Is it time to ditch the International tournos?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Get rid of international tournos?

I love the international tournaments
54%
Love the World Cup hate the Euros
No votes
Love the Euros hate the World Cup
No votes
Get rid. Just another way for a gunner to get injured.
17%
I'm just a bit "meh" about them TBH...
29%

Total votes: 24

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Re: Is it time to ditch the International tournos?

Post by LDB »

Nah. Although the quality is often disappointing from the players on show I still find them highly watchable.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

I find them less and less interesting each passing year, although it's a football lifeblood in the summer.

Perhaps it's an over-familiarity with the players - the first world cup that I can really remember properly was the '82 one in Spain. Played in huge stadiums that I'd never seen before, in sunshine that I'd never seen before :lol: , by players 95% of which I'd never seen or probably even heard of. Where empty spaces in the stands weren't a crime, where a beautiful Brazil side made the ball do things that seemed to defy belief, and where stats were not rammed down everyone's throats by the geeks who now sit proudly at the top table of the game today :banghead:

:cry:

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

Yes, ditch all international football.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

After the disappointment and frustration of watching our season, I wasn't much looking forward to the Euro's. However, I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of most of the matches and have enjoyed it more - England's dismal performances apart - than I thought I would. 8)

Vinny1967

Post by Vinny1967 »

Irish Gooner wrote:Its been a fantastic tournament. The Euros are always better than the World cup lately, too many shite teams in the World Cup. They also seem to put the World Cup in the worst places on earth for football to spread it out or some shit. The temperature in these places fucks it up. When its in Quatar it will be pathetic. I think there might be an underlying issue here. Most people here are English/Irish and our teams were boring and the shittest in the tournament. Alot of English people dont seem to care about it either, mind you its the same in France.

Depends on the person really, for me I would support Ireland before Arsenal certainly. I'm not from London so its not the same. Also I feel year by year I give less of a fuck about Arsenal than I did before. Ever since we moved from Highbury and the oil barons started buying trophies club football has not been the same.

I would get rid of the Premier League first. At least you cant buy the Euros or World cup.
This + 1.

Cracking tournament and I have enjoyed it immensely.

Delorean Dor's

Post by Delorean Dor's »

This has definitely been the best Euros for me, I've watched some of the group games and nearly all of the all of the semi finals, well at least two of them. Its a shame that neither of the host nations progressed but I guess thats as a result of results. I do like that the cameraman though when he zooms in on the lovely ladies in the crowd, not as many mingers as you get at the grove.

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

I Hate Hleb wrote:After the disappointment and frustration of watching our season, I wasn't much looking forward to the Euro's. However, I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of most of the matches and have enjoyed it more - England's dismal performances apart - than I thought I would. 8)
Nothing to do with you being Italian then? :D

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

on the whole I'm a bit "meh". I really detested '10 in South Africa, some poor football , and an even poorer atmosphere droned out by those annoying vevuzelas. But even more than that I detest the twats that are suddenly interested in football when theres an international tournament .
Obviously the quality of the Euros is better than the WC, less average south american and asian sides and less fixtures too, which is probably why I've enjoyed Euro 2012. I think most football fans will say this has been the best international tournament for a while .

HashKads

Post by HashKads »

The thing I hate about internationals is people who have absolutely no interest in football other than these tournaments. They usually haven't a clue about football or any of the players and it's just a cringefest of a convo that I hate having.

Usually I hate international football but I have thoroughly enjoyed this one. I think the standard of football has been decent. And nice to come home from work with footy on everyday I suppose :barscarf:

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

This Euro has been shite!!!

I'm not a fan of International football at all. As it has been said, it brings out the ''supporters'' who only pay attention when Euros or the World cup come on the TV. I hate that. People who haven't got a £$%^&* clue what they are talking about giving it the biggen.

You know ^&*@ all about football so STFU!!!

I also hate international football because its the most boring piece of shit going.

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

pros:
can watch some football without the stress and disappointment of watching Arsenal
The winner is determined by quality of players produced bythe country, not the team with the most money
Football on every night

cons:
The football is usually shit
Blatter/Platini
The hype surrounding England and the eventual realisation from the media and deluded fans that we're shit
W*nkers who know f all about the game giving it all that (but to be fair I get that the rest of the year from spuds, chavs and mancs as well)