THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Redarmy

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Redarmy »

augie wrote:
Redarmy wrote:We will all know Tomorrow night or Wednesday morning i guess.......

will it be another 730 days? :shock:

No - the senile old c.unt is done now, and next week we can start to look forward with some hope as allegri takes control 8) :barscarf:
Allegri has said he's staying at Juventus :roll:

Are you in a Wenger denial state :D :D

armchair

Post by armchair »

Quite a few posters seem to have become Wenger Out in season 2011/12. That's like a whole 7yrs after Wenger had last won the PL. My feeling is they were late to realise he was done but hey, everyone is different and some are still Wenger In even today.

Some of these posters are giving Kroenke pelters for "keeping Wenger for 13yrs"
Firstly, he didn't keep him for 13yrs. It's been 6yrs since Kroenke became majority shareholder. In that 6yrs Wenger has won three FA Cups. (Not to mention the glorious 4th place trophy)

I do find it strange that those Arsenal supporters who became Wenger Out in 2011 allowed themselves 7yrs with only one trophy (FA Cup 2005) to become Wenger Out, yet they don't afford the same to Kroenke (who isn't a supporter), and in the 6yrs since he took over he's seen Wenger win 3 trophys.

Also seems strange that Kroenke is criticised for not sacking Wenger but Usmanov would be fine to give him a new 2yr deal?

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

armchair wrote:Quite a few posters seem to have become Wenger Out in season 2011/12. That's like a whole 7yrs after Wenger had last won the PL. My feeling is they were late to realise he was done but hey, everyone is different and some are still Wenger In even today.

Some of these posters are giving Kroenke pelters for "keeping Wenger for 13yrs"
Firstly, he didn't keep him for 13yrs. It's been 6yrs since Kroenke became majority shareholder. In that 6yrs Wenger has won three FA Cups. (Not to mention the glorious 4th place trophy)

I do find it strange that those Arsenal supporters who became Wenger Out in 2011 allowed themselves 7yrs with only one trophy (FA Cup 2005) to become Wenger Out, yet they don't afford the same to Kroenke (who isn't a supporter), and in the 6yrs since he took over he's seen Wenger win 3 trophys.

Also seems strange that Kroenke is criticised for not sacking Wenger but Usmanov would be fine to give him a new 2yr deal?
Here we go again on the Kroenke love train, just because you fear your man might keep Wenger then you will have to conceed he is as much the problem as Wenger himself, although I'm sure Wenger will still take 90% of the blame even then.

I have been Wenger out since 2008 and the collapse at Birmingham, I could tell there was something fragile about the team (apart from Eduardo's leg!), took loads of abuse for it as well as until around 2012/3 most were AKB's, since then it has slowly gone the other way and I think last season finally saw it land slide towards Wenger out but we got out of jail finishing ahead of Spuds so it should have been worse.

Kroenke has been involved since 2007 I believe so 2011 is somewhat selective anyway, he might not have had a majority then but he certainly should have had an awareness of what was going wrong with the club, then again he didn't give a toss because his man Wenger saved him $$$, he's had a decade and he needs to f*ck off just like Wenger, but he won't, and for some reason people defend him?, gob smacked, then again most were AKB's for a long time so now it's SKB's?.

Usmanov would demand Wenger made us a European force that competed for the title in the same way his fellow oligarch at the Chavs has done, that has got to be better than a mute profiteer who only cares about "his shares", or is it the old but this isn't "The Arsenal way"?.

:blah:

General

Post by General »

I've said it before that the notion that Wenger has been failing for 13years, the evidence is overwhelming and Kroenke should have somehow magically fired him lacks any context, no offence to those making this argument. The term 'failure' itself needs to be put into a business and football perspective whether people like it or not. No one on here has come up with a credible argument that Wenger has been failing at the former until this season. In footballing terms, there is no question that we are underachieving but there are at least 3 teams in the league with a bigger budget than us and we finished above the biggest spenders this season.

You can accuse the board of many things but one thing they are well versed in is running a business. There are no David Dein like fans within the hierarchy who are willing to push boundaries and sometimes prioritise footballing ambition over financial reward and that is the sad reality we find ourselves in. It's been like this since 2007 when they conveniently loaded debts onto our books and conveniently cashed out on their shares when the club grew in equity. I have some faith in Gazidis but he clearly doesn't have the same clout as Dein.

Would I be surprised if the board rubber stamps a new 2year contract? No. Do I see justification from a business perspective. Yes. I would be angry and frustrated if it happens and I'm clinging on to the hope that come Tuesday/Wednesday he will no longer be our manager. In my view the only real reason the board would contemplate parting ways with him or even he himself walking away is the growing unrest amongst the fans and the toxic atmosphere that now engulfs the club every season. It can be damaging from a business perspective if it is allowed to fester and this a big dilemma for them. It is almost certainly the main reason they didn't announce the contract or give a strong indication that he was staying.

armchair

Post by armchair »

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

This board meeting should be over in 5 minutes.

Arsene, Saturday was great, a superb team performance, by far the best of the season. Well done.

Right, on to the task at hand - a review of our league and CL performances this season.

Let's start with Bayern - 10-2 - an absolute disgrace and totally unacceptable at this club.

On to the league and our record against the top 4. We picked up 5 points from a possible 12 at home against the chavs, scum, city and victims.

We picked up ZERO points from the away games against those teams. 5 points from 24 against our alleged "rivals", an absolutely horrendous return.

Our away record this season has been horrific, as outlined above we lost every game away at the top 4, add in the two teams that's finished below us - united and Everton and we have 1 point from 18.

Jesus fucking wept. SHOCKING. And we haven't even gotten to the cluster fucks at West Brom and Palace yet...dark days indeed.

Arsene the club feels you are no longer the right man to deliver the kind of results this club expects. We will not be renewing your contract.

FUCK OFF.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

rodders999 wrote:This board meeting should be over in 5 minutes.
And it will be...

Sign here Arsene, see you next season.

:censored:

General

Post by General »

Some good points on this video from Pulis. He suggests the divide amongst the fan base is one of the biggest issue and has been brewing for some time. It's something a lot of pundits conveniently ignore.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ahxjrv4xgJ4

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

For what it's worth I think that this unresolved issue is all about Wenger refusing to accept a DoF and there being a bit of a stand-off to date.

I genuinely don't know what will happen - really think it could go either way.

Wenger going is the only thing that may re-ignite the spark for me.

General

Post by General »

I reckon they can't agree on the wording of the apology to Wenger and whether it's Gazidis or Fish and Chips who reads it out.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

rodders999 wrote:This board meeting should be over in 5 minutes.

Arsene, Saturday was great, a superb team performance, by far the best of the season. Well done.

Right, on to the task at hand - a review of our league and CL performances this season.

Let's start with Bayern - 10-2 - an absolute disgrace and totally unacceptable at this club.

On to the league and our record against the top 4. We picked up 5 points from a possible 12 at home against the chavs, scum, city and victims.

We picked up ZERO points from the away games against those teams. 5 points from 24 against our alleged "rivals", an absolutely horrendous return.

Our away record this season has been horrific, as outlined above we lost every game away at the top 4, add in the two teams that's finished below us - united and Everton and we have 1 point from 18.

Jesus fucking wept. SHOCKING. And we haven't even gotten to the cluster fucks at West Brom and Palace yet...dark days indeed.

Arsene the club feels you are no longer the right man to deliver the kind of results this club expects. We will not be renewing your contract.

FUCK OFF.
Word for word this would be perfect :barscarf:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsene Wenger: Arsenal boss meets owner Stan Kroenke to decide future
By David Ornstein
BBC Sport
32 minutes ago
Arsene Wenger meets Stan Kroeneke at the FA Cup final
Arsene Wenger secured his seventh FA Cup - a record for a manager - by leading Arsenal to victory over Chelsea
Manager Arsene Wenger held a crucial meeting with Arsenal owner Stan Kroenke on Monday, at which the Frenchman's future was expected to be decided.

The outcome is unclear but the decision rests solely with Wenger and Kroenke and will be relayed to directors at a Tuesday board meeting.

Even on Monday morning it was not known if he would extend a deal that expires this summer or leave after 21 years.

Fresh terms were agreed in principle some months ago, but nothing is signed.

Wenger's preference has always been to stay, but the determining factor was how he believed the atmosphere around the club would be affected by him doing so.

The 67-year-old has faced unprecedented criticism during a season in which the Gunners finished outside the Premier League's top four for the first time during his reign.

However, they beat Chelsea on Saturday to win the FA Cup, making Wenger the most successful manager - and Arsenal the most successful team - in the competition's history.

Although Kroenke has never wavered in his desire for Wenger to remain in charge, certain board members feel the time has come for the Frenchman to leave.

However, all power lies with the American, so Wenger's main concern is external opposition and the conditions that might create for his players next season.

Wenger has admitted the uncertainty over his position did not help performances on the pitch or the surrounding environment, and that it should have been resolved sooner.

Fans protesting against Arsene Wenger
Wenger has faced fierce protests from fans this season
Arsenal lost seven of 12 matches between 31 January and 10 April, including a 10-2 aggregate defeat by Bayern Munich in the Champions League last 16.

They responded by winning nine of their last 10 games - among them the FA Cup final against Premier League champions Chelsea - but a fifth-place finish in the league ended their run of 19 consecutive years in the Champions League and instead they will contest the Europa League next season.

Although Wenger also met Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis on Monday, the time he spent with Kroenke would have been decisive.

The businessman has privately reiterated his support for Wenger and his commitment to providing him with the resources he needs to win the Premier League title.

Wenger is acutely aware of the disruption his departure at such a late stage could cause, which is one of the reasons why it is most likely he will extend his reign. However, it is not definitive.

Arsenal are planning to make an announcement and release an interview with Wenger on Wednesday, when further internal changes are expected to be outlined.

Those changes will not be drastic nor impinge on Wenger's control over the technical side of the club.

There is no prospect of a director of football being appointed, though a lower-profile role to enhance Arsenal's work in areas such as scouting and contracts is under consideration.

Transfer and contract negotiator Dick Law, whose own deal expires in September, will keep his job for the time being.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

"Kroenke reiterated his commitment to providing Wenger with the resources to win the Premier League".

Anybody who places any weight on any of this article in the light of this statement is a fool.

General

Post by General »

A lot of nonsense in that article but once again the issue of unrest amongst fans and how this could destabilise the team is mentioned. Wenger will do well to walk away.

wibble

Post by wibble »

Redarmy wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Of course this is just speculation and they only quote "sources" :roll: as saying it.... but I've believed this for months now. The deal was done long ago. He was never leaving. That is what I honestly believe.

http://www.espnfc.com/arsenal/story/313 ... ed-sources

:|

And with what Adams is saying about the Board being fucking spineless.... but hey guys they are not a problem at all huh? :lol: :roll:

Ask yourself this; would the owners of Citeh, the chavs, Manure, the mousers, (even fucking tottinghams ffs :oops: ) retain a manager for 13 years after his last PL title? Would they fuck. :roll:
Wenger himself stated months ago he had been in contact with Kronke and has 100% backing, yes never in doubt

Wenger himself is the only one who can stop the 52 year extension

Strange posters on here still think he will go, would love to know more about this reasoning, would make me feel happier to think there was hope :D
yeah im surprised so many think he will leave, im convinced he is staying. Think theres going to be a lot of disapoointed posters on here later this week (and hostgator!)

Good artcle with Adams as well, nothing revolutionary but he tells it as he sees it