THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
defleppardisking

Re: WENGER - Views For and Against.

Post by defleppardisking »

Many want him out but still people keep coming to matches and nobody dares to creat significant protest and voice out their disapproval of him in the stadium. That's why he's still here and thus we get what we deserved

augie

Post by augie »

defleppardisking wrote:Many want him out but still people keep coming to matches and nobody dares to creat significant protest and voice out their disapproval of him in the stadium. That's why he's still here and thus we get what we deserved

Gave up two season tickets at the end of the 2012/13 season and swore that I wouldnt be back again until le cock is gone - to date I have lived by that promise but it is hard not going over to games so I wont say for sure that I wont break that promise. In some regards it has been easier sticking by my stand because money is a lot tighter now

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

I was angry after yesterday's game, but hearing Wenger's comments after the match, really pissed me off. It would be ok to reference financial resources, if we were in 2004, but now adays plenty of clubs have billionaire owners, who are willing to pump money into their chosen club. Infact, we have a billionaire owner, but he will only put into the club, enough money to make a profit for himself. Also, if clubs like City/Chelsea can spend more than you, wouldnt you at least spend what is available to you. We could have easily bought a world class striker and a defensive midfielder, without leaving ourselves broke. If Wenger was honest, he would admit that our transfer poilicy, is based on finishing in the top four, and nothing else, but he is classless, and is happy to earn his millions, despite having done nothing to earn it.

WENGER OUT

in my heart

Post by in my heart »

I am trying to be rational so after 'calming down' not only with the display but the post match press conferences which were frankly embarrassing.
like in most careers,football management / coaching evolves,
Younger hungrier more dynamic people come through, tactics evolve, training methods evolve
Wenger was once a truly great manager, innovative & dynamic but he is a man in his latter part of his career and
His style hasn't evolved. The obvious flaws in our squad were not addressed but blatantly ignored, most signings were to replace outgoing players. The team look lost, rudderless with no real leadership on the pitch and in the dugout.
Players out of position, oxlade Chamberlin dropped was bewildering.
Flamini not up to this level,
the excuses and rhetoric displayed by wenger in the post match interviews summed up the mentality of the whole club, desperate excuses for mediocrity.
I was desperate for wenger to retire on a successful high after the FA cup last may or for the board to make that decision for him, alas we will see a further decline before his 3 years are up.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Ridiculous comments by There's Only One in regard to their financial power - we had the two most expensive players on the field FFS.....plus a £16m right back, a £16m centre forward plus however much Santi cost (£15m ?).

Its how you spend the money you useless prick - £42m on a bloke who has contributed fuck all in a position we couldn't have needed anyone less. If he'd spent £32m of that on Costa he would have another £10m to put towards a decent CB or CDM that we've needed for years

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

the trouble is we all knew that his contract expired at the end of last season and to be honest there wasn't any real demonstrations calling for him to go. I have been to 2 games this season and haven't felt any discontent. It is ok blaming the board for a lack of ambition but maybe they look at the fanbase and think we are contented how things are? :oops:

look at the Pardew situation - ok he is still there but at least Newcastle supporters are giving it a real go trying to remove him.

enjibenji

Post by enjibenji »

We had lost this game well before we even stepped on the pitch yesterday,all week sky were building this up to be the mourinho vs wenger and not chelsea vs arsenal. All week mourinho was fishing for bites off wenger and yesterday he got it when wenger shoved him, to me mourinhos mind games were just as good as his tactics yesterday. Maybey arsene should work on his own "mental strength" before branding them words about again

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:the trouble is we all knew that his contract expired at the end of last season and to be honest there wasn't any real demonstrations calling for him to go. I have been to 2 games this season and haven't felt any discontent. It is ok blaming the board for a lack of ambition but maybe they look at the fanbase and think we are contented how things are? :oops:

look at the Pardew situation - ok he is still there but at least Newcastle supporters are giving it a real go trying to remove him.

I agree with this - we all say that we can accept bad results if we feel that every player (and manager) gives his all and does everything possible to bring success to the club, but yet we amble along doing nothing to cause any kind of shake up at the club despite the vast majority accepting a radical overhaul is long overdue. I firmly believe that the majority of Gooners want wenker gone (and nothing will convince me otherwise) but even the wenker supporters all accept that the board, coaching staff, scouting etc is badly underperforming and needs change so why aren't we doing anything ? I have always felt that Gooners have a touch of snobbery about them - we don't want to be seen to kick up a major fuss for fear of it reflecting on our status/rep (steady on old chap and all that bullshit :roll: ) and for me it is a ridiculous stance. Veteran fans moan about being treated as customers nowadays (as opposed to being treated as fans) but if we are being treated as customers then why shouldnt we behave like customers and complain when the service and quality of product is unacceptable ?

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Because Wenger has conditioned too many Arsenal fans with his soundbites (like yesterday's about finance) the buying into and unconditional support of Wenger will continue until such time HE wants to go. It will be no one else's decision.
If Wenger cannot see what is wrong, if the board cannot see what is wrong and if supporters cannot see what is wrong , then it will remain wrong !!

augie

Post by augie »

enjibenji wrote:We had lost this game well before we even stepped on the pitch yesterday,all week sky were building this up to be the mourinho vs wenger and not chelsea vs arsenal. All week mourinho was fishing for bites off wenger and yesterday he got it when wenger shoved him, to me mourinhos mind games were just as good as his tactics yesterday. Maybey arsene should work on his own "mental strength" before branding them words about again

Le cocks push on moaninho yesterday should be used as a symbol for modern day AFC - willing to do something, but not willing to do enough to be successful......either deck the portugese c.unt or sit the fcuk down :roll: Personally I think seeing the portugese w*nker floored by any manager would be great and would surely be worth whatever ban is then handed out

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

exactly. should have flipped him over.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Bradywasking wrote:Because Wenger has conditioned too many Arsenal fans with his soundbites (like yesterday's about finance) the buying into and unconditional support of Wenger will continue until such time HE wants to go. It will be no one else's decision.
If Wenger cannot see what is wrong, if the board cannot see what is wrong and if supporters cannot see what is wrong , then it will remain wrong !!
Your making the assertion that the board cant see what is wrong, but doesnt it make more sense, that they are happy with how things are going at the moment. Wenger never spends much on players(apart from Sanchez and Ozil), and he finishes in the V.T. spot every year, and in turn makes them a tidy profit. They are so desperate to keep Wenger, because he will never rock the boat, where as, a new manager might have the crazy notion of buying players that could actually challenge for the title, and not be content with a top four finish every year.

Ed Hunter The Gooner

Post by Ed Hunter The Gooner »

BFG4 wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:Because Wenger has conditioned too many Arsenal fans with his soundbites (like yesterday's about finance) the buying into and unconditional support of Wenger will continue until such time HE wants to go. It will be no one else's decision.
Your making the assertion that the board cant see what is wrong, but doesnt it make more sense, that they are happy with how things are going at the moment. Wenger never spends much on players(apart from Sanchez and Ozil), and he finishes in the V.T. spot every year, and in turn makes them a tidy profit. They are so desperate to keep Wenger, because he will never rock the boat, where as, a new manager might have the crazy notion of buying players that could actually challenge for the title, and not be content with a top four finish every year.
Agree. Why jeopardize solid profits generated every year. Arsenal business is based on image sold to the fans, not on actual footballing success.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

BFG4 wrote:
Cannot argue with that BFG4, the board cannot see what is wrong because they are not looking because they do not believe anything is wrong.

Brady's left peg

Post by Brady's left peg »

augie wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:the trouble is we all knew that his contract expired at the end of last season and to be honest there wasn't any real demonstrations calling for him to go. I have been to 2 games this season and haven't felt any discontent. It is ok blaming the board for a lack of ambition but maybe they look at the fanbase and think we are contented how things are? :oops:

I agree with this - we all say that we can accept bad results if we feel that every player (and manager) gives his all and does everything possible to bring success to the club, but yet we amble along doing nothing to cause any kind of shake up at the club despite the vast majority accepting a radical overhaul is long overdue. I firmly believe that the majority of Gooners want wenker gone (and nothing will convince me otherwise) but even the wenker supporters all accept that the board, coaching staff, scouting etc is badly underperforming and needs change so why aren't we doing anything ? I have always felt that Gooners have a touch of snobbery about them - we don't want to be seen to kick up a major fuss for fear of it reflecting on our status/rep (steady on old chap and all that bullshit :roll: ) and for me it is a ridiculous stance. Veteran fans moan about being treated as customers nowadays (as opposed to being treated as fans) but if we are being treated as customers then why shouldnt we behave like customers and complain when the service and quality of product is unacceptable ?
I relinquished my ST end of 12/13 I should of rented it out really, but at that time I really couldn't imagine myself ever wanting to payout the stupid amount of money required to watch the dross we were serving up ever again.
I still go now and then but believe it or not tickets are getting harder to come by...( Must be down to this successful cup winning side). :oops:
I don't agree with you augie re the amount of fans that want Wenger gone, on a match day we are in the minority they will defend their glorious leader to the hilt, and anybody who dares question his management is subjected to a volley of vitriolic abuse and worse still told to fuck off and support the tiny totts. :evil: The blind Wengerite sheep will hang on the deluded ones every word and will follow him like lambs to the slaughter.
As has been said before as great a feeling as it was, winning the FA cup is ultimately... probably the worst thing that could of happened... yes it may of removed the monkey from our backs but at the expense of three more years of inept management. I really hoped that after winning the FA cup he would leave on a high, and hand over to a young hungry manager a team full of confidence and looking to build on their success.
While much of the blame but not all (the players have to shoulder some of the blame) for match failures can be attributed to the manager, the board cannot be exempt from criticsm for our failings. The current board appear to be weak, unambitious and devoid of the football knowledge needed to be successful at this level. Money is there prime motivator and any footballing issues seem to be overlooked as long as the money keeps rolling in, in fact the man who is responsible for causing some of those issues is the same man tasked to address the problem! :banghead:
It is apparent that little if any pressure is applied to the manager to succeed and it seems he is given total control over everything below board level. Even if Wenger went he would still be given carte blanch when it comes to selecting his replacement, as the board appear to be unable or unwilling to do this themselves.
And before everyone jumps on me and asks how do I know this... I don't it is purely supposition based on the way the club has acted in the past few years and on information gleened from various media outlets during the same period. :wink:
So much for a quick reply... :lol: