THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
skipper

Re: Arsene Wenger - For him or against him?

Post by skipper »

QuartzGooner wrote:Excellent letter by @henrywinter in today's Telegraph; takes Kronke to task on Wenger.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -loss.html
Yes, very blunt and to the point IF Stan is the answer to our problems. But he isn't. I think Stan and Arsene are very much alike in the sense that both will stick with their ways. Stan is the businessman and will not 'rock the boat' as long as Wenger produces profit.

The letter should have read something like this: Dear Stan, you are bussinessman with no love of football. Do a decent thing, sell you shares and get out with profit.

A dallying Gus Caesar

Post by A dallying Gus Caesar »

markyp wrote:
Titi Gooner for life wrote:
begeegs wrote:Welcome to the forum, Titi. Unfortunately, we are like vampires here looking for fresh blood and you are the fresh blood ;-)

Essentially, if you take away the financial portion of the game, which others have highlighted and seem a point of contention with people who still support Wenger, you are down to what we see on the field. What we see (effort aside) is a lot of headless chicken defending and the now predictable tactics of pass through the middle.

If you look at Bayern last night, they were organized, ran for each other and had a plan to stop us. We didn't even make it out of our half for most of the first half. Now that is Bayern, other teams may not believe in their quality as much and prefer to park the bus. We can't break them down - how many years have we seen that?

We can't defend set pieces, our attacking set pieces are a joke (yes, we got a gift last night), we are awful without the ball, and when things aren't working out, we wait until 70 minutes almost every game to change it. Half the games, we don't even bother to turn up until after the first half. We lead the league in individual defensive errors. If you take away our routs this year (Southampton, West Ham, etc) you will notice that we are actually struggling to score goals.

Any other manager would have been chucked out on his ear now, but because Wenger was great almost 10 years ago, he remains in a job because people have belief about the financial aspects that he may be operating under rather than what is on the pitch. This also flies in the face of the official Arsenal accounts, what Gazidis has said and also includes quotes from Wenger, himself.
Comparing Bayern with where Arsenal are is not appropriate. The amount of money they have spent on players compared to us is worlds apart.

Bayern are streets ahead in terms of experience in the CL.

We have to accept that we have fallen off from the top - mailnly in my opinion to the money that City, Chelsea and United have been able to spend. We cant compete with that level of money (along with mistakes we've made in the meantime).
another AKB trying to make a valid case for wenker,hilarious!!!the 'we cant compete with city,chavski financially' is the biggest load of bull that wenger has fed us,we have 175m in the bank,man utd are something like £200m in debt,the january transfer window was proof that us not competing is wengers choice.also saying you shouldnt compare us to bayern is bull,we are Arsenal,we are massive,as massive as bayern, the fact that bayern have won the CL/Euro cup in the past means nothing about what went on last night.we live in the now and right now we are shite,bayern are a force,our teams in the 1930's were a force does that give us a divine right to win league titles year after year?no.you have to earn the right,we dont have the ability under wenger to earn the right to compete,money isnt a issue,losing to bradford and blackburn isnt about not being able to compete with city etc its about the current crop under wengers rule being shite .this shite is lord wenkers doing,his finest team he says,the blokes a nutter,a dictator,the day he walks willl be a great day,especailly as all the brain washed disciples like yourself will finally realise that once we start winning again and competing under a differant manager that he was a fraud,who promised everything but delivered nothing but lies.by the way welcome to the forum :D
In total agreement marky. Sadly, despite their protestations the AKB's do not love our club enough to open their mind and see how bad things really are.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Steve_I wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
augie wrote: he feel's that our fans are too quiet and accept this sh1t too easily when we should be more vociferous in our protests.....I make him right on that point too :cry:
That is the most baffling thing to me about this whole sorry mess -

How so many, can be so content, with such mediocrity.

My Arsenal supporting friends think I am completely and utterly off my rocker for wanting rid of Wenger, they honestly think I'm derranged. They don't seem upset or angry about what's going on with the club, they're genuinely happy with their lot. Wenger can do no worng are they are 100% convinced he will turn things around.

Blows my tiny little mind :banghead:
While fearing more abuse I'd say this - I believe things will turn around. I believe that, if i could move the clock forward 10 years, 20 years 30 years, there will be one and only one team definitely up there challenging and that will be Arsenal simply becuase of how things are being run and the foundations laid at this present time. To me it's as simple as that. Of no other team can I or anyone else say that about for certainty. Only Arsenal can be sure they will be able to be challenging. That's where I sit as someone who does not understand how people can want him gone.
We ain't the only team being run sensibly blah blah etc etc. Most of the teams in the league are run very sensibly. The difference used to be that we also had a very good football team - now we don't. What is the difference between us and Spurs? We have higher revenue streams but also far higher expenditure to match. And imagine if they get a new stadium and start getting close to what we're earning.

I don't understand your thinking that we'll definitely be challenging. How can you be so sure that we will given that we're far from it now and only sliding one way? You can't - it's the same thinking IF Abramovich pulls the plug, IF Sheikh Mansour gets bored of his plaything, IF this well-leveraged debt United have suddenly goes pear-shaped. That's not a definite at all mate.

Also - why the fuck does Wenger go to board meetings? The contract story on BBC is hardly surprising but doesn't it strike anyone else as ridiculous that he attends these things?

goonergeoff

Post by goonergeoff »

Winters letter is an excellent peice of journalism,all very valid points,surely all the noise coming from the media at the moment must cocern the board,but i wont hold my Breath. :( :banghead:

herbert

Post by herbert »

In total agreement marky. Sadly, despite their protestations the AKB's do not love our club enough to open their mind and see how bad things really are.
So if your loyal to Wenger you dont love the Arsenal ,ok fair enough your entitled to your opinion,but you could turn it around and say its the wob who dont love the club enough,why ? because despite you opening your mind to how bad things really are you have done what?
when and if the time comes that I want him gone then I hope that I will be more active than just moan and curse and label other Arsenal fans on the internet

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

herbert wrote:
So if your loyal to Wenger you dont love the Arsenal ,ok fair enough your entitled to your opinion,but you could turn it around and say its the wob who dont love the club enough,why ? because despite you opening your mind to how bad things really are you have done what?
when and if the time comes that I want him gone then I hope that I will be more active than just moan and curse and label other Arsenal fans on the internet
Have to agree with Herbert here. Many Arsenal fans still support Wenger for a variety of reasons and I don't agree with labelling them all with the "Don't love the club" tag. It's a cheap shot. I want Wenger gone (dear God, how I do) but I accept that many of my fellow Gooners don't and they are entitled to that opinion.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
herbert wrote:
Have to agree with Herbert here. Many Arsenal fans still support Wenger for a variety of reasons and I don't agree with labelling them all with the "Don't love the club" tag. It's a cheap shot. I want Wenger gone (dear God, how I do) but I accept that many of my fellow Gooners don't and they are entitled to that opinion.
Are they bollocks!!!!!!
:wink:

richie

Post by richie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
herbert wrote:

Surely every fan has love for the bloody club or else they would not feel strongly enough to argue the point.However i just can no longer understand how people who have the clubs best interests at heart can fail to see Wengers failings.This man has signed weak player after weak player and spent a large amount of our wage budget on these players.I have never heard him take any of the blame for defeats OR blame the board OR blame the players - its someones bloody fault isnt it - and as the main spokesman for the club he needs to shoulder the blame or tell us where he thinks the blame lies.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21530212

Scroll to the comments at the bottom of the page & choose to sort by highest rated. The morons are out in force. No doubt all from Malaysia, Indonesia, Nigeria, China & the like. Die hard Gooners since 2006. :banghead:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Dan_85 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21530212

Scroll to the comments at the bottom of the page & choose to sort by highest rated. The morons are out in force. No doubt all from Malaysia, Indonesia, Nigeria, China & the like. Die hard Gooners since 2006. :banghead:
That is absolutely why I stopped using BBC forums.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

Dan_85 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21530212

How about this on the BBC?
Alex Harris: "Arsenal fan glad to see Spurs through for actually attacking and not putting 10 behind the ball, actually cheered the goal."
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

p206ab

Post by p206ab »

Bloddy brilliant letter :barscarf: :bowing21: :cheers:
But will Stan even bother to read it?

Brady's left peg

Post by Brady's left peg »

p206ab wrote:Bloddy brilliant letter :barscarf: :bowing21: :cheers:
But will Stan even bother to read it?
I very much doubt it........ he doesn't give a shit about the club or the fans.

Kroenke out!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Brady's left peg wrote:
p206ab wrote: Kroenke out!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Amazing that he has got away so lightly so far, leaving Wenger to take the (deserved) flak....

Loved the letter.

I don't know anyone these days who you would class as proper 100% AKB's. Everyone knows something is wrong, but some still blame the board more than the Manager, and maybe still think you could get away with changing the former without the latter. Right or wrong, the time is ripe for another protest. Villa at home, Munich away.

augie

Post by augie »

richie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
herbert wrote:

Surely every fan has love for the bloody club or else they would not feel strongly enough to argue the point.However i just can no longer understand how people who have the clubs best interests at heart can fail to see Wengers failings.This man has signed weak player after weak player and spent a large amount of our wage budget on these players.I have never heard him take any of the blame for defeats OR blame the board OR blame the players - its someones bloody fault isnt it - and as the main spokesman for the club he needs to shoulder the blame or tell us where he thinks the blame lies.

Not sure that I 100% agree with ye there lads - many (and I include myself in that) believe that those still supporting wenger are doing so out of love for arsene fc rather than Arsenal FC. What possible reason can anybody have for believing that wenger can turn this fiasco around other than the fact that he won trophies for us 8 years ago ? Is sentimentality a valid reason ? Would wenger have enjoyed even half the amount of loyalty he currenttly enjoys if he was appointed 4 years ago ? Some might try to defend him and cite finances as a defence (despite all the evidence to the contrary) but it totally ignores a whole book of issues regarding his tactics andplayer assesment/recruitment :roll: If people feel that wenger shouldnt be abused cos of his past glories then that is fair enough but to support wenger based on nothing but sentiment and/or loyalty is absolutely putting arsene fc above your commitment to Arsenal FC and that is unacceptable imo