THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
armchair

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by armchair »

The problem we have is very Arsenal-specific. Its a unique situation.

Fans are split. I believe there are more that want him to leave than want him to stay but.......

Those that want him out are also split......
We have people who attend games and are prepared to bring banners etc and risk being assaulted/abused or seen on TV etc by their bosses/employers. Or sanctioned by the club.
There are those that want him out but are not prepared to take that risk and prefer to just give tacit support.

Those that are prepared to do banners are not a big organised group. They are maybe several different groups of people (ones, twos, threes) unknown to eachother.
The problem is getting everyone organised, at the same game, together, ready to go.

An example was Hull Saturday. I had my 8yr old boy with me but another couple of wobs offered to show the Time For Change banner at the final whistle. I smuggled it in and went to them at full time. Only to find one had left and the other pissed out his head. Had to abandon that time.

Last time we abandoned was the last game of last season when Spurs capitulated. Atmosphere was like we'd just won CL. There was about 5 banners in that day of differing sizes but it wouldnt have ended well so we decided to keep our powder dry.

But as I've said its not over until its over and we'll keep plugging away but we definitely have a much more complicated and difficult set of circumstances than other clubs fans who have forced a change.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

All the talk since Chelsea was about the manager, should he stay or should he go, with the go narrative being pushed heavily.

The back page of every newspaper yesterday morning ran with the "Wenger's Leaving" story started by Wrighty.

So you'd think the sheep would rally big time around their messiah at yesterday's home game belting out multiple renditions of TO1AW right?, that's certainly what would have happened a few years back anyway.

Instead what did we get? Nothing, not a peep. For the life of me I can't remember the last time that particular ditty got an airing. There's a general acceptance from the majority now that he should go, I just pray he does.

Big Sac

Post by Big Sac »

I know its all if's and maybe's at the moment, but IF Wenger left at the end of the season and IF you were in the crowd for his final game how would you react.
There is a lot of hatred and frustration with people on here, but if you knew he would be gone (not upstairs or club ambassador etc) as he walked past on his lap of honour would you have to hurl abuse to release the years of built up anger or would you be able to give respectful applause for the fantastic years he did give us knowing that he would be finally gone???

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Big Sac wrote:I know its all if's and maybe's at the moment, but IF Wenger left at the end of the season and IF you were in the crowd for his final game how would you react.
There is a lot of hatred and frustration with people on here, but if you knew he would be gone (not upstairs or club ambassador etc) as he walked past on his lap of honour would you have to hurl abuse to release the years of built up anger or would you be able to give respectful applause for the fantastic years he did give us knowing that he would be finally gone???
Tbh i'd celebrate his leaving but i'd do neither of the above, i'd just stay silent, he no longer deserves the applause he'd have got if he left even 3 years ago but he does deserve some semblance of remembrance of what he once did and therefore for me open abuse would be a no,no!

No matter what comes next it cannot be worse than the current purgatory :roll:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Big Sac wrote:I know its all if's and maybe's at the moment, but IF Wenger left at the end of the season and IF you were in the crowd for his final game how would you react.
Who cares...bugger off and be gone, you've overstayed your welcome by at least 5 or 6 years, pissing off thousands of people to the stage where they want to put their foot through their tv's.. I don't care if he does a lap of honour around the M25, just keep walking, I'm sick of the sight of him.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

xisstential wrote:
Who cares...bugger off and be gone, you've overstayed your welcome by at least 5 or 6 years, pissing off thousands of people to the stage where they want to put their foot through their tv's.. I don't care if he does a lap of honour around the M25, just keep walking, I'm sick of the sight of him.
Totally agree 8) He has shown us fans zero respect these last few years so fuck him.I actually despise him now for how he has made me feel about my club.I would probably celebrate like I did when we won the league cup in 87 and 93 8) :barscarf:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Couldn't care less about getting a vitriolic send off in if and when he does decide to go.

The club will organise some sort of parade or fanfare after the last home game and if I happen to be there I will just leave before all that nonsense.

