THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: WENGER - Views For and Against.

Post by augie »

Blood_Gooner wrote:I don't see this intelligence that Arteta's fans try so hard to attribute to him. It's a myth at best which has been allowed to thrive and develop by way of constant repetition. He certainly isn't intelligent enough to keep a cool head when the pressure is on. Furthermore, taking a second yellow so high up the pitch, when there was no real threat, doesn't bode well for a so called intelligent player.

And like I stated in earlier post, he isn't good enough to be a must start in a team with title aspirations. Wenger making him a staple in our starting eleven, especially in a role he clearly isn't suited for, and one where he's been found out as an absolute lightweight (refer to Rooney marking him out of a game completely in our 1-1 draw against the mancs at the backend of last season), just goes to show how far we've fallen.

I've seen him shy away from taking that 1st pass from our CBs on more than one occasion, pointing them to other players. And it's not as if he would have been receiving the ball under pressure. Hence, I'm of the view that he isn't that bridge between our defence and CAM. He also offers fuck all going forward as most of his passes are lateral or backwards.

Decent player, but just not good enough for a team like The Arsenal if we've really upped our expectation from 4th place glory to title contenders. He's the personification of average, so no coincidence that he spent the better part of his career pubbing it out in an Everton team and never earned a cap for Spain.

Anyway, I won't further derail what is arguably the greatest thread of all time. As such, I must categorically and unequivocally state that I'm still absolutely 100% against.

PS I hope Lord Clueless doesn't leetle beit take the piss by opting to do the momentous signing during any of the dreadful winter months, thereby ruining what would have been a most scintillating barbecue.

Is flamoney ? Many on here have had a *****-a-thon since his return which is both amusing and sad considering he has spent much of the past few years sitting on Milan's bench behind an aging team :oops: Regardless of my own personal opinions on him (mercenary c*nt), I do accept that he does bring a tigerish attitude to the team that otherwise wasn't there but that does not disguise the fact that he is not good enough to fill that position IF we are to be genuine title challengers again
Personally I would pick arteta ahead of him for most games

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

DB10GOONER wrote: Obviously it's all about opinion and everyone has theirs but I absolutely cannot agree, mate. Flamoney has been pretty good in some games since he returned. But in others he has just been a headless chicken running around leaping into pointless uneseccary tackles mostly to no real benefit to the team. A mixed bag.

For the last two years Arteta has filled that Gilberto type role quietly and effectively. I'm not saying you are doing this, but I think alot of people that criticise Arteta and hail Flamoney are blinded by the Hollywood tackles and the obvious running around. A bit like when Mong was loafing around in midfield. He was total shite yet he'd throw in a Hollywood lunging tackle every now and again and some people would hail him as a fantastic midfielder. Whereas Arteta goes about it in a more controlled intelligent way. He doesn't NEED to throw in Hollywood tackles most times because his experience, anticipation and knowledge have placed him where he needs to be, often snuffing out attacks before they really begin or threaten. With him it's all about anticipation rather than reaction which is mostly what Flamoney offers and all Mong offered - and in Mong's case often far too late.

Arteta isn't perfect but he has been one of our most solid players for two seasons now.
best post on the arteta subject so far

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

brazilianGOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote: Obviously it's all about opinion and everyone has theirs but I absolutely cannot agree, mate. Flamoney has been pretty good in some games since he returned. But in others he has just been a headless chicken running around leaping into pointless uneseccary tackles mostly to no real benefit to the team. A mixed bag.

For the last two years Arteta has filled that Gilberto type role quietly and effectively. I'm not saying you are doing this, but I think alot of people that criticise Arteta and hail Flamoney are blinded by the Hollywood tackles and the obvious running around. A bit like when Mong was loafing around in midfield. He was total shite yet he'd throw in a Hollywood lunging tackle every now and again and some people would hail him as a fantastic midfielder. Whereas Arteta goes about it in a more controlled intelligent way. He doesn't NEED to throw in Hollywood tackles most times because his experience, anticipation and knowledge have placed him where he needs to be, often snuffing out attacks before they really begin or threaten. With him it's all about anticipation rather than reaction which is mostly what Flamoney offers and all Mong offered - and in Mong's case often far too late.

Arteta isn't perfect but he has been one of our most solid players for two seasons now.
best post on the arteta subject so far
:roll: You dwarves stick together I see :lol:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

From gunnerblog on twitter -

"Arsene Wenger's previous contracts were signed in August (2010) and September (2007). Definitely dragging it out this time"

BOOOOOOM my sentiments exactly. If he was going to sign he'd have done so buy now. It's almost 2014 :barscarf:

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
no sir, i'm a dwarf, as in the warrior, strong and reliable type. he's just a regular midget :lol: :wink:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:From gunnerblog on twitter -

"Arsene Wenger's previous contracts were signed in August (2010) and September (2007). Definitely dragging it out this time"

BOOOOOOM my sentiments exactly. If he was going to sign he'd have done so buy now. It's almost 2014 :barscarf:
Keep up the self harm mate :D

There's Only One has noticed the changing 'turncoat' mood that is taking place and is waiting for another march through the streets of Islington before putting pen to paper. Anyway, its winter now and I'd much rather have a spring BBQ

ONE ARSENE WENGER......THERE'S ONLY ONE ARSENE WENGER

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:

There's Only One has noticed the changing 'turncoat' mood that is taking place and is waiting for another march through the streets of Islington before putting pen to paper. Anyway, its winter now and I'd much rather have a spring BBQ

Anyway John Cross, who I happened to see stocking up on tissues earlier, is saying he's ready to sign that deal now that the Be All And End All is secured :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Leyton Gooner wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Anyway John Cross, who I happened to see stocking up on tissues earlier, is saying he's ready to sign that deal now that the Be All And End All is secured :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
I wonder who will bolt their load first - Cross or Barclay.

ONE ARSENE WENGER.....THERE'S ONLY ONE ARSENE WENGER

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

brazilianGOONER wrote:
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
no sir, i'm a dwarf, as in the warrior, strong and reliable type. he's just a regular midget and stand in for R2D2 at Star Wars events :lol: :wink:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Looks like they'll have to put away the contract extension now until our almighty mini-revival in February leads us to another glorious VT success.

MrT

Post by MrT »

I wanted to put my foot through the tv when this wanker was flapping his arms.

Wenger out from here until the end of time.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

MrT wrote:I wanted to put my foot through the tv when this wanker was flapping his arms.

Wenger out from here until the end of time.
:high5:

When he goes it will feel like we HAVE actually won a trophy!

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

ONE ARSENE WENGER.......THERE'S ONLY ONE ARSENE WENGER

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Thank the feck for that I thought there was two of them.....now THAT would be a nightmare beyond all proportions

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Demun210 wrote:Is this forum doing the "Wenger out" thing now then?
Not at all - give him another 3 trophyless years I say. Let him oversee the longest run without a trophy in the history of the club for all I care now - the guy's reputation will be well and truly trashed by then