Bradford Beer Travel & Stuff

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SaltaireBantam

Bradford Beer Travel & Stuff

Post by SaltaireBantam »

Seems like only yesterday, our wanky 1980's scoreboard read "City 2 - Arsenal 1", I was transfixed, I watched that scoreboard more than the game. I thought about that moment a few years later when I looked at the same bleedin scoreboard, City 0 - Accrington 3. Honestly it's true.......friggin Accy. :(

You will all have an excellent view, the Midland Road stand is pitched just right and with good leg room, commonly accepted to be the best place to sit, the Main Stand has FA legroom. The best bit though is, if you are in the mood, you can literally get the whole stand bouncing up and down........... like you are Fenerbahce or summut. :D

To have good time, forget Bradford centre, it's now practically deserted and resembles downtown Kabul. Likewise the demographic shift has left the ground isolated, there are no decent pubs/bars nearby anymore, the nearest is the Bradford Arms on Manningham Lane (Would be wise not go there) or a few dives on Lumb Lane, 10 minutes walk from the ground.

If you are coming into Leeds on the train for the connection, then stay there, you will have choice of umpteen good pubs/bars within 5 minutes of the station and the journey to Bradford is very short, there is no border the places are co-joined.

Coming by car then I'd carry right on the ring road (6037) and park in Shipley/Saltaire, this'll mean leaving Bradford 20 mins later but worth it IMO for a good time and drink. Saltaire has 3 good bars within minutes of eachother, Titus bar, Boathouse and this, Fanny's http://www.fannysalehouse.com/ and it's a good place to enjoy yourselves. You can walk from Saltaire to Shipley station for the very short trip to Frizinghall (10 min walk to ground) but tbh there's little point, a taxi from the bar to the ground is only going to be a tenner.

Enjoy yourselves.

Herd

Re: Bradford Beer & Stuff

Post by Herd »

mmm I remember that pub ,went in there b4 the game one saturday when we played u ,was Ok before the game and many Arsenal in there ,parked the motor up a little cobble road next to the pub ,seemed handy ground was a few mins up the road on the right down the hill.
Not only did i think we lose but you cuntz ran out of chicken balti pies ,what a liberty !
After the game a few locals giving grief by the pub but walked in and was welcomed back in the pub by those we drank with before hand ,however 45 mins later a bushwack group appeared and threw a few bottles b4 scuttling off .

skizz_b

Post by skizz_b »

FANNY? :D :lol:

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

SaltaireBantam wrote:Seems like only yesterday, our wanky 1980's scoreboard read "City 2 - Arsenal 1", I was transfixed, I watched that scoreboard more than the game. I thought about that moment a few years later when I looked at the same bleedin scoreboard, City 0 - Accrington 3. Honestly it's true.......friggin Accy. :(

You will all have an excellent view, the Midland Road stand is pitched just right and with good leg room, commonly accepted to be the best place to sit, the Main Stand has FA legroom. The best bit though is, if you are in the mood, you can literally get the whole stand bouncing up and down........... like you are Fenerbahce or summut. :D

To have good time, forget Bradford centre, it's now practically deserted and resembles downtown Kabul. Likewise the demographic shift has left the ground isolated, there are no decent pubs/bars nearby anymore, the nearest is the Bradford Arms on Manningham Lane (Would be wise not go there) or a few dives on Lumb Lane, 10 minutes walk from the ground.

If you are coming into Leeds on the train for the connection, then stay there, you will have choice of umpteen good pubs/bars within 5 minutes of the station and the journey to Bradford is very short, there is no border the places are co-joined.

Coming by car then I'd carry right on the ring road (6037) and park in Shipley/Saltaire, this'll mean leaving Bradford 20 mins later but worth it IMO for a good time and drink. Saltaire has 3 good bars within minutes of eachother, Titus bar, Boathouse and this, Fanny's [url]http://www.fannysalehouse.com/[/url] and it's a good place to enjoy yourselves. You can walk from Saltaire to Shipley station for the very short trip to Frizinghall (10 min walk to ground) but tbh there's little point, a taxi from the bar to the ground is only going to be a tenner.

Enjoy yourselves.

The owners of this place should have put a bloody apostrophe in that website title.... :x

It promised so much with a name like that :( :cry: :cry:

SaltaireBantam

Post by SaltaireBantam »

Nowt wrong with fanny. :? Good selection of local brews in there, if you ask them to water it down for you I am sure they won't mind, they are a friendly bunch. :D Can recommend the Rosie's cider 7.5% :wink:

Ground just about sold out now and the tickets only went on general sale this morning. The corner piece is now being opened (in pic ) due to demand, I think Sky have got the bottom part of it. Be a good atmosphere but with our players dropping like flies (another gone with broken leg last night) I am getting more worried than excited.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

SaltaireBantam wrote:Nowt wrong with fanny. :? Good selection of local brews in there, if you ask them to water it down for you I am sure they won't mind, they are a friendly bunch. :D Can recommend the Rosie's cider 7.5% :wink:

Ground just about sold out now and the tickets only went on general sale this morning. The corner piece is now being opened (in pic ) due to demand, I think Sky have got the bottom part of it. Be a good atmosphere but with our players dropping like flies (another gone with broken leg last night) I am getting more worried than excited.
You didnt see our defence against Reading did you? :wink:

SaltaireBantam

Post by SaltaireBantam »

flash gunner wrote: You didnt see our defence against Reading did you? :wink:
Er, we don't really have a defence at the mo'......... both first choice centre backs are out, Oliver for the season, Davies for months, our right McArdle is playing centre back but his new partner, John Egan (loan from Sunderland) broke his leg last night. On the other hand, if you play Chamakh I think we'll be ok.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SaltaireBantam wrote:
Er, we don't really have a defence at the mo'......... both first choice centre backs are out, Oliver for the season, Davies for months, our right McArdle is playing centre back but his new partner, John Egan (loan from Sunderland) broke his leg last night. On the other hand, if you play Chamakh I think we'll be ok.
I'll just repeat what Flash said;

You didnt see our defence against Reading did you?

:lol: :wink:

gunner_ace

Post by gunner_ace »

SaltaireBantam wrote:
Did you not see the goals the camel herder scored against Reading. Pure Bergkampesque. Na only kidding, hes pure shite.

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

SaltaireBantam wrote: To have good time, forget Bradford centre, it's now practically deserted and resembles downtown Kabul. Likewise the demographic shift has left the ground isolated, there are no decent pubs/bars nearby anymore, the nearest is the Bradford Arms on Manningham Lane (Would be wise not go there) or a few dives on Lumb Lane, 10 minutes walk from the ground..
Is it not just worth drinking in the Turls Green in the city centre? Between the two stations and not that small. That's what one of yours told me??

Cheers for the advice though.

SaltaireBantam

Post by SaltaireBantam »

SWLGooner wrote: Is it not just worth drinking in the Turls Green in the city centre? Between the two stations and not that small. That's what one of yours told me??

Cheers for the advice though.
Drink where you want love, just suggesting a good place with good bars. From the centre to the ground is a 20 minute walk.

The Turls Green is a bog standard Lloyds Bar opposite the Town Hall. 5 mins from there is the City Vaults, a good pub and 2 mins from there the old stylie Shoulder of Mutton. Can't think of any other places worth drinking, the Sparrow on the way to the ground is excellent but it will be totally packed.

Lot has changed since your last visit, the center is depopulated, we are a mini-Detroit, could fill this page with shops and pubs that have closed since 2001, it'll be pretty much deserted apart from red shirted Londoners wandering around dazed like extras from 28 days later.

mattyj3nks

Post by mattyj3nks »

The Lloyds bar would be where a few of us are going and then walk from there to the ground, would be good if we could get a big group of us there!!

Jakeybown

Post by Jakeybown »

mattyj3nks wrote:The Lloyds bar would be where a few of us are going and then walk from there to the ground, would be good if we could get a big group of us there!!

Lloyds bar sounds like a plan, need a pub to use all day where everyone can meet.

Mood1987

Post by Mood1987 »

Yea lloyds sounds good and will be cheap as well

mattyj3nks

Post by mattyj3nks »

Lets make 'The Turls Green' Lloyds bar our place for pre match drinks then!!

Its only a 20 minute walk to the Midland Road stand aswell.

What time are you all planning to get to the pub then??