THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Babu

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Babu »

StuartL wrote: So he is saying he had an agreement with Suarez, but Liverpool refused to sell.
If he went behind Liverpool's back to agree terms with Suarez without their permission, ( unlikely they would give it ) he has broken rules and made an illegal approach, which he went apeshit about other clubs doing.

Some might call him a hypocritical, two faced bastard.
Some might.

Wenger complained about Chelsea tapping up Mr. A Cole...

In 2008 it was Adebayor...
There is a game going on in Europe where the big clubs tap up our players.
They let us do the work and develop the players and then they think they can just come in and offer him big wages, but after they cannot come up with the transfer request. It should be the other way round.'
We were destabilised by some clubs who did not respect the fair play rule in tapping up players.
I think we suffered from that at the end of the season. We haven't done that, but that has been done to us.
http://www.goal.com/en/news/8/main/2008 ... tapping-up

Then there was Hleb going for an ice-cream in Milan...
Wenger even threatened to take them to FIFA...
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... rnazionale

Then Wenger complained about Fabregas and Nasri being tapped up. Asked if any clubs had tapped up his players, he said:
Mr. Wenger wrote: I would like to return the question to you. What do you think?
We live in a realistic world. I do not want to assess what I cannot prove, but I know how things happen.
It doesn't necessarily go through the player or the agent, but I think it is a rule that has to be reviewed. It's not really respected.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 21483.html

BUT the best bit was in Feb. 2016, when Wenger said that Arsenal's previous title collapses were down to players being 'tapped up'.
Mr. Wenger wrote: The mood of some players was more to get the next contract somewhere else than to win the championship because at the time we had to sell our players.
When we went into April some of the players were tapped up to go somewhere else and it was difficult to maintain the focus. That’s not the case at the moment.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... wn-7457573

The man is a fraud.

Oh yeah, and a hypocritical, two faced bastard.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

We all know he is going to stay. Next season could even be worse because of the players he has already purchased. So we need a much better defence and still need a DM.
Gabriel who is so bad it hurts won't be sold. Mustafi who is poor won't be sold. Xhaka who can't tackle won't be sold. I could continue the list but you get my point. Sanchez and Ozil will be sold and to replace them will not be easy because you can bet big bucks City, Chelsea and United will also bid for Monicos starlets plus all the others out there.
He is only staying because of the easy lifestyle being Arsenal boss. He makes Kroenke money. We are goosed.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

supergeorgegraham wrote:We all know he is going to stay. Next season could even be worse because of the players he has already purchased. So we need a much better defence and still need a DM.
Gabriel who is so bad it hurts won't be sold. Mustafi who is poor won't be sold. Xhaka who can't tackle won't be sold. I could continue the list but you get my point. Sanchez and Ozil will be sold and to replace them will not be easy because you can bet big bucks City, Chelsea and United will also bid for Monicos starlets plus all the others out there.
He is only staying because of the easy lifestyle being Arsenal boss. He makes Kroenke money. We are goosed.
you just going to accept that then ?

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Rob I want him gone as much as anyone but he is not going to leave. If you want my honest opinion he is damaging the club so badly I think it will takes years to recover. I will protest like the rest of you but we have a dictator in charge. No one is thinking of the fans.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

supergeorgegraham wrote:Rob I want him gone as much as anyone but he is not going to leave. If you want my honest opinion he is damaging the club so badly I think it will takes years to recover. I will protest like the rest of you but we have a dictator in charge. No one is thinking of the fans.
fair enough, we agree on this really (sadly..)

I just think there is a chance that the protests might get too much for Wenger though - deep down he must know he won't be able to improve anything at the club.
I don't believe he has signed any contract, and the combination of a semi final defeat to City followed up by defeats to Spurs and a Mourinho led United in consecutive weeks would leave him in a very awkward situation, and facing even more ridicule than now.

Babu

Post by Babu »

supergeorgegraham wrote:Rob I want him gone as much as anyone but he is not going to leave. If you want my honest opinion he is damaging the club so badly I think it will takes years to recover. I will protest like the rest of you but we have a dictator in charge. No one is thinking of the fans.
Wenger is thinking about all of us little fans, don't worry.
When he signs again and we win the PL and CL we can all sing his name I'm sure he'll pardon us for our lack of belief at this time.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Does anyone else find it ironic that we're all accused of kneejerk reactions and flip-flopping dependant on each result, and yet...

The club will only announce the renewal once we've managed to win ONE GAME.

Surely if Wenger was the right choice (LOL) it could be announced at any point as it's not just about one result?

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Have seen a few news stories today about Henry possibly taking over, and reading what he said, he hasn't denied it (saying it's difficult to talk about).

Coupled with the fact that Kroenke's son wants him to take over - with Wenger working alongside him - it does make me wonder.

I've long been at the stage where any change will do, but I'm not sure replacing Wenger with one of the biggest AKBs about would inspire me to rush back in a hurry.

And, maybe it's a sixth sense, but I feel that Henry would be fucking awful as a manager. I'm talking 15th / 16th. Consider him our best ever player (different discussion for a different day), but nothing I've seen from him as a pundit indicates he'd do a good job.

Dodgyknee71

Post by Dodgyknee71 »

VoiceOfReason wrote:Have seen a few news stories today about Henry possibly taking over, and reading what he said, he hasn't denied it (saying it's difficult to talk about).

Coupled with the fact that Kroenke's son wants him to take over - with Wenger working alongside him - it does make me wonder.

I've long been at the stage where any change will do, but I'm not sure replacing Wenger with one of the biggest AKBs about would inspire me to rush back in a hurry.

And, maybe it's a sixth sense, but I feel that Henry would be fucking awful as a manager. I'm talking 15th / 16th. Consider him our best ever player (different discussion for a different day), but nothing I've seen from him as a pundit indicates he'd do a good job.
It's all about appeasement, it will keep many happy if it was to happen, the root of the problem though will still be there... Sorry don't want to offend anyone but the club I supported & followed since back when is finished. It sold out to follow the lure of the dollar. It will never be the same again .... Unless either the money bubble bursts or we get relegated because until then as many others have pointed out with the current board it's all about the money money money ....

Fuck em ... Personally I hope it all turns to shit for them all.

Looking back to my first ever game to now .... I preferred it when we was shit... At least I was with 25k others in a ground which held 70k (yes arsene Highbury held more in its heyday than that shithole you built with ya own bare hands :roll: ) who actually supported The Arsenal unlike the 40k of diva today who turn up just to selfie or get on some fan TV channel

:(

General

Post by General »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
If his management is as awful as his punditry then no chance.

ten20

Post by ten20 »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:For anybody hoping that Ivan Gazidis will be our Knight in shining armour:-

I've written to Ivan Gazidis this week, as one of the Protest Organisers. The letter went by email and was delivered to his personal inbox via a very trusted 3rd party. I have informed Mr Gazidis (very politely) of our position and why we feel the need to arrange these protests. The letter tells him also that the protests will continue unabated until either -

1. Arsene Wenger announces that he will leave
or
2. Stan Kroenke tells Wenger it is time to go.

I told Mr Gazidis also that the protests will stop as soon as one of those two announcements is made by the Club.

Mr Gazidis hasn't even acknowledged our letter !!
any reply? :lol:

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Some Quotes from Iwobi on Wenger, and the behaviour of the fans:

"He’s not a huge talker, but when he does talk to you he’s like a good friend. Almost like my dad talking to me"

"For a youngster, he’s a great manager to have. Some of the things I see are unfair on the man"

"Fans are allowed to have their own opinion, at the end of the day they can say whatever they want, but some of them, it's crazy!"

Players like him are beyond pathetic. Iwobi doesn't view things from the perspective that we are failing to win things, but leave poor Arsene alone. It's like a rich boys club, in which the players are happy to piss about for 90 minutes on a weekend, and if anyone complains, they get offended. Honestly, Alexis aside, its hard to name one player I like from the current squad.

EastupperA

Post by EastupperA »

Dodgyknee71 wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:Have seen a few news stories today about Henry possibly taking over, and reading what he said, he hasn't denied it (saying it's difficult to talk about).

It's all about appeasement, it will keep many happy if it was to happen, the root of the problem though will still be there... Sorry don't want to offend anyone but the club I supported & followed since back when is finished. It sold out to follow the lure of the dollar. It will never be the same again .... Unless either the money bubble bursts or we get relegated because until then as many others have pointed out with the current board it's all about the money money money ....

Fuck em ... Personally I hope it all turns to shit for them all.

Looking back to my first ever game to now .... I preferred it when we was shit... At least I was with 25k others in a ground which held 70k (yes arsene Highbury held more in its heyday than that shithole you built with ya own bare hands :roll: ) who actually supported The Arsenal unlike the 40k of diva today who turn up just to selfie or get on some fan TV channel

I agree whole hearted with the sentiment of this. Nothing made me happier than when Charlie scored twice in 87 against the scousers and we as the fans had complete empathy with the players and club. That was 30 years ago now and in Wengers eyes this wasn't even Arsenal then...to me days like that were the real Arsenal, now we are just another income generating part of a portfolio for Kroenke who to be honest isn't a magnificent businessman he just married a Wal-Mart airess. Its not Arsenal anymore it's managed by a megliomaic bordering on sociopath and owned as a business interest creating revenue. Were are all the jack walkers gone, give me usmanov any day.
:(

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

BFG4 wrote:Some Quotes from Iwobi on Wenger, and the behaviour of the fans:

"He’s not a huge talker, but when he does talk to you he’s like a good friend. Almost like my dad talking to me"

"For a youngster, he’s a great manager to have. Some of the things I see are unfair on the man"

"Fans are allowed to have their own opinion, at the end of the day they can say whatever they want, but some of them, it's crazy!"

Players like him are beyond pathetic. Iwobi doesn't view things from the perspective that we are failing to win things, but leave poor Arsene alone. It's like a rich boys club, in which the players are happy to piss about for 90 minutes on a weekend, and if anyone complains, they get offended. Honestly, Alexis aside, its hard to name one player I like from the current squad.
Indeed and it is a very unhealthy situation for the club in every respect, what we basically have is in one corner the board, manager and most of the players and in the other... the fans!, absolutely ridiculous and it cannot end well for anyone. I blame the man at the top but some people seem to think I'm wrong, I was right about Wenger in 2008, I am right about Kroenke now.

:banghead:

For my own sanity I'm walking away if Wenger stays next season, I said about 3-4 years back he is taking us 'full circle', from dominating Spurs to leaving us below them, he's undone all his good work now, credit was used up a few years back, but our penny pinching, indifferent, wig wearing insidious 'owner' is backing him all the way.

Rome must burn before the rebuilding begins...

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

While so many of the other players who we loved during the Wenger era have fawned over him or spouted nonsense about how much he (he!) is hurting, one man has stood head and shoulders above the rest simply by saying very little. Can you guess who it is?

Well, here's a clue. He is second only to David O'Leary in the number of club appearances. He is our most successful captain ever. In the 15 years since he retired he has been (unfairly in my view) criticised for rarely accepting invitations to return to the club for testimonials etc. Best to remember him as he was.

As recently as last summer he refused Wenger's offer of a job coaching Arsenal's under 18s in succession to Thierry, who had to quit because Wenger could not risk him saying anything mildly critical on Sky.

Massive respect to Tony Adams, who by consistently keeping both his distance and his counsel has cemented his reputation as Arsenal - not Arsene - through and through.
Last edited by Bob Bayliss on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.