THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mikeyb772001
Location: Block 6! Drunk and standing next to a mad man with no clothes on!

Re: Arsene Wenger - For him or against him?

Post by mikeyb772001 »

Steve_I wrote:
mikeyb772001 wrote:Steve i - "I do not need to justify my view point and any arguments"

Why cant you justify your argument?

Its becuase you cant.
that quote selective and misleading. I do not need to justify my 'view' is what it says in it's original context and goes on to say 'any arguments or points I make'

It's certainly not because I can't just that I believe the selectivity used against my side of the debate is an unbreakable wall that I have no hope of getting through.
point is mate. All im asking for is 5-10 bullet points on why wenger should stay and why he is the best man for the job.

just simple reasons. Not based on the past, or based on how much money citeh and united have. This argument is flawed as we now struggle to keep up with everton and the scum.

If the debate is unbreakable why do you want wenger to stay. As i said im not digging you out. I just dont get it or understand why anyone would want wenger to stay or that he is the best man for this job?

Steve_I

Post by Steve_I »

mikeyb772001 wrote:
Steve_I wrote:
mikeyb772001 wrote:Steve i - "I do not need to justify my view point and any arguments"

Its becuase you cant.
that quote selective and misleading. I do not need to justify my 'view' is what it says in it's original context and goes on to say 'any arguments or points I make'

It's certainly not because I can't just that I believe the selectivity used against my side of the debate is an unbreakable wall that I have no hope of getting through.
point is mate. All im asking for is 5-10 bullet points on why wenger should stay and why he is the best man for the job.

just simple reasons. Not based on the past, or based on how much money citeh and united have. This argument ios flawed as we not struggle to keep up with everton and the scum.
Had this similar chat with Armchair and got nowhere really mate. I don't see it as bad as others [our current position] is all and clearly have a more optimistic lilt to my cogitations on the current situation than many hereabout.

Steve_I

Post by Steve_I »

Clash wrote: When I pay out for my season ticket I am paying to see the team compete NOW ... not in a decades time! I want the club to spend what it can now and not fob us off by selling us the future like the bunch of frauds they all are.

Perhaps that is the crux. (heck is that more Latin?) As I mentioned I'm ok with the wait as I think to win NOW means to spend NOW and short term gain would be to long term detriment. I may well spound like some twat who you might view as akin to our current board but I truly feel that things are not so bad as many paint them and could certainly be a heck of a lot worse.

mikeyb772001

Post by mikeyb772001 »

Steve_I wrote:
mikeyb772001 wrote:
Steve_I wrote:

Its becuase you cant.

just simple reasons. Not based on the past, or based on how much money citeh and united have. This argument ios flawed as we not struggle to keep up with everton and the scum.
Had this similar chat with Armchair and got nowhere really mate. I don't see it as bad as others [our current position] is all and clearly have a more optimistic lilt to my cogitations on the current situation than many hereabout.

That’s all well and good , but still you can’t give reasons why he should stay…

For example Fergie –

Tactically great. He can set his team up to play game by game and even with injury’s the team always sticks the plan a, or plab if need be.

He delegates and changes things up like coaches and back room staff

He won’t settle for average performances, he will drop and sell off dead wood and replace

He gets the whole squad to give 100% even the players that don’t play much.

He rarely gets out smarted by lesser teams

The mental games he plays are spot on, he manipulates the press, refs and is a master of this

All of this costs nothing. It’s a telling of a good manager.

Moyes, AVB – Both with hardly any resources. No huge stadium revenue, no big reputation, no CL football the last 15 years. Much lower wage budgets 40-60% lower than ours. Much lower transfer kitty than ours. Yet both teams have better player retention and both are now on our level. So what manager is doing a better job based on resources out the top 10 prem teams. Baring City,chavs,Manure. It’s not wenger!!!

Wenger is slipping further and further. A New manager in wengers shoes might not bring us glory , winning the title or the CL. But I guarantee on every worldly object I own , they would cement 3rd or 4th by a country mile and compete better for all cups. We would have more ambition and the fans would be united again

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

won't/can't pretty ,uch the same thingin this context.

dont even try mikey your just wastin your time; there's none so blind as those who will not see

mikeyb772001

Post by mikeyb772001 »

the playing mantis wrote:won't/can't pretty ,uch the same thingin this context.

dont even try mikey your just wastin your time; there's none so blind as those who will not see

i know mate. the fact he cant give me 5 reasons why he should stay says it all. Its madness.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Steve_I wrote:
Clash wrote: When I pay out for my season ticket I am paying to see the team compete NOW ... not in a decades time! I want the club to spend what it can now and not fob us off by selling us the future like the bunch of frauds they all are.

Perhaps that is the crux. (heck is that more Latin?) As I mentioned I'm ok with the wait as I think to win NOW means to spend NOW and short term gain would be to long term detriment. I may well spound like some twat who you might view as akin to our current board but I truly feel that things are not so bad as many paint them and could certainly be a heck of a lot worse.
Fair point on the face of it. But the alternative to NOW must be about 2-5 years max: for a club of our stature and resources to spend money on certain players and hope they'll reap the rewards in any longer than that period is completely unacceptable. Fact is we've maintained this transfer policy since about 2006 and 7 years down the line we're far worse off then we were back then. Aside from the fact we've waited long enough for our policy to come good, what could possibly convince you that continuing down the same road will reap benefits in the future?

Clash

Post by Clash »

Steve_I wrote:

Fair enough mate if you are willing to wait but I honestly cant see how spending now is to the long term detriment. Why would that be the case?

Assuming we only spend money we have available I cannot see how this is detrimental. Quite the opposite in fact, if it meant keeping top players and attracting other top players ... which eventually should lead to success.

What I think is detrimental to the long term is a decade without a trophy, a growing reputation as a selling club that isnt interested in competitng and a losing mentality infested in the psyche of the entire footballing part of the club.

Steve_I

Post by Steve_I »

the playing mantis wrote:won't/can't pretty ,uch the same thingin this context.

ah I see what you did there!

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Herd wrote:I dont like the term per se ,especially from Americans who never studied latin and frequently use it incorrectly .

I used to be classed as an AKB ,my argument was that Wenger had done very well on a shoestring budget imposed by the board and that he operated under incredible duress that was not of his making but that of a parsimonious board.

In light of his own statements in the last few months it would appear that he has been more than complicit in this activity and has deliberately run down the talent pool whilst stockpiling cash for no apparent reason.

Worse and again by his own admission he is responsible for overpaying the massive stockpile of deadwood in the club leading to complacent sluggishness which has seeped into the very marrow of the club and it's players,a massive wage bill and a block on buying and selling players on the market due to our players inflated salaries.

Lastly his lack of tactical nous has led to failure against too many shit sides we face and utter humiliation at the hands of others ,but he steadfastly refuses to adapt to modern football.

My position has changed because of the words of the prof himself admitting and in some cases boasting that these catastrophic blunders are his !

Getting rid of him may not solve the problem as there is a paucity of managing talent in the world let alone the UK ...............but it might be a good start !

u also used to hate this forum and rip the p out of those on it, now you have 2000+ posts!!!! glad you stayed. knew u would turn!

mikeyb772001

Post by mikeyb772001 »

I love how it “could be worse”

I first started moaning about wenger in 2007 when I saw signs of us declining and questioned what he was doing. Back then we was competing for titles still!

Then super money made its ugly head yet we still competed to a degree. Where city and chavs had to spend 200mil we only needed to spend 20mil and we could of gone on to win various cups or titles.

Last 2 seasons we have lost ground to the Scum/Everton’s of the league and even get out played by the Swansea’s. We at least used to lose games after outplaying teams. 2006-2010

Now we get out played and lose!

We have lots of money, we have a huge stadium, we have great resources yet we have slipped so bad even 4th spot is a struggle. Yet this is the board/citeh money’s fault!!!!!

I would honestly say that Everton, the cum scum and any other team baring united/chavs/citeh shouldn’t be able to compete with us for the CL spot. Not in a million years!

Yet now this is our level. And the akbs claim we should give it time and it could be worse, and that he should stay…..

In 3 years will we have this discussion again and be talking about the teams around us competing for Europa league?

Wake the fuck up!!!!!

Clash

Post by Clash »

Great post mikeyb - agree with every word!

herbert

Post by herbert »

augie wrote:
QuartzGooner wrote:But there are other managers out there Herd, though whether any would come is another matter.
But I think the job is well paid, with a good stadium and training ground, and is based as near to central London as any club in the country, so it has a lot going for it.

These names would all be in the mix as a replacement:

Carlo Ancelotti not sure about him tbh
Michael Laudrup worth a shot
Juergen Klinsman no personal grievance with him but doubt he would be accepted by the majority
Remi Garde nowhere near enough experience
Steve Bould no management experience at all
David Moyes worth a punt and he deserves a go at a big club
Juergen Klopp absolutely yes please - number 1 choice for me
Marco Van Basten would be one of my choices for sure
Dragan Stojkovic wengers preferred choice ? no fcuking way
Massimiliano Allegri not sure - personally I dont feel that italian managers travel well
Antonio Conte same as allegri but with less experience
Huub Stevens
outside shot maybe

That list is just another reason why he should stay,plenty of worth a shot,maybe?
No thanks I would rather stick with what we have for now

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Has he gone yet?

:rubchin: :roll:

defleppardisking

Post by defleppardisking »

Regarding him staying or leaving, i only have 5 words for him: WHO CARES AND FUCK OFF!!!!!!!!