Des Kelly in the Mail

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Dan_85

Re: Des Kelly in the Mail

Post by Dan_85 »

With all these endless articles that tell us to "trust Wenger", "he's the man" etc etc, it never fails to amaze me how they can't see his faults that are totally unconnected to boardroom politics or the running of the club.

Kroenke, Usmanov, Gazidis, Hill Wood or whoever owns & runs the club aren't gonna get Wenger to adapt a formation to beat an tough opposition, coach a defence or make game-changing substitutions. Why can't they strip away the whole boardroom politics, pretend that doesn't exist & see with their own eyes that tactically Wenger is horrifically average.

Peeman

Post by Peeman »

Dan_85 wrote:With all these endless articles that tell us to "trust Wenger", "he's the man" etc etc, it never fails to amaze me how they can't see his faults that are totally unconnected to boardroom politics or the running of the club.

Kroenke, Usmanov, Gazidis, Hill Wood or whoever owns & runs the club aren't gonna get Wenger to adapt a formation to beat an tough opposition, coach a defence or make game-changing substitutions. Why can't they strip away the whole boardroom politics, pretend that doesn't exist & see with their own eyes that tactically Wenger is horrifically average.
Didn't he take the Ox off against Manure in January :banghead:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ng-1134934

Now im more inclined to go with this article

Just having a look on twitter seems all des kellys journalist buddies agree with him including John Cross
Last edited by mcdowell42 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vinny1967

Post by Vinny1967 »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:what do you mean by loyalty vinny?

he earns 6mil a year to do a pretty poor job, and he gets worshipped by the flock in the process. theres no reason for him to leave, is there?
The guy was courted and head hunted for years Henry and still stayed at Arsenal. He could have gone elsewhere a few times. Am not saying the guy is not without his faults Henry but I do believe he is doing what he thinks is right by Arsenal, whereas the others mentioned in the article are in it for money. Maybe I'm deluded mate but it's what I believe. I also can see him seeing out his contract and won't want to leave on a whimper. We shall see.

:cheers:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Vinny1967 wrote:

he earns 6mil a year to do a pretty poor job, and he gets worshipped by the flock in the process. theres no reason for him to leave, is there?
The guy was courted and head hunted for years Henry and still stayed at Arsenal. He could have gone elsewhere a few times. Am not saying the guy is not without his faults Henry but I do believe he is doing what he thinks is right by Arsenal, whereas the others mentioned in the article are in it for money. Maybe I'm deluded mate but it's what I believe. I also can see him seeing out his contract and won't want to leave on a whimper. We shall see.

No maybe mate ( :wink: ).

I agree in that he will see out his contract, but that he will also leave with a whimper...with fond memories from the fans for serving up the kind of football that we are unlikely to ever see again...but nevertheless a whimper.

Can't see a hollywood ending to this one. :cry: :cry:

Vinny1967

Post by Vinny1967 »

arseofacrow wrote:
Vinny1967 wrote:

No maybe mate ( :wink: ).

I agree in that he will see out his contract, but that he will also leave with a whimper...with fond memories from the fans for serving up the kind of football that we are unlikely to ever see again...but nevertheless a whimper.

Can't see a hollywood ending to this one. :cry: :cry:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :cry:

I think the board is under pressure from different sources,
The Fans discontent. They cannot be immune to the feelings of the fans.
The Press. The negative press and the criticism cannot be under estimated imo. Last Summer's debacle was gross mismanagement and everyone knows it. RVP statement criticisng the club just adds to it.
Usmanov. Timing of his letter was perfect.

I think we will see a reaction and am hopeful of same.

Glass half full mate :lol: :wink:

:barscarf:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

@left foot legend- explain your position and/or reasoning instead of posting unintelligent jibes. your part of the reason why we don't take akb's seriously
:roll: oh i get it, this is playground stuff now, or is it grooming :| , i call you semi-intelligent so your retort is "unintelligent jibes" :? .

Firstly....."WE"....what is this WE, what are you some sort of clan :lol: "Warriors come out to PLAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!"

Just to let you know i'm married fella and although this may seem like foreplay to you........it isn't.

I am on neither side, not an akb or an extremist, why should my opinion have to be stereotype?

I agree with some points in the article as I did with some points in another article that has just been posted on here and I first saw linked on arseblog (I also agree with some of the views on arseblog but disagree with others).

I just don't agree with extreme views nor any hate directed at wenger, I do think we need change and a change in management to freshen things up and I have thought this way since 2008 so I don't think I could enter the AKB "clan" on those grounds.

I don't think wenger should be burnt at the stake either as seems the view of quite a few on here, I do get angry watching the likes of song playing for arsenal ala denilson (though not anymore), squid, vela, bendy, etc etc. and I was absolutely mortified when we lost the mancs early last season but we did get to third so I have to weigh it up I guess.

