Van Persie saga, officially not extending contract.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Chippy

Re: Van Persie saga, officially not extending contract.

Post by Chippy »

My opinion is about 5 posts up.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

northbank123 wrote:
Chippy wrote:
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:What amazes me is that posters on here are slagged off by certain posters for defending wenger/Arsenal and labelled sheep/deluded etc for believing him/them but the same posters are then taken in hook line and sinker by a complete PR stunt to bolster a certain Dutch nationals bank balance, you couldn't fucking make it up.
Even if RVP is doing a PR stunt that does not change the facts of the last 7 years. In those 7 years the mighty Arsenal have been dominant in the ..... oh I give up...

Baaa
I appreciate that, but the truth of that sentiment and the merits of RvP's actions are two completely different things. What I (and presumably LFLG) am saying is that it's possible to think the club is being poorly run AND that RvP was selfish and wrong. If you don't think he was wrong then fair enough but I don't understand how people don't really have an opinion on it.
Exactly, it is possible to think both but I'm particularly pissed off with Van Persie because he's talking as if he's carried the club for the last few years when the facts are plain to see.
Robin, you've made it clear that you don't want to be here anymore so close the door on your way out there's a good boy

augie

Post by augie »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:What amazes me is that posters on here are slagged off by certain posters for defending wenger/Arsenal and labelled sheep/deluded etc for believing him/them but the same posters are then taken in hook line and sinker by a complete PR stunt to bolster a certain Dutch nationals bank balance, you couldn't fucking make it up.

Let's face facts here - rvp is not intending signing a new contract. Whether he makes that statement or not will not change his intentions. The fact that he is intent on leaving (forget about his statement for a mo) saddens me in the same way that it saddened me when Cesc, PV4 etc left but doesn't anger me in the way that flamini's, cashly's, greedyisawhore and petite pute did. As far as I am concerned there is no direct link between rvp's statement and his intentions - in other words I don't care if he goes for the money now or not cos when he is gone he is gone regardless of the reason.

Maybe I am naive but I do believe that the decline and lack of ambition and investment in the club has accelerated the departures of key players like rvp and Cesc - 10 years ago this type of thing wouldn't be happening and def wouldn't be happening every fcuking summer and for me there is a distinct link between our players deciding to leave and the drying up of our trophy accumulation. To me,and thousands of Gooners like me, it is heartbreaking to sit idly by as the club we love now set 4th place as their target for the season and celebrate it like winning the world cup :oops: Personally it angers me how so many fans are appalled by this yet some unwilling to support any type of action that will publicly send that message of anger and frustration to wenger and the board :x It is for this reason above all else that I am pleased by rvp's statement as it has brought all the issues that we have been incensed about into the public domain and could finally rally the supporters into taking action against the club and whether he believes in what he said or not is irrelevant.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Chippy wrote:
Even if RVP is doing a PR stunt that does not change the facts of the last 7 years. In those 7 years the mighty Arsenal have been dominant in the ..... oh I give up...

Baaa
Ha ha, me a sheep :roll: read my posts before you retort with that childish drivel, and by the way, with your views ON THIS FORUM I think you'll find find your the sheep :roll: 8)

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

augie wrote:

Let's face facts here - rvp is not intending signing a new contract. Whether he makes that statement or not will not change his intentions. The fact that he is intent on leaving (forget about his statement for a mo) saddens me in the same way that it saddened me when Cesc, PV4 etc left but doesn't anger me in the way that flamini's, cashly's, greedyisawhore and petite pute did. As far as I am concerned there is no direct link between rvp's statement and his intentions - in other words I don't care if he goes for the money now or not cos when he is gone he is gone regardless of the reason.

Maybe I am naive but I do believe that the decline and lack of ambition and investment in the club has accelerated the departures of key players like rvp and Cesc - 10 years ago this type of thing wouldn't be happening and def wouldn't be happening every fcuking summer and for me there is a distinct link between our players deciding to leave and the drying up of our trophy accumulation. To me,and thousands of Gooners like me, it is heartbreaking to sit idly by as the club we love now set 4th place as their target for the season and celebrate it like winning the world cup :oops: Personally it angers me how so many fans are appalled by this yet some unwilling to support any type of action that will publicly send that message of anger and frustration to wenger and the board :x It is for this reason above all else that I am pleased by rvp's statement as it has brought all the issues that we have been incensed about into the public domain and could finally rally the supporters into taking action against the club and whether he believes in what he said or not is irrelevant.

Augie if you look at my post before then I clearly state that much needs to change at The Arsenal and that will include the manager (though I will never insult him because he has done a great deal of good work for us) but that doesn't disguise the fact that RVP and his advisors are manipulating a move away for a massive pay hike.

Money is their god, plain and simple, sad but true and that's regardless if what your opinion of wenger is.

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

Chippy wrote:Robin wants to win trophies. He'd rather win them at Arsenal , especially as they will give him a good deal (but crap compared to City). However he realises from his conversations with the powers that be that they have no ambition. He issues a statement that basically says, I've had enough, you promised me (Cesc, Thierry, Patrick, etc) that you would invest and you haven't, my only choice is to leave. Simples. Good luck to the fella and I hope he has shaken a few of the twats at the top out of their complacency.
I agree with this 100% But if the guy goes to another premier league team that = no class, and no real passion towards the club....i just pray he's doing a rooney and kind of forcing the clubs hand. I doubt it though.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

As I understand things Robin has allegedly been offered £130,000 pw plus a £5m signing on fee - which brings it to around £180,000 a week over 2 years. There's not that much difference between that and what Man City are allegedly prepared to pay him so I doubt that RVP would be going through with this - knowing all the upheaval for the family and inevitable abuse from the fans it would cause - purely for a few grand a week more.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

northbankbren wrote:
Chippy wrote:Robin wants to win trophies. He'd rather win them at Arsenal , especially as they will give him a good deal (but crap compared to City). However he realises from his conversations with the powers that be that they have no ambition. He issues a statement that basically says, I've had enough, you promised me (Cesc, Thierry, Patrick, etc) that you would invest and you haven't, my only choice is to leave. Simples. Good luck to the fella and I hope he has shaken a few of the twats at the top out of their complacency.
I agree with this 100% But if the guy goes to another premier league team that = no class, and no real passion towards the club....i just pray he's doing a rooney and kind of forcing the clubs hand. I doubt it though.
Don't see it. Aside from the board not wanting to be held to ransom and the fact everybody knows that there is a huge element of truth to what he said, the way he said it was carefully worded so as to rule out any possibility of remaining at the club even for one year. It wasn't a simple transfer request (heavens forbid that may cost him his loyalty bonus!), it was too calculated and deliberate to be a ploy.

Old Oak Gooner

Post by Old Oak Gooner »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Old Oak Gooner wrote:Look, lets not kid ourselves chaps- this is a thinly disguised move by RVP to get a move to City- how much money do these footballers need, he has had one great season with the club and we thank him for that, we wet nursed him when he was constantly injured,-show some loyalty- he owes us and he 'loves the club', so sell the money grabber now :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

This I'm afraid is how I feel about the whole situation. Of course the club is to blame as well but how could they they have offered an injury prone player a 5 year contract 2 years ago?, In my opinion RVP simply wants more money and the medal argument just doesn't wash with me anymore. I've said it before and I'll say it again, footballers are all fucking mercenaries these days. Fuck the lot of 'em :banghead:

Thanks for the rep and agree with your comments too- you fucking owe us mate.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

I Hate Hleb wrote:As I understand things Robin has allegedly been offered £130,000 pw plus a £5m signing on fee - which brings it to around £180,000 a week over 2 years. There's not that much difference between that and what Man City are allegedly prepared to pay him so I doubt that RVP would be going through with this - knowing all the upheaval for the family and inevitable abuse from the fans it would cause - purely for a few grand a week more.
Makes sense. In addition, I feel that some of this is a little too polarised.

Very few footballers make a calculation along the basis of "owing something" to the club because of past injury/scoring record. It is juts a question of timing that he is at the peak years of his career, and his stock is never going to be higher. Now, does he love the club - maybe, in some way, but who cares? Does he love the fans? again, same thing. He was born in Rotterdam, had featured in a UEFA cup winning team (I think??) but still left them.

His statement may very well be self-serving, and have been influenced by other interests but again that is no surprise. I am happy if it stirs something within the club to affect change. I guess he is engineering a move but that's what players do all the time, or they sign a long contract (like Lampard) to protect themselves into their thrities. I had to laugh that the example of Flamini was once against raised as an example of mercenary footballers, Flamini being the mercenary who was just about to be sold to Birmingham City, who played his heart out when playing at left back on our way to the European Cup final. Then it was him, not the club, who was in a bargaining position - and we slag him off! :roll:

I would have been prepared to sell van Persie a couple of years ago, but then if the assumption of him being sold is made, the asumption would also have to be that an equal replacement would have been bought, which as we know isn't happening at the moment, so we can't look back with hindsight to see what would have been best. What we can say is that the policy of Arsenal football club to concentrate on repaying the stadium has only as yet benefited the directors who made a fortune selling out to Kroenke, on the back of an asset being paid for by the fans, and the selling of top playing assets. One thing that should be noted is that these "marquee" players are just about running out with van Persie. So, what next?

I feel that van Persie has to look after himself, even if it does leave a sour taste. I am not emotionally invested in van Persie, so if he goes, he goes. The thing that sticks in the throat is that upon his departure, we will be weaker, and that is down to the club's policies, not van Persie's decisions.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

RVP has been the only world class striker we have had at the club since 2006. Now after long spells out with Injury he is leaving the club because he knows we wont win anything.
You cant defend AFC at the moment as we are not bringing in the talent needed to succeed. Season is over before it begins and I believe RVP is not leaving because of money but because he knows the team will fail to meet the high standards we demand.
Kronk and the board have stitched the club up. It very easy to see that.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

supergeorgegraham wrote:RVP has been the only world class striker we have had at the club since 2006. Now after long spells out with Injury he is leaving the club because he knows we wont win anything.
You cant defend AFC at the moment as we are not bringing in the talent needed to succeed. Season is over before it begins and I believe RVP is not leaving because of money but because he knows the team will fail to meet the high standards we demand.
Kronk and the board have stitched the club up. It very easy to see that.

Well he needs to get over himself then, as someone pointed out on another board, had it not been for the clubs direction then he would not have had the chance to play in this team and become this.superstar, same as Cesc.

Had it not been for the clubs direction then he wouldn't have left Barcelona and become a.star in our first team.

Its an excellent point and you can't defend them for coming out with such bulshit, had Wengers bought established players then who knows what they might have been.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

augie wrote:

Offtopic for a second but Augie you need to get yourself down to the cannonballs, you're receiving a right rimming :shock:

Rohan

Post by Rohan »

Eboue-Why? wrote: Exactly, it is possible to think both but I'm particularly pissed off with Van Persie because he's talking as if he's carried the club for the last few years when the facts are plain to see. Robin, you've made it clear that you don't want to be here anymore so close the door on your way out there's a good boy
Agree. Robin is coming across like Nasri who jumped the ship as soon as better opportunity shows up in front of the door.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

LDB wrote:
augie wrote:

Offtopic for a second but Augie you need to get yourself down to the cannonballs, you're receiving a right rimming :shock:

Off topic LDB but...........green don't suit you.

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :box: :box: