THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
clockender1

Re: WENGER - Views For and Against.

Post by clockender1 »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:
clockender1 wrote:he does, doesn't he....i meant against united btw - we will do badly at an organised and rested swansea, despite the fact they are having problems scoring goals.

but we should thump united - if we don't thats when we might see more rebellion. a loss would be interesting.

our upcoming games all look tricky :

Swans A
United H
Dortmund H
WBA A
Soton H
Stoke A

losses at home to dortmund (possible) and Southampton (very likely) in a short space might really get the cat calls going.

looking at the league - i think we only pick up maybe 4/5 points so i think we'll be about 7/8th and 4th gone by then.
Erm sorry are you bring serious here? The team that can't beat Hull and Anderlecht at home, and that can't stop their average strikers, is going to stop Di Maria, Rooney and RVP with ease? Wenger is going to tactically outsmart LVG? Don't get me wrong it's possible we win. But , the only "thumpings" dished out this season have been v Burnley and Galatassaray. This team is nowhere good enough to thump Manure. If Citeh couldn't how on wrath will we?! :rubchin:
no you misunderstood - i said we should thump united. because their defence and midfield is shit. but i don't think we will - but i do think the AKB's will accept a dour 1-1 or 0-0. the swing supporters though might get a little bit physically jaded should we lose to them.

Block93

Post by Block93 »

I wondered when the name Koeman would find its way into the posts as being a 'superior manager'. Of course these boards were absolutely chock full of his name last season, when most people probably didn't even know he was still in football. It's always easy to be wise after an event, but no, I wouldn't take Koeman. Any more than Kalou for that matter, (what a witty response that was!). And it hadn't occurred to me that I was extinct, except maybe in the context of this thread, but as I exist quite effectively in the real world, I must assume I am still going.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Block93 wrote:Here's another scenario. We finish second in the group, and draw Barcelona in the last 16. During the transfer window, we sign one/two accomplished CL-eligible defenders, and an effective CDM, and all the players are fit again, we put out Walcott, Sanchez, Ox, Welbeck going forward, which is serious enough pace to trouble the creaking bones of Pique, Mascherano etc, we can then set up properly in midfield, and defence is solid with strength in depth, and we nick a win....all of a sudden everything looks different. .
that scenario mustn't have wenger in it, cos he's already said he's not buying one CB let alone two. plus wenger has no idea how to set these players up or direct them where and how to play - what did he do last night in the last 27 minutes when we were 3-1 up still ?

the answer to that is absolutely nothing - whereas a smart manager would have told the fullbacks to stay back and tuck in, for ramsay and flamini to drop deep with ox and stifle them and hope to hit the killer goal on the break, but wenger did nothing.

your scenario is what any normal rational person would do - even redknapp or allardyce woudl do it, but unfortunately we do not have a normal person as manager.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Block93 wrote:I wondered when the name Koeman would find its way into the posts as being a 'superior manager'. Of course these boards were absolutely chock full of his name last season, when most people probably didn't even know he was still in football. It's always easy to be wise after an event, but no, I wouldn't take Koeman. Any more than Kalou for that matter, (what a witty response that was!). And it hadn't occurred to me that I was extinct, except maybe in the context of this thread, but as I exist quite effectively in the real world, I must assume I am still going.
Erm, I wasn't addressing that comment at you; it's kind of an in-joke from a few years ago.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Block93 wrote:Here's another scenario. We finish second in the group, and draw Barcelona in the last 16. During the transfer window, we sign one/two accomplished CL-eligible defenders, and an effective CDM, and all the players are fit again, we put out Walcott, Sanchez, Ox, Welbeck going forward, which is serious enough pace to trouble the creaking bones of Pique, Mascherano etc, we can then set up properly in midfield, and defence is solid with strength in depth, and we nick a win....all of a sudden everything looks different. Ancelotti gave away a 3-0 lead in a CL final if I recall, it happens. Last night was horrendous, an absolute nightmare, but whatever anyone thinks, I don't think there's currently anyone who would do better (Guardiola didn't do so brilliantly last season), with the possible exception of Mourinho, but Arsenal just doesn't work like that. Yes, I know I am the type of person lots of you will direct your anger against, but as I pay my £2600 or so each year for my son and me I am entitled to my view. Lots of things about Wenger over the last few years seriously piss me off, but I can say that about most managers. We should have won a number of trophies but fallen just short, and some of it (though certainly not all) was plain bad luck. Would you swap Wenger for the much-lauded Van Gaal, who has chucked money at getting results and has so far failed dismally? I like Klopp at Dortmund, but achieving well in Germany doesn't translate into doing well here. It is very frustrating, but until someone tells me who would do better, and more importantly why, then I will stick to my view. Of course I wish we had signed a defender in the summer, it was madness not to, but the season's not over yet.
I think you're doing Wenger a disservice by suggesting he might only be the 2nd best manager on the planet. He's doing a great job compared to Steve Kean, Christian Gross and Harold Shipman.

Out of interest which trophies have we fallen 'just short' of since moving? Apart from the League Cup in 2011 where we trailed Ipswich after 150 minutes without scoring and lost to relegated Birmingham?

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

I wish we had signed a defender in the summer, it was madness not to
so you think no other manager in world football would have thought to do that?

surely your taking the piss, if your accepting his gross mismanagement, but saying no-one else can do better than your being hypocritical

Herd

Post by Herd »

I'd love to see his Psychiatrist report .
Symptoms
Delusional,Passive Aggressive Deflects OCD I think it runs between Narcissism and Schizophrenia !

TurnipMasher

Post by TurnipMasher »

Herd wrote:I'd love to see his Psychiatrist report .
Symptoms
Delusional,Passive Aggressive Deflects OCD I think it runs between Narcissism and Schizophrenia !

Conduct Disorder
Undifferentiated somatoform disorder
Narcissistic personality disorder
Transient Global Amnesia

augie

Post by augie »

Why did the media not quiz him on the lack of respect shown to anderlecht manager at final whistle ? :o

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

augie wrote:Why did the media not quiz him on the lack of respect shown to anderlecht manager at final whistle ? :o
With the one honourable exception the media do not question him on anything.

in my heart

Post by in my heart »

I cannot understand the protection wenger gets from the media,
Pundits last night were slating pellegreni even Quinn was talking about him getting sacked!!
FFS!!!! They never directly critisize wenger for his lack of tactics, lack of touch line coaching, complete lack of respect for other managers and his shambolic transfer windows, oh.... Constant injuries

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

in my heart wrote:I cannot understand the protection wenger gets from the media,
Pundits last night were slating pellegreni even Quinn was talking about him getting sacked!!
FFS!!!! They never directly critisize wenger for his lack of tactics, lack of touch line coaching, complete lack of respect for other managers and his shambolic transfer windows, oh.... Constant injuries
because to be fair to Wenger he never actually fails that badly - we always qualify from our group and always finish 4th

he is still here as manager because of his consistency.

Ed Hunter The Gooner

Post by Ed Hunter The Gooner »

Well written piece about Arsenal in winners and losers article by football365... Arsenal can be found obviously from loser section...

http://www.football365.com/winners-lose ... ers-Losers

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Ed Hunter The Gooner wrote:Well written piece about Arsenal in winners and losers article by football365... Arsenal can be found obviously from loser section...

http://www.football365.com/winners-lose ... ers-Losers
very good article.

the AKBs will point out though that the losers section also features Chelsea, City and Liverpool

SPUDMASHER

Threats against Wenger

Post by SPUDMASHER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
robbo10 wrote:Are we allowed to hope ISIS kidnap him or is that not allowed either?
If we raised 100m for his release he would give it back to us
I would imagine that ISIS would give him and the money back if he started managing the 'ISIS international first eleven'.