IF we get a new manager is he going to be given a war chest to make the required overhaul to make the next step and challenge for the PL and CL? I doubt it I really do, if the oligarch is allowed input would he provide said war chest? Fucked if I know and nor does anyone else.

If you really want someone to take over let it be a sheikh who hates the shittty sheikh and in that way we would definitely compete if only as a pawn on a chess board, would that appease you?

The wages structure needs to be sorted that is for sure, we have too many average/injured players on fantastic wages and this is bleeding the club dry and that is down to wenger but I am sure he did it with the best intentions and in reality the players have let him down badly.

Who would have thought a guy that came into the team when RVP had broken a toe nail, scored 11 goals and looked half decent would suddenly regress into the one of the worse players I've seen play for Arsenal.

Likewise Diaby, his injury record is insane and again I assume Wenger thought the guy could have a decent impact on the team (I personally think he is very talented but also frustrating and should have gone on to be a great player).

He has also had very bad luck with wilshere, he is one the most talented midfielders in the PL and would have made a huge difference to us last season, I don't think Wenger can take the blame for his injury, if a player keeps telling the boss hes fit to play then thats it, Wilshere is headstrong (and not that bright) and had he been honest with the way he felt physically then this situation he is in now might never have materialised.

In essence I think we need a GK (i don't rate ches that highly), a world class CB (TV aint all that and mert turns like a submarine), a world class DM, a LB (santos thinks hes a striker and gibbs is injury prone), another Proper winger (let theo and gervinho go), and now another striker, Dzecko if RVP is going to shitty?

Most of my posts are in the form of playing devils advocate, if that annoys you then..........I am sure you guessed it 8) :lol:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

lflg....you forgot to mention the shit jokes :lol: :wink:

Anyway, have to agree ( :twisted: ) with your post, the situation as it stands, what's needed, etc...I agree that we don't have to polarize everything into one extreme or the other. The problem is that not a high enough percentage of the fanbase are of the opinion that significant change (both managerial and at board level) is required.

So, as you were.

8)

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

looks like we're the ones paying for his loyalty now, he can take no damage from some parts of the media and its supposedly just a mere boardroom issue thats to blame for years of underachieving. I expected journalism not to be so one sided and desperate to find someone to attack ,out of the clueless morons that run our club he decided to choose the fans. The same fans that fork out more than any other in the country no less. :roll:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

arseofacrow wrote: The problem is that not a high enough percentage of the fanbase are of the opinion that significant change (both managerial and at board level) is required.
i.e. not enough people share your view?

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

northbank123 wrote:
arseofacrow wrote: The problem is that not a high enough percentage of the fanbase are of the opinion that significant change (both managerial and at board level) is required.
i.e. not enough people share your view?
Yes, and that the majority opinion on here doesn't seem to be reflective of the majority Arsenal supporting viewpoint.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

augie wrote:A fcuking pompous p***k if ever I saw one and it is a feeling that I portrayed in my comment (not in those exact words of course) and believe me I hate commenting on pieces like this or tweeting/emailing the likes of sky :roll: :oops:
Where the fcuk does this c**t get off calling us Gooners cretins ? What the fcuk makes him more qualified to judge football than any of us ? The piece of shyte is not a journalist or a man he is an utter c**t end of :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^ with a slight adjustment :wink:

FrenchGun

Post by FrenchGun »

May I say that the Wenger asking for the France job story is total BS. Noel Le Graet, director of the FFF, asked Didier Deschamps, who declined. There were talks of Zidane at some moment but it's quite obvious he's far from ready to be a coach. At the moment the FFF are trying to find a solution internally.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

FrenchGun wrote:May I say that the Wenger asking for the France job story is total BS. Noel Le Graet, director of the FFF, asked Didier Deschamps, who declined. There were talks of Zidane at some moment but it's quite obvious he's far from ready to be a coach. At the moment the FFF are trying to find a solution internally.
That's that sorted then

:lol: 8)

FrenchGun

Post by FrenchGun »

Concerning the article, I'm confused.

I thought that the general opinion was that Wenger and the board were incompetent. I thought that the RvP saga was going to shake some fondations. But at the moment, most of the articles I read in journos or blogs slag RvP and defend Wenger to death. "It's not wenger's fault, it's the players that are greedy, city that are too rich, the fans that are too fickle..." Personnally I give up. I'm chosing to not use unecessary energy trying to explain the obvious. I mean, when you're with someone who agrees there's a problem but blames it on the whole world except him, it speaks volumes...
I'll wait for the shit to hit the fan (seeing 7 years without trophy, and seeing the direction we're taking, I don't see any other final issue than the shit hitting the fan), and like an old gimp I will say "I told you so!"

Oh yes, about the article...

Insulting fellow gooners, the author of this article is just a Wum. Not worth of any consideration...