Reading in the "whatever its called this year cup"

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Chippy

Reading in the "whatever its called this year cup"

Post by Chippy »

Our one chance for silverware (if you don't count the fourth place cup :roll:)?

DarylAFC

Re: Reading in the "whatever its called this year cup"

Post by DarylAFC »

I genuinely dont care if we win the mickey mouse cup or not :?

Be good to win it and have a day at Wembley but, I really dont care.

We should beat Reading. After todays performance I;d say another lucky 1-0

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

Actually looking forward to the trip, but expecting another poor, lacklustre performance. Think we might just be able to scrape a result.

2-1.

mattyb

Post by mattyb »

After todays performance, I think we will struggle! ... still will be there on Tuesday ...hope we find our goal :barscarf: scoring feet ...

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Dan_85 wrote:Actually looking forward to the trip, but expecting another poor, lacklustre performance. Think we might just be able to scrape a result.

2-1.
Yeah with the cheap tickets looks like a good trip, unfortunately nobody's driving from near me so train makes it unworkable.

SurreyGooner

Post by SurreyGooner »

Got a week off work so will be there from early on :barscarf: looking forward to it

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Reading win.

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

Looking forward to this, it is some piss take that it's easier for me to go to Reading away than Arsenal home games and I live in South London :banghead: means a nice short trip though.

Fancy us to beat them, and if we were to beat them (not counting any chickens) then the draw looks decent, with City out, one of United/Chelsea out and Spurs having a tough away game...

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Chippy wrote:Our one chance for silverware (if you don't count the fourth place cup :roll:)?
Agree and that's why suddenly I see this game taking on greater importance ...our only (small) chance. On the Sunday Supplement on Sky Henry Winter (I think) said he has never seen the 4th Place Trophy.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

This is becoming the most important cup for us, as I agree it's the only one we've got a chance of winning, unless we're knocked out of the Chumpions Snooze-a-thon in which case we've half a chance of playing a decent side in the latter stages of the FA Cup

We're already out of the PL, have less chance of winning the CL than Schalke (who have no chance), and so its the two domestics and Arsene's virtual cup to play for before November's arrived

I'm more bothered about this game than any of the remaining CL Group games. If anyone sneers at a day at Wembley and prefers the honour of finishing 4th rather than winning something, then it just confirms all the reasons why I don't miss being surrounded by the 'modern fans' at our shiny bowl

ElliotGooner

Post by ElliotGooner »

Martinez
Jenkinson-Koscielny-Djourou-Miquel
Coquelin-Frimpong
Walcott-Arshavin-Gnarby
Chamakh

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

ElliotGooner wrote:Martinez
Coquelin-Frimpong
Walcott-Arshavin-Gnarby
Chamakh
a line-up that truly inspires fear,

not into the opposition mind you

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

ElliotGooner wrote:Martinez
Coquelin-Frimpong
Walcott-Arshavin-Gnarby
Chamakh
I'd settle for that.

Not so sure he'll opt for Chamakh up front though. I really do think he's written him off. Wouldn't be surprised to see him push Walcott up there and play another of the youngsters in midfield instead

burg hohenzollern

Post by burg hohenzollern »

Reluctantly, I would settle for this as a trophy. Not good enough to win the PL, or the Champs League. Won't win the F.A cup as our manager believes it interferes too much with qualifying for 4th, hence it's the only realistic chance of something. If we did win it at least it would be SOMETHING to cheer about. I remember 20 years ago when I was sitting right behind the goal when Steve Morrow netted the winner - I wanted them to win the trophy that day so it would be hypocritical to say we don't now.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Anyone who has got young kids that support Arsenal should ask them the question whether they'd prefer to win the League Cup or the Arsene Wenger Virtual Fourth Placed Trophy (AWVFPT).

I told my 12 year old son earlier about this new 'fifth trophy' that we're competing for. His response - "I just want us to win anything Dad. I can't believe Wenger said that. Anyway, what's the point when we always lose to Barcelona or Man United"

Any Gooners out there that would list their fondest memory as lifting the AWVFPT ?