THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by officepest »

LaughingGooner wrote:
Ikechukwu1 wrote:I read that Southampton have a wage bill of £35million. :shock:
Arsenal's is over £170m.
Which manager is higher up in the table? And who won the aggregate head-to-head between Wenger and Koeman? :rubchin:
:roll: :oops:
Oh dear, is that the best you can come up with?!?!?!!?
Really must do better, and really be more abusive to Wenger...
Evening squire.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Funny how the AKB'S all want everyone to judge Wenger in May, but beating city means that they can judge him in January, and will even go to the bother of bringing a banner in support of him. I doubt that banner will be on show after the next Wenger fuck up.

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

LaughingGooner wrote:
Ikechukwu1 wrote:I read that Southampton have a wage bill of £35million. :shock:
Arsenal's is over £170m.
Which manager is higher up in the table? And who won the aggregate head-to-head between Wenger and Koeman? :rubchin:
:roll: :oops:
Oh dear, is that the best you can come up with?!?!?!!?
Really must do better, and really be more abusive to Wenger...
Aaaah yes so I see you had zero comeback to my factual comment. Surprise! :roll:
Hope you pull your dinkle out of Arsene's red zone in time for your nighttime warm milk :roll:

afcforever

Post by afcforever »

BFG4 wrote:
LaughingGooner wrote:Yeah, I should come on here day in, day out like many here and devise new ways in which to personally abuse Wenger in the most disgusting manner possible.
Then no doubt I'll be accepted as a true supporter.

Is hilarious that I'm being accused of knee- jerk reactions, is a feature of the majority of posts here.

I'll keep on enjoying supporting my club and many here will just bitch and moan, regardless of results.
I will spell this out to you, as many others have tried to, but you don't seem to listen. No one is basing anything on one result, we are basing it over the course of a decade in which we have won only 1 trophy, not finished in the top two since 2005, and watched our manager sell some of our best players to supposed rivals.
And I'll spell out to you, that in the mean time we built a brand new stadium and couldn't compete.
And still finished in the top four every year.
And won the FA cup last year.

officepest

Post by officepest »

afcforever wrote:
BFG4 wrote:
LaughingGooner wrote:Yeah, I should come on here day in, day out like many here and devise new ways in which to personally abuse Wenger in the most disgusting manner possible.

Is hilarious that I'm being accused of knee- jerk reactions, is a feature of the majority of posts here.

I'll keep on enjoying supporting my club and many here will just bitch and moan, regardless of results.
I will spell this out to you, as many others have tried to, but you don't seem to listen. No one is basing anything on one result, we are basing it over the course of a decade in which we have won only 1 trophy, not finished in the top two since 2005, and watched our manager sell some of our best players to supposed rivals.
And I'll spell out to you, that in the mean time we built a brand new stadium and couldn't compete.
Which has demonstrably been proven to be horseshit. :suicide:

afcforever

Post by afcforever »

officepest wrote:
afcforever wrote:
BFG4 wrote:

How as it?

officepest

Post by officepest »

afcforever wrote:
officepest wrote:Which has demonstrably been proven to be horseshit. :suicide:

How as it?
Sigh.

Our accounts are available; we have always had money, as Gazidis used to say over and over again. Wenger thought he could do it another way, for whatever reason.

Once he finally accepted his youth policy was folly, and he was in danger of being left behind, he loosened the purse strings.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I think you've missed a 'w' there!

:D

officepest

Post by officepest »

OneBardGooner wrote:I think you've missed a 'w' there!

:D
Or an 'H'.

:wink:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

throughout the stadium years we consistently made 20 million profit a season AND paid 126 million in wages over nine years to diaby, djourou, denilson, and bentdner.

the stadium was refinanced through a bond issue in 2008 at no cost to the club. from 2008 to 2013 20 million in cash was accumulated and the number of cups won was zero.

in 2013/2104 season our wage bill was bigger than Chelsea's, when we lost 6-0 to them, 6-1 to Liverpool and 4-0 to Everton.

to say we couldn't or can't compete is merde du cheval.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

afcforever wrote:
officepest wrote:
afcforever wrote:
BFG4 wrote:

How as it?
Oh dear fuck. How many times do we have to explain this horseshit to you people? :roll: :banghead:

The "financial constraints" argument was proven as horseshit years ago. We always had the money to compete. It was just mis-spent by Wenger on huge unearned, undeserved wages, pay rises and contract extensions for rubbish players that had proved themselves not good enough years before Wenger gave up on them and finally got rid. I'm not going to bother listing all those players again as there are just too many, but basically Arsene paid them way above the odds for rubbish performances and then pissed more money away by extending their contracts to try and prove some misguided point that he could build his ideal project team. Add to that the fact he took home £7million a year and you simply sound like an idiot quoting the old "we couldn't compete financially" argument. :oops: The money was fucking there, he spent it badly. 1 + 1 = fucking 2. :roll:

LaughingGooner

Post by LaughingGooner »

Okay, so after Wenger assembled arguably the best team in PL history, he decided, this is all too easy.
I'm going to do it the hard way.....even though I have tens of millions of pounds available to spend on world class players, I'm going to gamble on sticking by the likes of Bendtner, Denilson, Santos, Senderos and Vela......
I'll happily go up against the cash loaded Chelsea, City and Utd with effectively one hand tied behind my back.
Winning with world class players is far too easy......I'm even going to see my best players to my rivals to really test how I can cope with depleted resources.
I may be routinely humiliated and have Fergie and Jose look down on me.
But hey, let's enjoy the ride.

Plausible.......??

When we do move into our new stadium, and with careful housekeeping, we have paid off our debts.
It's a complete coincidence that Wenger now spends £42m on Ozil and £30+m on Sanchez.
But of course he's had this money sitting in the bank all the time........

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

We haven't paid off our debt. The repayments are almost exactly the same as the day we moved in. Financially almost nothing has changed. Just look at the accounts.

Your scenario is plausible if you see Wenger's colossal ego. He really did think he could do it with unknowns he developed.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LaughingGooner wrote:Okay, so after Wenger assembled arguably the best team in PL history, he decided, this is all too easy.
I'm going to do it the hard way.....even though I have tens of millions of pounds available to spend on world class players, I'm going to gamble on sticking by the likes of Bendtner, Denilson, Santos, Senderos and Vela......
I'll happily go up against the cash loaded Chelsea, City and Utd with effectively one hand tied behind my back.
Winning with world class players is far too easy......I'm even going to see my best players to my rivals to really test how I can cope with depleted resources.
I may be routinely humiliated and have Fergie and Jose look down on me.
But hey, let's enjoy the ride.

Plausible.......??

When we do move into our new stadium, and with careful housekeeping, we have paid off our debts.
It's a complete coincidence that Wenger now spends £42m on Ozil and £30+m on Sanchez.
But of course he's had this money sitting in the bank all the time........

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:
Are you really this much of a dullard? Really? :o :roll:

I give up. :roll: It's like throwing paint at the ocean and wondering why it doesn't stick. :roll:

Oh fuck it, here goes. Again. :roll:

Yes it is plausible, in fact it is factual. Everything in your first paragraph is basically what he has done. Because of his ego, his arrogance. Why do you think so many of us want him gone? Do you honestly think we just woke up and had a (your moronic phrase) "knee jerk reaction" to our greatest ever manager (96-06) and decided we want him gone? For no good reason? The 9 years of abject failure and wasting of money had nothing to do with it?

As for Ozil and Sanchez. Depends on which version of events you believe. One is they weren't Wenger signings, that a very worried Gazidis and co forced them on him because of the media/fan backlash. A second version is that Wenger did sign them. But what does that prove? That maybe, finally after 8 seasons or so, he finally realised that the rubbish his "project" delivered wasn't up to scratch and he finally gave in and realised he had to buy in some class? Even if that is true, it's far too little far far too late. Not to mention, he still failed to strengthen where we needed it most!

Add up the millions and millions and millions wasted on Diaby, Bendtner, Vela, Flappy, Almunia, Mong, Denilson etc etc etc for years after every pundit, player, fan and manager had seen they were all average or shit, and tell me most other managers couldn't take that money and spend it on less players but far better players. The money was there, it was spent badly.

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Laughinggooners done too much laughing and not enough thinking methinks.

Doubt he will ever "get it". Its now all down to money as was Atletico last year and Manures "massive resurgance in form this season" isnt it. Same as those financially doped Bradford guys, and as for Saints, well suppose all the riches from transfers have seen to their form this season :barscarf: .

Suppose we had to sell Cesc Cashley and RVJC to survive too :oops: