Arsenal v Montpellier

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Arsenal v Montpellier

Post by augie »

highburyJD wrote:People who don't go, always want to be thought of as equal to those who do

in the spirit of dear departed Baba (and the rumoured fave for the Chelski job)
FACT: nobody who actually follows Arsenal away, wants us knocked out of Europe

Of course these are the real Arsenal fans arent they ? These are the people who chant "one arsene wenker" at almost every away game and hold up banners proclaiming that nobody had heard of us prior to wenger arriving :roll: Of course this was done at the end of a 90mins that had seen manure inflict the biggest defeat on us since the club was formed :oops: :oops:

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Robin_L wrote:
MK Gould wrote:
Robin_L wrote:Would prefer an Olympiacos result in Schalke as it gives us more of a shot at 1st place but as someone rightly pointed out, we're in trouble anyway if we get a Juventus or a Real Madrid, so claiming top spot guarantees nothing as it is. Probably best to try and wrap it up now and send the kids on their annual trip to Greece.
So which is it..... Do you want an "Olympiacos result in Schalke as it gives us more of a shot at 1st place".....or "best to try and wrap it up now and send the kids on their annual trip to Greece"? I often change my mind, but rarely in the same post 8) :D ?
Lol fair point. Think it's best just to qualify now and get it wrapped up. I know we got done 1-0 and 3-1 in our last two trips to face Olympiakos, can't remember how we did against Panathinaikos going back a few years further back. We're unlikely to win in Greece so it's somewhat pressing that we win against an out-of-form Montpellier :rubchin:
Surely if we win and the other game is a draw that would be the best result, because it would put us ahead in the group and give us a chance of qualifying top, whilst the Greeks would need to beat us by 2 clear goals in the last game to knock us out on the head to head record. If we beat Montpellier by a few then the Greeks might even need to beat us by 3 clear goals if we score out there....

....at least that's how I think it works :D

The 3-1 defeat last year in Athens doesn't fill me with confidence that we'll get anything in Athens as if we qualify tonight it'll be the capital 1 cup team out there.

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

augie wrote:
highburyJD wrote:People who don't go, always want to be thought of as equal to those who do

Of course these are the real Arsenal fans arent they ? These are the people who chant "one arsene wenker" at almost every away game and hold up banners proclaiming that nobody had heard of us prior to wenger arriving :roll: Of course this was done at the end of a 90mins that had seen manure inflict the biggest defeat on us since the club was formed :oops: :oops:
Yes, those that sung as we got battered by ManUre are real fans
Yes, those that want us knocked out of competitions are part-timers

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Uh-oh... :rubchin:

:moderator: SUPERFAN ALERT :moderator:

Well, JD old bean, I've been to literally hundreds of games over a 20 year period (including every home game in 90-91 and dozens of aways in Engerland and Europe too). At my peak I was averaging 10 to 14 games a season, paying for flights, trains, tube, accomodation, food, beer etc. I've put my time and my wallet where my mouth is. I probably could have got a mortgage on a second home with what I've spent following Arsenal.

But I don't think for one single minute that this makes me more of a genuine supporter than someone that's been to less games.

I don't go as regularly nowdays because of work and family commitments but does that make me less of a supporter than you? With less "right" to an opinion about the club I have spent literally thousands following? Does that make me less "equal" to you?

The fuck it does, mate.

TheCook

Post by TheCook »

Oh God.

Not again

piresistible

Post by piresistible »

highburyJD wrote:
augie wrote:

Yes, those that sung as we got battered by ManUre are real fans
Yes, those that want us knocked out of competitions are part-timers
I agree there is a fine line between supporting your club through thick and thin and to what Le Prof is doing...in hindsight we are 9 points adrift of citeh and 5 adrift of the chavs who were supposed to run away with the title...i think if wenger had spent all this money he'd have been lynched...just think we need to be a bit neutral here.

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

DB10GOONER wrote:

Well, JD old bean, I've been to literally hundreds of games over a 20 year period (including every home game in 90-91 and dozens of aways in Engerland and Europe too). At my peak I was averaging 10 to 14 games a season, paying for flights, trains, tube, accomodation, food, beer etc. I've put my time and my wallet where my mouth is. I probably could have got a mortgage on a second home with what I've spent following Arsenal.

But I don't think for one single minute that this makes me more of a genuine supporter than someone that's been to less games.

I don't go as regularly nowdays because of work and family commitments but does that make me less of a supporter than you? With less "right" to an opinion about the club I have spent literally thousands following? Does that make me less "equal" to you?

The fuck it does, mate.
are you saying you want us knocked out of Europe...?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

highburyJD wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

The fuck it does, mate.
are you saying you want us knocked out of Europe...?
No. Deffo not. I never "want" us to lose any game. But to be honest, I wouldn't be massively upset if we were knocked out. To me the CL is a bloated, boring competition that has been seriously devalued by allowing 3rd and 4th place teams in. I certainly don't want us knocked out but when we are inevitably knocked out in the next round I'll be just a bit "meh" about it. I'm kind of desensitised to it after years of the same old same old.

I genuinely enjoy the FA Cup more. :|

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

so whats your post about - you're defending the rights of people who want us to lose?

I think my point is uncontroversial, don't believe it would be possible to sustain that level of negativity and continue attending.
How could you travel with loads of fellow Gooners and even if you had some ambivalence
Sit WANTING them to be gutted by a defeat?
Impossible to be such a sad miseryguts and continue attending games.

I'm not saying the people who don't go to games are lesser human beings, evil, stupid or nazis
(all things other individuals and groups are hilariously called on here)

I want us in Europe so I can go - does that make ME less of a fan...?
WTF is the argument here? I believe fans of a football team (derived from fanatic) should want their team to win.
It's hardly out there stuff.

TheCook

Post by TheCook »

I think the overall point is that the fanbase generally are bored of the Champions League ; bimbling around in the group stage and then knocked out by the first decent team we meet has sucked the life out of most of us.

But there is a difference between being bored by a certain competition and actively wanting us to get eliminated ; they can be mutually exclusive.

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

I'm desperate for us to win tonight,
and I'll be desperate for us to beat whoever we draw if we go through

I'm psyched for some possible amazing nights football
red shirts lined up and CL music blazing at Parkhead, the Mestalla, Allianz Arena, SanSiro, La Rosaleda or the Bernabeu
For our players to go toe-to-toe with some awesome opposition - thats what football is all about.
I want to see our young players like Jack, Feo, Szcz, LeCoq and Ox prove themselves against superstars
want to see Santi and Tets beat players picked ahead of them for the NT
I want to see Giroud and Podolski prov doubters wrong, show they deserve to be at the top level

there's nothing meh about that...

IMO people on here have just been spoilt
by the amazing consistency a great manager has delivered for us
Doubt there's another team in the competition who's fans have a don't care attitude to the CL

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

TheCook wrote:I think the overall point is that the fanbase generally are bored of the Champions League ; bimbling around in the group stage and then knocked out by the first decent team we meet has sucked the life out of most of us.

But there is a difference between being bored by a certain competition and actively wanting us to get eliminated ; they can be mutually exclusive.
Agree absolutely. I just can't get that excited about the CL anymore. I try. But I just can't. Which is a real shame I reckon. But this is what modern Arsenal have done to me... :(

Of course subhuman shit like the chavs winning it has impacted on that too. Impacted like a bowel after a gunshot wound. :|

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

if RVP had scored that 4th at the Grove I think everyone would have been pretty excited

Deise Gooner

Post by Deise Gooner »

highburyJD wrote:if RVP had scored that 4th at the Grove I think everyone would have been pretty excited
No shit Sherlock but you still fail to grasp the point DB10 and Cook are making. Whats the point of pinning our hopes on qualifying for a tournament that we havent seriously challenged in in 6 years. the one time we got to a semi we got hammered by United at home in the 2nd leg.

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

in the last 6 years we've lost finals, semis and quarters
in your world WTF is challenging Watson?