EURO 2012 KNOCKOUT ROUNDS

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Vinny1967

Re: EURO 2012 KNOCKOUT ROUNDS

Post by Vinny1967 »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:I just think you've got to admire them, sure one day someone's gonna stop them but for me they ate brilliant, I love the way that pass the ball and how all of them have such a wonderful first touch.....pure football players, even ramos is a brilliant football player, just watch his penalty again, his touch, they are head and shoulders above everyone else.

I thought earlier in the tournament they were playing below themselves and conserving energy and just doing enough and it showed, Italy were shattered and Spain could play another game.
I have to say they looked tired to me in the Semi Final and hope they were not playing within themselves as they were cutting it very fine :lol:

Otherwise I completely agree with you. Superb team and deserving winners.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

kite wrote:Well I made it. I predictet every single game wrong :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

kite

Post by kite »

Dan_85 wrote:
kite wrote:Well I made it. I predictet every single game wrong :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
Arsenal won't win a trophy next season.
Mark my words 8)

:lol:

Vinny1967

Post by Vinny1967 »

kite wrote:
Dan_85 wrote:
Arsenal won't win a trophy next season.
Mark my words 8)

:lol:

:high5: Thanks Kite :lol:

Post by 1989 »

Best national team I've ever seen, this Spanish group.
They will probably win the World Cup in 2 years as well.

Truly privileged to have been alive to watch this generation of Spanish footballers, utterly magestic.
Will take a hell of a team to defeat these lot, make no mistake.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

I think the Germans will be stronger come 2014. Bad management lost them the game against Italy with the resting of players the game before.

Also think Brazil will be hard beat

augie

Post by augie »

Mixed feelings tonight......on one hand you have to tip your hat to Spain who are simply majestic on their day and today was very much one of those days where Cesc and ineista in particular were outstanding. On the other hand several of Italy's players simply bottled it on the day especially marchisio, montolivio and abate and against a team like Spain you simply cannot afford to carry players like that. On a more positive note ballotelli worked his rocks off tonight and deserves recognition as he was literally starved of decent possession and support :(

One last point just relates to 2 of Spain's keepers - firstly it has to be said that casillas's handling at times tonight, especially from the few shots he had to deal with, was very very suspect :shock: Secondly pepe reina is a Wanker - the guy struts around after all these finals like he was a key player for his country when the reality is that he has won 3 medals with Spain and my Labrador contributed as much to those successes as he did :roll: C**t :evil: :evil: :evil:

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

They've had their critics, me included, for some of their less inspiring (but still match winning) performances, but tonight this Spain team showed that they are the best national side ever. They've made history, and played some exceptional stuff. Many a team has tried to combine pretty football with a solid defence and title winning performances, but it takes a special group of players to achieve it.

I wouldn't bet against them doing it all again in 2014 either.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Superb side, brilliant squad, great manager and fantastic football. Nothing much else needs to be said, except that personally I'm very happy for Cesc. 8)

kite

Post by kite »

Leyton Gooner wrote:They've had their critics, me included, for some of their less inspiring (but still match winning) performances, but tonight this Spain team showed that they are the best national side ever. They've made history, and played some exceptional stuff. Many a team has tried to combine pretty football with a solid defence and title winning performances, but it takes a special group of players to achieve it.

This.
Just wait and see them winning the world cup without conceding a single goal :lol:
Fuck, they conceded one goal in 6 games. Can you belive it? No :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Leyton Gooner wrote:They've had their critics, me included, for some of their less inspiring (but still match winning) performances, but tonight this Spain team showed that they are the best national side ever. They've made history, and played some exceptional stuff. Many a team has tried to combine pretty football with a solid defence and title winning performances, but it takes a special group of players to achieve it.

Tonight was very much Spain sticking up two fingers to all the nay-sayers over the last few weeks. Winning 3 tournaments in a row is a fantastic achievement and in addition to some great attacking football over the 3 tournaments they have shown great defensive fortitude. I'm not their biggest fan but credit where it's due. At least there was one truly exhilarating performance before this dreadful tournament came to an end, Italy did well to reach the final but they are not a team that should be making major finals. Holland were shit, Germany were shit when it mattered, France unsurprisingly didn't live up to the billing they received in some quarters, England's lack of quality was painfully exposed, Portugal put in some good performances but didn't have the staying power and the also-rans were that. I really miss the flair and recklessness that South American and African teams bring to the table, makes for far more interesting tournaments.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

I can only endorse the pro Spain remarks on here.
I would feel extremely proud if my nation could achieve just a third of what they have done.
Also glad that Cesc has an overload of silverware.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

i'm really happy for Cesc. he deserves it.

had he played for anyone else other than The Arsenal, the media would have been creaming over him as the greatest foreign player ever, as they have with Zola - even though we've also had two players who were better than him too.

Sutch

Post by Sutch »

Wankers, I was hoping Italy would nick a win against them. People seem to forget that this Spanish side is full of Barcewhores, the very players who did their best to unsettle Cesc and whose superiors made it their mission to unsettle Henry. Nothing against the Real Madrid players in their squad though.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Spain are living proof that tip tappy football ,not only can work but is unstoppable as long as you have the players with the skill and are prepared to work for each other on and off the ball,the way they shut down Italy in their own half was amazing.
They covered Pirlo and anyone else's channel making no easy outlet,I dont blame Montolivio he was just by passed !

Unfortunately I have a horrible suspicion that Mons Wenger will take heart from this and continue to apply the formula with players nowhere near such standards............again !
We know also too well that playing tip tap in the premier league will cost you 2 bad injuries a season minimum so u need a large squad,which we haven't got !