THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
clockender1

Re: WENGER - Views For and Against.

Post by clockender1 »

i think we've learned this year that during the period 2005 to 2010 when Arsene PLC was allegedly 'hamstrung' by the clubs finances, that during that lack of success he did not examine or rethink any of his attitudes or opinions but just blamed it on the lack of funds.

that lack of introspection now he has splashed the cash, is biting him on the arse. he no longer has that excuse so he's making new ones but that can only last so long as its not just about last night - its the teams form and results all season - we are what 13 games in and have really only turned in one performance so far and that was against besitkas.

the guy has total control of the whole club, he cannot blame anyone else for the poor judgement he is showing - tets and flamini are not good enough for his system, and neither Ramsay of Jack wants to be a DM, he didn't buy DM's or another CB, and continually gets out thought by nearly every manager he faces at any level.

Swansea is going to be a very tough game - i think we draw at best, but i don't see him setting them up any differently. his comments after the game last night suggested that he's not rethinking his tactics, training methods, fitness coaching at all - despite losing Arteta to another hamstring last night and claiming Anderlecht finished "stronger and sharper".

i just hope that if we turn in another poor performance that the fans start to turn the screws.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

isn't it about time some co ordinated protests started to be organised?

surely at any other major club they would have already started. I was reading the comments section of the Gooner and in 1983 a large anti Terry O'Neill protest apparently forced him out. something similar needed I think.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

clockender1 wrote:i think we've learned this year that during the period 2005 to 2010 when Arsene PLC was allegedly 'hamstrung' by the clubs finances, that during that lack of success he did not examine or rethink any of his attitudes or opinions but just blamed it on the lack of funds.

that lack of introspection now he has splashed the cash, is biting him on the arse. he no longer has that excuse so he's making new ones but that can only last so long as its not just about last night - its the teams form and results all season - we are what 13 games in and have really only turned in one performance so far and that was against besitkas.

the guy has total control of the whole club, he cannot blame anyone else for the poor judgement he is showing - tets and flamini are not good enough for his system, and neither Ramsay of Jack wants to be a DM, he didn't buy DM's or another CB, and continually gets out thought by nearly every manager he faces at any level.

Swansea is going to be a very tough game - i think we draw at best, but i don't see him setting them up any differently. his comments after the game last night suggested that he's not rethinking his tactics, training methods, fitness coaching at all - despite losing Arteta to another hamstring last night and claiming Anderlecht finished "stronger and sharper".

i just hope that if we turn in another poor performance that the fans start to turn the screws.
That's just it though - Somehow - he always manages to escape by the skin of his teeth....The FA Cup final 2 down with 20 mins (or whatever it was) and had Gibbsy not headed that ball off the line - it would have been 3 and surely curtains...he has the luck of the devil! :banghead:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

he does, doesn't he....i meant against united btw - we will do badly at an organised and rested swansea, despite the fact they are having problems scoring goals.

but we should thump united - if we don't thats when we might see more rebellion. a loss would be interesting.

our upcoming games all look tricky :

Swans A
United H
Dortmund H
WBA A
Soton H
Stoke A

losses at home to dortmund (possible) and Southampton (very likely) in a short space might really get the cat calls going.

looking at the league - i think we only pick up maybe 4/5 points so i think we'll be about 7/8th and 4th gone by then.

Robin_L

Post by Robin_L »

Yep that's right, the chance of finishing even as high as 4th will be "gone" with 5 months of the season still remaining. :rubchin:

Dodgyknee71

Post by Dodgyknee71 »

Dan_85 wrote:What does Arsene Wenger actually offer to Arsenal anymore? He brings in money for the board but on the footballing side I can't think of one single positive that he brings.

I asked this to an AKB on the train home last night who was whining on about how the first goal was offside, we didn't have everyone fit etc etc. I didn't really get a reply, just some rambling about how he deserves respect for being our greatest ever manager :?
Weren't Ray parlour was it? Should of heard him on talkshite this morning...embarrassing, another former player going down in my estimations ..... Demoralising doesn't even get close

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

They all like the freebies etc....they should ask George Graham and he'll tell it straiight :box: :box: :box:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Robin_L wrote:Yep that's right, the chance of finishing even as high as 4th will be "gone" with 5 months of the season still remaining. :rubchin:
yes, yes it will if we only pick up 4/5 points from 5 games . because we won't change our tactics, formation or preparation because the retard in charge doesn't believe those are an issue. he already said he won't buy another CB in january and doesn't believe we need two new DM's.

we've largely played the weakest teams in the division and yet we are having the worst start in 16 years - why is it going to get better ?

what do you footballing genuises see that we humble long time fans don't ??????

myself, i think based on form and results, two of west ham, swansea, everton, united, liverpool and spuds will finish above us and be above us by December 3rd.

4 wins out of ten games is 7/8th form. and we're getting worse.

Block93

Post by Block93 »

Here's another scenario. We finish second in the group, and draw Barcelona in the last 16. During the transfer window, we sign one/two accomplished CL-eligible defenders, and an effective CDM, and all the players are fit again, we put out Walcott, Sanchez, Ox, Welbeck going forward, which is serious enough pace to trouble the creaking bones of Pique, Mascherano etc, we can then set up properly in midfield, and defence is solid with strength in depth, and we nick a win....all of a sudden everything looks different. Ancelotti gave away a 3-0 lead in a CL final if I recall, it happens. Last night was horrendous, an absolute nightmare, but whatever anyone thinks, I don't think there's currently anyone who would do better (Guardiola didn't do so brilliantly last season), with the possible exception of Mourinho, but Arsenal just doesn't work like that. Yes, I know I am the type of person lots of you will direct your anger against, but as I pay my £2600 or so each year for my son and me I am entitled to my view. Lots of things about Wenger over the last few years seriously piss me off, but I can say that about most managers. We should have won a number of trophies but fallen just short, and some of it (though certainly not all) was plain bad luck. Would you swap Wenger for the much-lauded Van Gaal, who has chucked money at getting results and has so far failed dismally? I like Klopp at Dortmund, but achieving well in Germany doesn't translate into doing well here. It is very frustrating, but until someone tells me who would do better, and more importantly why, then I will stick to my view. Of course I wish we had signed a defender in the summer, it was madness not to, but the season's not over yet.

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

clockender1 wrote:he does, doesn't he....i meant against united btw - we will do badly at an organised and rested swansea, despite the fact they are having problems scoring goals.

but we should thump united - if we don't thats when we might see more rebellion. a loss would be interesting.

our upcoming games all look tricky :

Swans A
United H
Dortmund H
WBA A
Soton H
Stoke A

losses at home to dortmund (possible) and Southampton (very likely) in a short space might really get the cat calls going.

looking at the league - i think we only pick up maybe 4/5 points so i think we'll be about 7/8th and 4th gone by then.
Erm sorry are you bring serious here? The team that can't beat Hull and Anderlecht at home, and that can't stop their average strikers, is going to stop Di Maria, Rooney and RVP with ease? Wenger is going to tactically outsmart LVG? Don't get me wrong it's possible we win. But , the only "thumpings" dished out this season have been v Burnley and Galatassaray. This team is nowhere good enough to thump Manure. If Citeh couldn't how on wrath will we?! :rubchin:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Must get boring after a while

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

Block93 wrote:Here's another scenario. We finish second in the group, and draw Barcelona in the last 16. During the transfer window, we sign one/two accomplished CL-eligible defenders, and an effective CDM, and all the players are fit again, we put out Walcott, Sanchez, Ox, Welbeck going forward, which is serious enough pace to trouble the creaking bones of Pique, Mascherano etc, we can then set up properly in midfield, and defence is solid with strength in depth, and we nick a win....all of a sudden everything looks different. Ancelotti gave away a 3-0 lead in a CL final if I recall, it happens. Last night was horrendous, an absolute nightmare, but whatever anyone thinks, I don't think there's currently anyone who would do better (Guardiola didn't do so brilliantly last season), with the possible exception of Mourinho, but Arsenal just doesn't work like that. Yes, I know I am the type of person lots of you will direct your anger against, but as I pay my £2600 or so each year for my son and me I am entitled to my view. Lots of things about Wenger over the last few years seriously piss me off, but I can say that about most managers. We should have won a number of trophies but fallen just short, and some of it (though certainly not all) was plain bad luck. Would you swap Wenger for the much-lauded Van Gaal, who has chucked money at getting results and has so far failed dismally? I like Klopp at Dortmund, but achieving well in Germany doesn't translate into doing well here. It is very frustrating, but until someone tells me who would do better, and more importantly why, then I will stick to my view. Of course I wish we had signed a defender in the summer, it was madness not to, but the season's not over yet.
My God. I thought u lot were all extinct?

1. "Doing well in Germany" might not necessarily translate to doing well in England, but Wenker has proved over 10 yrs, that he ain't capable of finishing top 2 let alone winning the league. Managing is not the same as playing in different leagues. Tactics are tactics, and Klopp has proved in Europe he's a far superior manager. See result few weeks ago.

2. Why should someone " tell you who would do better"? Klopp, Ancelotti, Pep, or the league table and spending shows Koeman to be far superior.

3. The day after Arsenal became the first English team to fail to beat a belgian side at home, the first English team to ever fail to win a CL game when 3-0 up, and after a summer where Wenger spent huge dosh but can't beat Everton, can't beat Hull, can't beat Southampton in the cups, can't measure up to Klopp, can't recruit defenders better than the rubbish we have, and has a head to head record against Jose that is inferior to Pulis, Lambert, and even the Basel manager, you are SERIOUSLY asking if anyone could do better than 3 wins in 9 games? LOL

With "fans" like you, Kroenke, Sir Tits and Wenker must be laughing very hoarsely....
Small- time. But keep paying your £2600 a year, top value! LOL
:roll:

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

utd will beat us. Both defences are shit, but they are still more organised than we are, and on the counter will rip us to shreds.

Remember the Tottenham game how we let them down the flanks, giving them chances to score, now imagine instead of lamela its di maria and instead of adebayor its van persie.

In fact the 1st half vs Tottenham was the same as the 1st vs anderlect, plenty of warning signs.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:With "fans" like you, Kroenke, Sir Tits and Wenker must be laughing very hoarsely....
Small- time. But keep paying your £2600 a year, top value! LOL
:roll:
Have you any thoughts on Salomon Kalou?

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Didn't take long for baba to let the mask slip.