner/board will not sack him. The problem is NOT replacing him. The problem is removing him. :|
Only time will tell on this one. I seriously hope to be proved wrong by the board.
Removing him is easy...its the emotional...sorry...the financial attachment the board have with him. Wenger makes them money by somehow delivering champions league football every season. By hook or by crook, he'll do it again this season. I'm still laughing at how we managed to finish second last season, above Spurs...no trophy but still funny as fuck.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Nos89 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote: I agree. For reasons I listed earlier I don't think we will struggle to appoint a decent new manager. The problem is vacating the manager's job. Wenger will not walk away. The owner/board will not sack him. The problem is NOT replacing him. The problem is removing him. :|
Only time will tell on this one. I seriously hope to be proved wrong by the board.
Removing him is easy...its the emotional...sorry...the financial attachment the board have with him. Wenger makes them money by somehow delivering champions league football every season. By hook or by crook, he'll do it again this season. I'm still laughing at how we managed to finish second last season, above Spurs...no trophy but still funny as fuck.
Not while the majority worship him as a god it isn't.

Only when the majority turn on him will the board actually have to do something, until then they don't have to do anything.
Gazidis once said something like "the fans will decide when Wenger goes", we are nowhere near that point yet.

Robin_L

Post by Robin_L »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Robin_L wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
BFG4 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Absolute horseshit. If any other player from that team (the ones that had earned the right by playing) had questioned the club's ambition I'd say fair fucks, but not that cúnt. You paint him (the bit in red) as if he was some kind of Honest John, and that the only issue was on the club's side, when in reality, he was a hypocrite. I ask you again; why did he not question the club's ambition during his years sitting on the treatment table? :roll:

"Expecting" loyalty might seem silly to you, but demanding it is not - not to me anyway. I have no idea how old you are, but in my generation, you earned the right to do something, you demonstrated loyalty, you contributed, you earned the right to have an opinion, you weren't entitled to it. But it's now right for a player that has contributed fuck all to dictate things?? Fuck that. :roll:

To excuse disloyalty like it's nothing smacks of everything that stinks about modern football - something nearly everyone on here has criticised for years... :roll:
I'm not suggesting that I'm happy for players to show fuck all loyalty, but I think its illogical to expect it in the modern game. You could argue, that academy players aside, every player shows disloyalty to move somewhere else. I still don't know what you expected RVP to do. Lets put it this way, we all support the club, and can still see the clear problems that exist from top to bottom, but we love the club, so we are forced to put up with it. However, a player who knows it's his job, is hardly going to put up with these same problems, when he is being offered a better deal somewhere else. Each to their own, but I don't believe any player in modern day football, loves the team they play for, and you can include any of our current squad within that. I support whoever puts on an Arsenal jersey on, but I don't believe for a second, that there isn't a price, that wouldn't see them go somewhere else.
I don't think you understand my point here. What offends me is not RVJC leaving. Players leave - it happens. What offends me is the way his actions have been justified by some Gooners as the actions of a normal decent person, as if his actions shouldn't be questioned or criticised. People coming on here saying he shouldn't get abuse for what he did. THAT's what I disagree with. If he had questioned the club's ambition and walked out on his 100K a week after, I dunno say, 4 years lying on our treatment table because the club didn't match his ambition I'd say fine, no problem. But to spend 9 years malingering on our treatment table, being paid millions, and never once question the club, and then after the one banker of a season he suddenly now questions the club and cashes in for a move to the Filth? That's the actions of a cúnt.
Did he spend 9 years malingering on our treatment table? This is some quite startling revisionist history from some Arsenal supporters.

Van Persie's appearances for Arsenal, all comps: 41, 38, 31, 23, 44, 19, 33, 48. He made a total of 277 appearances across 8 seasons, averaging over 34 a season.

Let's compare this with Jack Wilshere. I'll chalk off his first two development seasons, so let's say we've had 6 full seasons of Jack Wilshere, post-Bolton loan. He totals 142 apps in that time, or around 23 a season.

Tomas Rosicky. 247 apps in 10 seasons, less than 25 a season. Wally Walcott, a player who most wouldn't even place in the highest bracket of Arsenal's injured contingent, he's on 321 from his 10 full seasons here, 32 a season. Less than Walcott.

van Persie's had 2 seasons out of 8 that were properly injury disrupted and even in those he appeared in nearly half our league games.

So all in all, this whole thing that's sprung up about 'greedy disloyal van Persie constantly injured year after year and then fucking off his one goal-heavy season' is just bollocks, there's no other way to say it. He gave the best years of his career to this club, was surrounded for most of it by sub-standard mediocrity and an increasingly flawed manager. I don't blame him at all for jumping ship to claim a nailed on title with United. Not one bit.
Revisionist history? :lol: Coming from you that's hilarious! :lol: :lol:

Love your dishonest use of stats to back a dead argument.

"Van Persie's appearances for Arsenal, all comps: 41, 38, 31, 23, 44, 19, 33, 48." :roll: Yeah... maximise the stats without qualifying them. Include as many cup games as you can there. Piss funny. :lol: :roll:

Now, pull your head out of your arse and take an honest look at his appearances. Especially the word "appearances". That word is disingenuous. That's the number of times he got on the pitch, whether it was for 90 minutes or 10 minutes, whether as a starter or a sub. It doesn't mean he put in that number of full games.

He is specifically associated with wanting to win the PL and with Arsenal not matching that ambition. So let's look at his PL "appearances".

04/05 = 26
05/06 = 24
06/07 = 22
07/08 = 15
08/09 = 28
09/10 = 16
10/11 = 25
11/12 = 38

That's not full games either, it includes numerous subs and going off injured. And there was me thinking the PL season was 38 full games! He managed ONE full season in 8 seasons with us.

One "goal heavy" season?? Exactly. In those 8 seasons he only hit 20+ PL goals ONCE and indeed he only managed double figures at all 4 times. In the big scheme of things his contribution was nothing but the odd spectacular goal.

"He gave the best years of his career to this club" :lol: :oops: None of the utter gash you have posted above changes the fact he could have questioned the club's ambition at any time during that period and he didn't. He just took his millions and stayed shtum. :roll:

What RVJC has to do with any of those other players you list is beyond me. The discussion was about RVJC. But hey, try and justify your argument any way you can! :lol:
So in every game where he didn't appear for 90 minutes was down to injury was it? *facepalm*

Why are you discounting his cup games and European games? Are you serious? :lol: Of course it's his overall appearances that matter, because it relates to his availability for selection, which concerns the myth of his injury proneness over the long term.

I do love how you criticise people for abuse on this forum whilst hiding behind barely disguised abuse of your own. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, you're wrong regarding van Persie and it's far from "utter gash" to state otherwise, but you seem a rather temperamental individual so i won't try and reason with you any further :wink: xxx
Last edited by Robin_L on Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
xisstential wrote:
Then how is it "easy" to remove him?