Even Tony Adams reckons we're a feeder club

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DarylAFC

Re: Even Tony Adams reckons we're a feeder club

Post by DarylAFC »

Clash wrote:I think Wenger missed a trick by not having some of our ex-players around the club. Liverpool did it in the past with the boot room etc. Its good that Bould is in there now but I do think Adams and a few others could have made some contribition before now. Especially when there was a lack of experience on the pitch

Spurs do it too. The big difference is their legendary players are either too old or too dead. They've only got dross like Clive Allen, Tim Sherwood and Les Ferdinand to call upon.

We could have had the likes of Bergkamp, Vieira, Dixon, keown, Winterburn, Adams, Bould and Wrighty in and around the dressing room or at the club in some capacity encouraging the players and giving advice if Wenger wasnt so domineering. Would the likes of Song have been so compacent if those characters were about? And would we have understimated teams like QPR and Wigan so often?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Agreed though, would've been good to see the old guard give Wenger some "advice" and keep pricks like song in check.

stevefox7

Post by stevefox7 »

Have to admit I was watching our recent CL game v Montpellier on Sky and Tony seemed very very bitter for some reason... "lucky defending", "untested" This is why its better some ledgends just go out to grass and enjoy their retirement

AFCjames

Post by AFCjames »

Tony hits the nail on the head in this interview.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Clash wrote:I think Wenger missed a trick by not having some of our ex-players around the club. Liverpool did it in the past with the boot room etc. Its good that Bould is in there now but I do think Adams and a few others could have made some contribition before now. Especially when there was a lack of experience on the pitch

Spurs do it too. The big difference is their legendary players are either too old or too dead. They've only got dross like Clive Allen, Tim Sherwood and Les Ferdinand to call upon.

We could have had the likes of Bergkamp, Vieira, Dixon, keown, Winterburn, Adams, Bould and Wrighty in and around the dressing room or at the club in some capacity encouraging the players and giving advice if Wenger wasnt so domineering. Would the likes of Song have been so compacent if those characters were about? And would we have understimated teams like QPR and Wigan so often?
Bergkamp is assistant manager at Ajax, Vieira has a pretty wide-ranging media-centric ambassador role at City, Adams has been trying to foster a doomed management career for the last decade, Dixon and Keown have done pretty well for themselves with punditry careers and Wrighty has done a whole host of media work and Winterburn spends his whole year preparing himself to kick the shit out of Tim Sherwood and co at the Masters.

Nice sentiment but I wouldn't assume that any of those legends would want to waste their time standing round in a non-coaching role preaching to jumped up kids who have no grounding and little desire. If indeed Bouldy did have Song by the throat after only a few weeks with the first team imagine if we had TA5, Keown, Winterburn and Vieira involved: we wouldn't be able to field a full squad by November! Although the image of TA5 lifting that rat Arshavin clean off the ground by the scruff off his collar would be priceless.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

northbank123 wrote:

Bergkamp is assistant manager at Ajax, Vieira has a pretty wide-ranging media-centric ambassador role at City, Adams has been trying to foster a doomed management career for the last decade, Dixon and Keown have done pretty well for themselves with punditry careers and Wrighty has done a whole host of media work and Winterburn spends his whole year preparing himself to kick the shit out of Tim Sherwood and co at the Masters.

Nice sentiment but I wouldn't assume that any of those legends would want to waste their time standing round in a non-coaching role preaching to jumped up kids who have no grounding and little desire. If indeed Bouldy did have Song by the throat after only a few weeks with the first team imagine if we had TA5, Keown, Winterburn and Vieira involved: we wouldn't be able to field a full squad by November! Although the image of TA5 lifting that rat Arshavin clean off the ground by the scruff off his collar would be priceless.

Didn't Keown once say that Wenger only had to pick up the phone and he'd be back working at Arsenal in a shot? Adams has said similar things many times.

Viera is a no hope, he will always follow the money and his own ego. Winterburn as far as I'm aware has shown little interest in working as a coach.

silus

Post by silus »

watching him on goals on sunday.

could listen to him all day, very interesting to hear the differences between GG and AW management styles.

you can see he's very passionate about football, Arsenal and knows his stuff regarding defending but not sure about him as a manager....he seems a little....errr....mental.

still love him though....a proper legend.

North-Bank-1987

Post by North-Bank-1987 »

I would love to see him back at the club with the possibility of one day managing us, what he lacks in tactical nous he makes up for in passion/determination. I also think it would be great to listen to his interviews better than all the usual handbrake bull :censored:

silus

Post by silus »

North-Bank-1987 wrote:I would love to see him back at the club with the possibility of one day managing us, what he lacks in tactical nous he makes up for in passion/determination. I also think it would be great to listen to his interviews better than all the usual handbrake bull :censored:
the interviews would be fucking hilarious...would make Holloway look sane :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

LDB wrote:
northbank123 wrote:

Didn't Keown once say that Wenger only had to pick up the phone and he'd be back working at Arsenal in a shot? Adams has said similar things many times.

Viera is a no hope, he will always follow the money and his own ego. Winterburn as far as I'm aware has shown little interest in working as a coach.
But there's a difference between a coaching role and a general boot-room involvement or whatever was being suggested above.
Yeah but what I'm saying was there's adiffere

chyren1

Post by chyren1 »

Met him last night,
He was an absolute gentleman :barscarf:
Thank you Monsieur Adams

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

chyren1 wrote:Met him last night,
He was an absolute gentleman :barscarf: