THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
ThomasMitchell

Re: Arsene Wenger - For him or against him?

Post by ThomasMitchell »

Top Londoner wrote:Tom Watt on talkshite now,

"we are just at the point now (after 10-12 years) to have made money to go and spend on top class players.
We don't need Usmanov.
I trust Wenger to put it right.

WENGER HAS PROVED HE CAN FIND A FALCAO BEFORE HE COSTS £20 MILLION

Our past four signings have been very strong, and if he buys as strongly on another four this summer, then it won't take much to make the situation completely different"

comedy gold.

:oops:
There speaks a man in the pay of Arsenal Football Club. The same man who said Fabregas would never leave Wenger, Van Persie would never leave Wenger, we were sooooo close to winning a trophy (5 years ago).

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

"we are just at the point now (after 10-12 years) to have made money to go and spend on top class players.
We don't need Usmanov.

Our past four signings have been very strong, and if he buys as strongly on another four this summer, then it won't take much to make the situation completely different"

comedy gold.

Maybe the club are going round brain washing people and they just haven't gotten round to us yet. Sorry must dash there's a knock at the door...............................

AGHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..............CRASHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ERRRRRR.....GAHHHH...
GURGLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...........................OHHHHHHH

.............Weird don't know why I stopped mid sentence there, anyway where was I? Oh yeah, 1 Arsene Wenger......There's Only 1 Arsene Wenger....I have this uncontrollable urge to buy a hot dog and an apartment off Stan Kroenke........... :barscarf:

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

ThomasMitchell wrote:

We don't need Usmanov.

comedy gold.

There speaks a man in the pay of Arsenal Football Club. The same man who said Fabregas would never leave Wenger, Van Persie would never leave Wenger, we were sooooo close to winning a trophy (5 years ago).

Come to think of it, when asked if he was going to Munich he said,
"the flights and hotel were paid for quite some time ago." :rubchin:

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

rodders999 wrote:

We don't need Usmanov.

comedy gold.

Maybe the club are going round brain washing people and they just haven't gotten round to us yet. Sorry must dash there's a knock at the door...............................

AGHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..............CRASHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ERRRRRR.....GAHHHH...
GURGLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...........................OHHHHHHH

.............Weird don't know why I stopped mid sentence there, anyway where was I? Oh yeah, 1 Arsene Wenger......There's Only 1 Arsene Wenger....I have this uncontrollable urge to buy a hot dog and an apartment off Stan Kroenke........... :barscarf:

Sounds like you had a munch on DB10's hot dog there rodders. :wink: :lol:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

More of a cocktail sausage that little pecker of his :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Ah, look at the gays flirting with each other! :-P :wink:

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

DB10GOONER wrote:Ah, look at the gays flirting with each other! :-P :wink:

Sorry mate, but jealousy will get you nowhere. Anyway, shouldn't you be with flash down at DFS looking for a comfy two seater? :lol: :wink:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

We don't need Usmanov.

comedy gold.

Was listening..... Brilliant :coffeespit:

kite

Post by kite »

Probably the club should try to get some scouts from Porto because it seems they find those Falcaos for less than 20m every year or so :rubchin:

Titi Gooner for life

Post by Titi Gooner for life »

flash gunner wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:Arsenal's wage bill - £3 million more than Bayern's

Yes, the constraints that Wenger has to work under. He just constantly, ermm, spins :lol: through his teeth. The same as the rest of the top management at the business.

^Titi what do you make of this? Funny how people skip the posts they dont like
Sorry just getting through these replies now.

Who said Arsenal have a bigger bill than Bayern?? I would question that statement as I dont think they do. I saw last night a stat where they're wage bills were similar. I do agree that Arsenal have paid Arshavin, Denilson, Bendtner, Ramsey, Chamakh, Almunia etc etc too much in wages - but again - that is not Arsene Wenger's fault. And if he SOLELY decided what to pay those players - I blame the person in charge who gave him that responsibility.

In fairness, at the time of buying - I could see why we gave Arshavin the top wages - dont think anybody can disagree with that.

AND i can see sense in the policy of paying those younger players good wages in an attempt to show them they are valued in the expectation that they would hang around. Obviously those mentioned have not cut it/repaid the faith AW had in them/have not fulfilled their potential.

A dallying Gus Caesar

Post by A dallying Gus Caesar »

Unless the people running our club come to a nasty end, one can dream, I do not see how things can change.
Pity Lee Harvey Oswald not around to take out Kroneke. Such a selfish man is SK. He will become richer and richer and the 99.99% of those affected by his ownership of our club will be poorer, both in the pockets and in terms of their enjoyment of life.

I wish we had Abramovich. Sacking managers for fun whilst struggling for room to place all the silverware Chelsea generally win on an annual basis.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Titi Gooner for life wrote: I do agree that Arsenal have paid Arshavin, Denilson, Bendtner, Ramsey, Chamakh, Almunia etc etc too much in wages - but again - that is not Arsene Wenger's fault. And if he SOLELY decided what to pay those players - I blame the person in charge who gave him that responsibility.
:coffeespit:

If only we could have sigs on here again, that beauty would be mine

WUM ALERT.

Titi Gooner for life

Post by Titi Gooner for life »

augie wrote:
Titi Gooner for life wrote:
augie wrote:Titi please don't throw up that lame "be careful what you wish for" line cos it is indicative of the loser mentality that runs right through our club :roll: :oops: Are you honestly saying that we should just accept this level of mediocrity and not strive to improve ? Is that the attitude that has has made our club one of the flag bearers of English football for the best part of 80 years ? Maybe you still believe that wenger is the man to correct our shortcomings even though he has had years to improve things and yet we continue to regress :roll: :cry: :cry: I want our club to at least try and progress and changing manager is imperative for that to happen. Does that mean that the next manager is certain to make us winners.....no I am not saying that it is by personally I want us to try and improve rather than accept being losers feeding off scraps from other clubs and with ambitions no higher than finishing 4th :evil: :evil:

I hear a lot of comments from fans saying that they hope that wenger is allowed to walk away with his head high and not be hounded out.....I would suggest that the way it ends is down to wenger and wenger alone. He presided over the 8-2 mauling at old shatford last season (the worst result in our history) and he didn't walk. He presided countless defeats to the Bradford's, blackburns, norwich's, swansea's and wigan's of this world and yet he still remains. If he decides to finally put the club first and step down as manager then he might be allowed walk away with some dignity but if he allows his pride to interfere with what is best for all club then he deserves all the abuse that will comes his way imo :evil: :evil:
No of course we should look to improve. Obviously. I do not have a loser mentality whtsoever. And yes it might be necessary to do that without Arsene. Im not Arsene's biggest fan. I have huge respect for him but not a SHEEP like someone suggested. I am just saying that (1) he is not all to blame and (2) he deserves more respect for what he has achieved at the club that being called senile, pschyopath etc.

So are you telling me that David Moyes or his type will come in and get us challenging again?? Not going to happen.

Arsene Wenger in my opinion has done more than a GOOD job in securing CL qualification over the past number of years - other managers wouldnt have done it with the players he's had to work with. Until that time comes when we don't qualify, then I can't question the man. And thats not accepting the spin of 4th place is a trophy etc or loser attitude. Its accepting that the board are willing to sell RvP to United, that City and Chelsea have huge amount of money plowed into their clubs and that Man Utd are effectively a GLOBAL brand that we cant compete with and can therefore carry huge amounts of debt that we couldnt afford to.

We're trying to HOUND one of the greatest managers the club has had in its history out of the club? Not right in my opinion. Yes you might feel he's time is up, its 50:50 now by all accounts and thats fair enough - but show some respect and class in your opinion.

Point number 1 : I never said that the next manager would be a success and mate a point stressing that but what I did say is that we should try to improve and that will not happen under wenger

Point number 2 : Other managers wouldn't have achieved top 4 with these players......who exactly bought these players then ? When you buy shite like gervinho, Giroud, santos etc then you cannot use it as an excuse for your failures. The chavs bought demba ba for approx half of what we paid for Giroud.....if you needed goals who would you put your money on to get them goals ? Who was it that not alone bought these players, stuck by them despite all the evidence showing that they were not good enough, and then, to totally compound the errors, he turned around and gave them bumper extended contracts ?
The man was a legend in the first half of his reign and has been a disgrace in the 2nd half of his reign and I know that he would not have lasted 4 years if he started his reign in the same way that he has performed in the last 4 years.

Btw respect works two ways.....he doesn't show respect to those paying his 7.5m wages so in turn he cannot expect respect in return[/quote]

Well to be honest, I think that Giroud is a decent player and is definitely worth a place in our squad - offers different option and has some good qualities. Ba hasnt exactly hit the ground running at Chelsea. Santos - Wenger has got rid of him after he was exposed - likewise I think he will get rid of Gervinho - wasnt on the bench last night. All the others - Chamakh, Denilson - he is actively trying to get rid of but is finding it hard to shift them because of the wages they earn. And I've already explained my opinion and view on paying those lads the wages they are getting. I dont think that Wenger has given too many flops EXTENDED bumper contracts - Ramsey possibly but I think Aaron might improve enough to be decent squad player yet.

How has Arsene not shown the fans respect (other than not telling the complete truth in public about the running of the club) - which he never has discussed publicly.

All im saying is I dont want this club to HOUND out one of its greatest ever managers. He's time MAY be up - he MAY have brought us as far as he can but dont go down the route of abusing him.

E.g. Lot of L'pool fans wanted rid of Daglish before he left - I didnt see them abusing him even though they knew he wasnt good enough to take them forward.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

quote.
"I do agree that Arsenal have paid Arshavin, Denilson, Bendtner, Ramsey, Chamakh, Almunia etc etc too much in wages - but again - that is not Arsene Wenger's fault. And if he SOLELY decided what to pay those players - I blame the person in charge who gave him that responsibility."

Dat you Red?

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Titi Gooner for life wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:Arsenal's wage bill - £3 million more than Bayern's

Yes, the constraints that Wenger has to work under. He just constantly, ermm, spins :lol: through his teeth. The same as the rest of the top management at the business.

^Titi what do you make of this? Funny how people skip the posts they dont like
Sorry just getting through these replies now.

Who said Arsenal have a bigger bill than Bayern?? I would question that statement as I dont think they do. I saw last night a stat where they're wage bills were similar. I do agree that Arsenal have paid Arshavin, Denilson, Bendtner, Ramsey, Chamakh, Almunia etc etc too much in wages - but again - that is not Arsene Wenger's fault. And if he SOLELY decided what to pay those players - I blame the person in charge who gave him that responsibility.

In fairness, at the time of buying - I could see why we gave Arshavin the top wages - dont think anybody can disagree with that.

AND i can see sense in the policy of paying those younger players good wages in an attempt to show them they are valued in the expectation that they would hang around. Obviously those mentioned have not cut it/repaid the faith AW had in them/have not fulfilled their potential.
The wage bill figure is correct and accurate.

Wenger is not responsible for the wages - but is given too much responsibility? Wenger is responsible for the level at which we are going to pay players, it is clear. Listen to Alex Fynn who has a close relationship with Wenger and Dein.

Arshavin was a recognised talent and proven player - but we're talking about something else. Unproven players. And other shit ones (Squillaci, Santos, Almunia, etc...) who aren't worth it. Wenger's responsilibility.