Still think he is very likely to be staying though for 2 more years.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Anybody see Keown's idiocy on MOTD? Wenger's time is coming to an end, but the club isn't ready for him to leave so he should have a new one or two year deal so that the board have the chance to find somebody else in his mouldy and he can be involved in that process.

Complete and utter garbage.

We don't just need Wexit, we need a hard Wexit.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Some priceless shite on this thread... apparently if you think a protest won't remove Wenger, then you do not really want Wenger gone... :lol: :roll:

I'll take this opportunity to also remind some of our posters that we allow different view points on this forum. Deal with it.

Finally, anyone see Peter Reid on Goals on Sunday? Reid's response to Where's My Daddy Kamara's question of "Is Wenger's time up?" was priceless; "All I'll say to Arsenal fans is, careful what you wish for. Be careful what you wish for".

Ben Sheppard then asked him to expand on that.

"Just... be careful what you wish for...Um... just... y'know, just be careful what you wish for..." responded the ever erudite Reid. Some channel is missing a real opportunity to get this guy in as a major pundit... :lol:

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Point taken about different views and I apologise for suggesting those who claimed they wanted a change of manager but didn't think protests would achieve anything were in any sense 'double-agents'. It is frustrating when you are disenfranchised and care deeply about the Club. I personally could only offer words of encouragement to those who are at least prepared to give it a real go, whether deep down I thought it would make a difference or not. Think Trump- he ain't going anywhere for at least four years, but there are plenty in America out there with banners and saying 'not in our name'. I dont feel strongly about him either way tbh, but I respect their passion for their cause. Use whatever voice you have or encourage those prepared to do so.

The fact that there are so few in the media prepared to say anything other than in defence of Wenger being allowed to continue as long as he chooses makes it even more imporant that those who disagree - most of the real fans, not the JCLs and tourists - redress the balance as loudly and passionately as possible.
Last edited by Bob Bayliss on Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Point taken about different views and I apologise for suggesting those who claimed they wanted a change of manager but didn't think protests would achieve anything were in any sense 'double-agents'. It is frustrating when you are disenfranchised and care deeply about the Club. I personally could only offer words of encouragement to those who are at least prepared to give it a real go, whether deep down I thought it would make a difference or not. Think Trump- he ain't going anywhere for at least four years, but there are plenty in America out there with banners and saying 'not in our name'. I don't feel strongly about him either way tbh, but I respect their passion for their cause. Use whatever voice you have or encourage those prepared to do so.

The fact that there are so few in the media prepared to say anything other than in defence of Wenger being allowed to continue as long as he chooses makes it even more important that those who disagree - most of the real fans, not the JCLs and tourists - redress the balance as loudly and passionately as possible.
Last edited by Bob Bayliss on Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:Some priceless shite on this thread... apparently if you think a protest won't remove Wenger, then you do not really want Wenger gone... :lol: :roll:

I'll take this opportunity to also remind some of our posters that we allow different view points on this forum. Deal with it.

Finally, anyone see Peter Reid on Goals on Sunday? Reid's response to Where's My Daddy Kamara's question of "Is Wenger's time up?" was priceless; "All I'll say to Arsenal fans is, careful what you wish for. Be careful what you wish for".

"Just... be careful what you wish for...Um... just... y'know, just be careful what you wish for..." responded the ever erudite Reid. Some channel is missing a real opportunity to get this guy in as a major pundit... :lol:

I certainly didn't say that 8)

You and me have disagreed on this before and I know that, but I have to say that the waving of the white flag by Gooners (not specifically you btw) is very, very demoralising imo :( We all know that the board have neither the cajones nor the inclination to sack the senile old French c.unt, but hand on your heart, do you agree that the man does not react at all well when criticised publicly ? Thank Jackie oatley or steward robson or paul merson or any of the media slating of him in recent years, and then think about his barbed responses. Think about his downright disrespectful responses to criticism from the fans every single time they questioned him. As I said previously, the man has a god complex and does not like to be question/crucified over his performance and decision making - anybody with that mentality thinks that they are always right and thinks they should be worshipped 24/7, and I don't believe that he would stick around to be constantly questioned by mere mortals who haven't worked 30 years in football like he has. This thought process seems to be consistant with the media viewpoint cos they too are saying that his decision to stay or leave will be influenced by the reaction of the fans in the coming months and that is why I believe that fan protests, booing and banners will be very important to what happens in the short term - will it be enough to force him out ? I don't know tbh, but I would still rather encourage those Gooners who know that he has to be forced out and are willing to try their best to make it happen, than telling them that they are wasting their time cos doing nothing has zero hope of getting a positive outcome imo

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Some priceless shite on this thread... apparently if you think a protest won't remove Wenger, then you do not really want Wenger gone... :lol: :roll:

I certainly didn't say that 8)

You and me have disagreed on this before and I know that, but I have to say that the waving of the white flag by Gooners (not specifically you btw) is very, very demoralising imo :( We all know that the board have neither the cajones nor the inclination to sack the senile old French c.unt, but hand on your heart, do you agree that the man does not react at all well when criticised publicly ? Thank Jackie oatley or steward robson or paul merson or any of the media slating of him in recent years, and then think about his barbed responses. Think about his downright disrespectful responses to criticism from the fans every single time they questioned him. As I said previously, the man has a god complex and does not like to be question/crucified over his performance and decision making - anybody with that mentality thinks that they are always right and thinks they should be worshipped 24/7, and I don't believe that he would stick around to be constantly questioned by mere mortals who haven't worked 30 years in football like he has. This thought process seems to be consistant with the media viewpoint cos they too are saying that his decision to stay or leave will be influenced by the reaction of the fans in the coming months and that is why I believe that fan protests, booing and banners will be very important to what happens in the short term - will it be enough to force him out ? I don't know tbh, but I would still rather encourage those Gooners who know that he has to be forced out and are willing to try their best to make it happen, than telling them that they are wasting their time cos doing nothing has zero hope of getting a positive outcome imo
Firstly, didn't say you did! :lol: :wink:

Secondly, whilst I absolutely agree Wenger does not like to be questioned or criticised and does indeed react badly to same, I however do not agree that this will lead to him leaving. I think he will take the opposite approach and dig his heels in BECAUSE he views our opinions (and anyone that questions him) with such disdain. He has a neck like a jockey's bollocks and a seriously thick skin. His maniacal ego will dictate that he not "give in" to lesser mortals than he. :|

I'm certainly not trying to discourage anyone from protesting (and this is not aimed at you augie) but this is an open forum where we come to debate and I won't tolerate people saying that the protest should not be debated just because not everyone agrees with a couple of people that it will work and that have hoisted their flag to that particular sail. That's tough shit.

The problem with the protest as well is that some real idiots have very publicly associated themselves with it. We had one lad that got a lot of public and social media attention from it and he turned into a bit of a social media whore getting Wenger's face tattooed on him as part of an online attention seeking bet http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... osing-var/

This type of stupid attention-seeking nonsense devalues and discredits the entire protest. :oops: :roll:

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Bob Bayliss wrote:Point taken about different views and I apologise for suggesting those who claimed they wanted a change of manager but didn't think protests would achieve anything were in any sense 'double-agents'. It is frustrating when you are disenfranchised and care deeply about the Club, and I personally could only offer words of encouragement to those who are at least prepared to give it a real go, whether deep down I thought it would make much difference or not. Think Trump- he ain't going anywhere for at least four years, but there are plenty in America out there with banners and saying 'not in our name'. I don't feel strongly about him either way tbh, but I respect their passion for their cause. Use whatever voice you have or encourage those prepared to do so.

The fact that there are so few in the media prepared to say anything other than in defence of Wenger being allowed to continue as long as he chooses makes it even more important that those who disagree - most of the real fans, not the JCLs and tourists - redress the balance as loudly and passionately as possible.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

northbank123 wrote:Anybody see Keown's idiocy on MOTD? Wenger's time is coming to an end, but the club isn't ready for him to leave so he should have a new one or two year deal so that the board have the chance to find somebody else in his mouldy and he can be involved in that process.

Complete and utter garbage.

We don't just need Wexit, we need a hard Wexit.

I am beginning to hate KEOWN ever more than Wenger!

i really can't stand him. i mean what sort of thinking is that!