Van Persie saga, officially not extending contract.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbank123

Re: Will RVP play for Arsenal again??

Post by northbank123 »

I would be amazed if Arsenal made him see out his contract, they're not going to take a £25-30m hit for one season, particularly looking at how poorly the "one more season" routine worked with Fabregas.

I have been struggling to think of who he'll go to though. Don't see Madrid wanting to pay that money considering the options they have and the way they play, and with Barca it depends largely on who else they decide to pursue (fuck knows I don't want to read every day about how Xavi/Pique/Valdes/any Barcelona representative thinks he would fit in there), but given the money spent on Sanchez last year and Villa coming back next year I'd be surprised if he was their marquee signing. City are the obvious choice really, especially if Tevez and/or Balotelli leave, but I don't see United willing to stump up that money and surely the club wouldn't sell him there? Juventus are somehow front-runners but would he really go to play in a far inferior league for a team that are nearly as far away from the cream of the crop in Europe as we are?

Seems an odd way to look at things with such a quality player but with his injury record and being nearly 29 I can see the few clubs able to make a serious bid being somewhat reticent to part with the money we would demand.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Especially if he has a poor Euros, no doubt the top clubs will all be chasing the young player who impresses most at the tournament.

augie

Post by augie »

Personally I dont think that there is a snowballs chance in hell that he will be with us on sept 1st and if he is still with us having failed to sign a new deal then I will be as pissed as hell :evil:

I also will be absolutely amazed if he ends up at juve but I do believe that they will make a big sell about their ambitions and they will actually back up their talk with quality signings. For all the bad rep that serie a rightly gets, it also shouldnt be forgotten that juve have some quality players there (buffon and chellini to name just two) so if they do back up their talk by adding some more quality then the chances are that they will have a better team than us next season - jeez the more I think about this the more I am convincing myself that juve are a realistic possibility for rvp :oops: :(

Saying all that I do believe that real madrid will be his most likely destination - they have won their first league for a few years and will launch a serious bid for champs league next season plus we all know that the way madrid work is that they need to make a marquis signing every season :roll: The portugese c**t has won the power battle with his superiors in madrid and will be free to do what he likes and he will want to sign a top player and esp one that he will know from his time in england. I think that he has shown that he is willing to offload higuain and he wont do that without buying another striker imo

UTU The Arsenal

Post by UTU The Arsenal »

Kronke will Cash IN No Danger :censored:

RVP is Gone and good luck to him. The Arsenal will be a Feeder Club untill there is a change in Ownership and Management :cussing:

ThomasMitchell

Post by ThomasMitchell »

I think he will still be at the Club. Not because the Club have convinced him to stay with their vision of the future or an impressive pay deal, but more to do with the fact that Wenger knows that to lose him will be the final nail in his coffin with many fans. If Van Persie has any sense he will go. He only has a limited period of time left in his career. He has massively under achieved at Arsenal (or should I say Arsenal has massively underachieved and he has been one of the victims of that). He deserves some success, he deserves to play with top quality players (not the second raters that litter our team), he deserves to compete on the biggest stages and win the biggest prizes in football. He will get none of that with Arsenal. He should go and if he does, hopefully it will be another sign of the end of the Wenger era - that is the best we can now hope for.

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

He will sign a new contract for Arsenal and see out his career

ThomasMitchell

Post by ThomasMitchell »

SammyDroppedHisShorts wrote:He will sign a new contract for Arsenal and see out his career
Of course we all want him to stay, but if he does one seriously has to question his ambition.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

SammyDroppedHisShorts wrote:He will sign a new contract for Arsenal and see out his career

My sentiments exactly.
Being made club captain, and also he would remember how the club stood by him during THOSE allegations made against him back in Holland. Plus the fact he has given us one great season in eight, mainly due to injuries, he surely understands that HE owes Arsenal FC.
I think that he is pushing for the best possible contract from us.
Call me deluded, but this is my gut instinct.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Why would he stay? To win fuck all and get paid £100k a week less.There is loyalty and there's stupidity

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

donaldo wrote:Why would he stay? To win fuck all and get paid £100k a week less.There is loyalty and there's stupidity

Bah, humbug Donaldo. You really have lost faith in modern football players.
I bet you a pint, or a half if you're that way inclined that he will stay
:D

frankbutcher

Post by frankbutcher »

My personal view is that he will stay because there will be no-one to take him. He won't move within England. That leaves Barca (NO) Real Madrid (Don't see them splashing £25m on a 30 year old on a 4-5 year contract), Juve (Can't see the family wanting to move there). Apart from that, I don't see any willing buyers. RVP is currently trying to leverage his position to get in signings. That won't happen either. I think he will stay though. I've changed my mind from a few weeks ago btw.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

frankbutcher wrote:My personal view is that he will stay because there will be no-one to take him. He won't move within England. That leaves Barca (NO) Real Madrid (Don't see them splashing £25m on a 30 year old on a 4-5 year contract), Juve (Can't see the family wanting to move there). Apart from that, I don't see any willing buyers. RVP is currently trying to leverage his position to get in signings. That won't happen either. I think he will stay though. I've changed my mind from a few weeks ago btw.
Cant agree Frank.Why wont he move to an English club? City will get rid of Ballotelli and Tevez(£400k a week off their wage bill and give RVP £250k a week).RVP has seen Nasri and Clichy pick up title winners medals in their first season......................and finally Kroenke will not turn down a bid of £25m

RocastleRock

Post by RocastleRock »

I'm surprised people still think he will stay. It breaks my heart but I think he's off.

In Ivan's recent interview i'm sure he said 'we have sat down together and come to a decision that will be announced after the euro's'... Surely if he's staying they would just end the speculation and say he's staying!..

Can't bring myself to watch the dutch.. :cry:

I hope i'm wrong.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

frankbutcher wrote:My personal view is that he will stay because there will be no-one to take him. He won't move within England. That leaves Barca (NO) Real Madrid (Don't see them splashing £25m on a 30 year old on a 4-5 year contract), Juve (Can't see the family wanting to move there). Apart from that, I don't see any willing buyers. RVP is currently trying to leverage his position to get in signings. That won't happen either. I think he will stay though. I've changed my mind from a few weeks ago btw.

Agree with this, his own dad has stated that he won't go to another English club so you have to take that more than the latest headline in the Mail or Sun.

skizz_b

Post by skizz_b »

frankbutcher wrote:My personal view is that he will stay because there will be no-one to take him.
This. Don't think he will be staying out of choice.