THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Offside

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Offside »

http://www.football365.com/news/big-wee ... lind-spurs
Before the victory over Bournemouth last weekend, the Frenchman said: “Leicester are a fantastic example that football is not only about just spending the money.”

Powered by the goals of £1million striker Jamie Vardy and £450,000 magician Riyad Mahrez, the Foxes are indeed a remedy to the modern-day domination of an elite which can afford to spend £32million on Nicolas Otamendi. But for Wenger to present them as the template to his ideal method of success borders on insulting to Arsenal fans. The Gunners are five points behind a club who were promoted two seasons ago, who this time last year were bottom of the Premier League and consigned to relegation. To use them as evidence that expenditure is unnecessary merely contextualises how massive a failure it would be for Arsenal not to win the league themselves.
:lol: :lol:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

what a total :censored:

this is taken from the BBC sport website
"Wenger has also defended Arsenal's ticket pricing again.
Last week, he said that extra television revenue for top-flight clubs, which starts flowing in from next season, should be used to buy players rather than cut ticket prices.
This week, he said the Gunners offered good value for money.
"It is a very complicated subject," he said when asked for his latest views on the ongoing row over ticketing.
"Our most expensive price is a fraction higher than the other clubs in London. Our most common ticket price is lower than many places in England. I don't think that we have a massive problem on that front."
He said it was "true we get more television income" than other leagues but said there was pressure to "pay for the players with a higher price".
He added: "You want the ticket prices to be as comfortable as possible for our fans. Our cheapest prices are cheaper than anywhere in London."

Go on then actually buy some fucking players!!!

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

as for his comments on offering value for money....yeah I am sure all those who paid £90 to watch us lose 0-1 to Chelsea recently got value for money :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Offside wrote:http://www.football365.com/news/big-wee ... lind-spurs
Before the victory over Bournemouth last weekend, the Frenchman said: “Leicester are a fantastic example that football is not only about just spending the money.”

Powered by the goals of £1million striker Jamie Vardy and £450,000 magician Riyad Mahrez, the Foxes are indeed a remedy to the modern-day domination of an elite which can afford to spend £32million on Nicolas Otamendi. But for Wenger to present them as the template to his ideal method of success borders on insulting to Arsenal fans. The Gunners are five points behind a club who were promoted two seasons ago, who this time last year were bottom of the Premier League and consigned to relegation. To use them as evidence that expenditure is unnecessary merely contextualises how massive a failure it would be for Arsenal not to win the league themselves.
Made a bit of a rod for his own back there.... :lol:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

DB10GOONER wrote:

Elton John would be interested in that.

Too far? :shock: :o :| :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

arseofacrow wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

:rubchin:

Nah. :D :wink:

Dodgyknee71

Post by Dodgyknee71 »

Rotten to the core - the lot of them.

My nan passed yesterday aged 92 ...loved the Arsenal, Hated what we've have become.....

My season ticket was previously hers in the east stand, Highbury 1957 - 1986, her words the other week.... Get Rid!!

R.I.P Nan

She was always singing "good old Arsenal" whilst playing it on the record player when house cleaning...

Good old Arsenal we was once proud to say that name, then they sold us out and it's never been the same !!!!

GTG

Post by GTG »

Dodgyknee71 wrote:Rotten to the core - the lot of them.

My nan passed yesterday aged 92 ...loved the Arsenal, Hated what we've have become.....

My season ticket was previously hers in the east stand, Highbury 1957 - 1986, her words the other week.... Get Rid!!

R.I.P Nan

She was always singing "good old Arsenal" whilst playing it on the record player when house cleaning...

Good old Arsenal we was once proud to say that name, then they sold us out and it's never been the same !!!!
Its when you here Old school Arsenal fans like your nan say things like that then it really sinks in. Sorry for your loss mate

GTG

Post by GTG »

What really irked me was Wenger saying about the cost of our ground compared to Bayern's. That hasn't been an issue to years now yet he still thinks that's an excuse for the prices? It may have been justifiable in the past but it aint now. The thing about transfer fees and wages is just f.ucking laughable nothing needs saying there. But the other thing that really highlights just what a bunch of greedy tossers they are is the fact we are one of the only clubs to object to the £30 away campaign. By objecting to that they are effectively saying stuff us because we're the ones paying Cat A prices every away game. If we don't agree to it for other fans then we aint gonna get it there. Scum the lot of them.

Offside

Post by Offside »

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... -leicester
Wenger does not, however, believe that the sight of empty seats would have a negative impact on his team, despite the temptation to draw that conclusion from Liverpool’s loss of a two-goal lead to Sunderland after their supporters’ 77th-minute walkout last Saturday. “I wouldn’t like to use that as an excuse,” Wenger said. “I think, once the players are on the pitch, they are focused on the job. Sometimes I didn’t even know if it rained or not during the game because you’re so much in the game that you do not focus too much on what is happening in the stands.”
Maybe it's my anti-Wenger paranoia but I get the feeling that he actually WOULD use the empty seats as an excuse for Arsenal making a slow start and "lacking sharpness".

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Offside wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... -leicester
Wenger does not, however, believe that the sight of empty seats would have a negative impact on his team, despite the temptation to draw that conclusion from Liverpool’s loss of a two-goal lead to Sunderland after their supporters’ 77th-minute walkout last Saturday. “I wouldn’t like to use that as an excuse,” Wenger said. “I think, once the players are on the pitch, they are focused on the job. Sometimes I didn’t even know if it rained or not during the game because you’re so much in the game that you do not focus too much on what is happening in the stands.”
Maybe it's my anti-Wenger paranoia but I get the feeling that he actually WOULD use the empty seats as an excuse for Arsenal making a slow start and "lacking sharpness".
Would not surprise me at all tbh. He will literally blame anything except his own failings. :|

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

Gunner Rob wrote:what a total :censored:

this is taken from the BBC sport website
"Wenger has also defended Arsenal's ticket pricing again.
Last week, he said that extra television revenue for top-flight clubs, which starts flowing in from next season, should be used to buy players rather than cut ticket prices.
This week, he said the Gunners offered good value for money.
"It is a very complicated subject," he said when asked for his latest views on the ongoing row over ticketing.
"Our most expensive price is a fraction higher than the other clubs in London. Our most common ticket price is lower than many places in England. I don't think that we have a massive problem on that front."
He said it was "true we get more television income" than other leagues but said there was pressure to "pay for the players with a higher price".
He added: "You want the ticket prices to be as comfortable as possible for our fans. Our cheapest prices are cheaper than anywhere in London."

Go on then actually buy some fucking players!!!
I just read that quote n the Beeb and thought exactly the same thing.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

DB10GOONER wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

:rubchin:

Nah. :D :wink:
Bet arseofacrow was expecting a bit of a rocket, man!! :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :wink:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

His comments about pricing are ludicrous, it shows a complete and utter disdain for the hard working 'plebs' who he thinks should feel privileged to pay the prices to be allowed in to watch his football team.

This from a man who earns £8M per year, has a free seat and is the biggest spectator at any match :shock:

In one breath he laments how much money is in football and in the next that it is value for money to come and watch his team :banghead:

I think the FSF reported earlier this week that with the new TV deal every club in the premier could charge nothing to watch matches next season and be no worse off.

However you can bet your life that his statement will hold sway with many Arsenal supporters and that any planned protest will have lost a large number of members because the Masters word is law :banghead:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

If he is so bothered with the massive wage structure in football why does he accept 8m per season for doing nothing??