Wigan Away

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
markyp

Re: Wigan Away

Post by markyp »

MM99 wrote:
g88ner wrote:Important result and I'm delighted by it, but (there's always a but, sorry :lol: ) I can't help thinking we won today DESPITE Wenger's tactical substitutions. :?

Taking Chamberlain off for Ramsey basically removed our biggest threat and gave their left side far less to worry about. Then, soon after that we replaced Podolski for Coquelin, which is fine in isolation but coupled with Ramsey for Ox, it killed our attacking threat altogether, and removed any pace and width as well.

For me, it totally passed the initiative to Wigan and penned us in without any natural way to hit them on the break :?

Just thought it was a bit baffling from Wenger, that's all.

Anyway, we won. I'm happy 8) :lol:
Chamberlain was tiring seeing how he was pretty much doing all the attacking for us in the second half. There was quite a few times when Sagna had two men over on the far side to deal with as Ox hadn't tracked back. MOTM for me but needed to be taken off for fresh legs.

What i would have also liked to see was Walcott taken off and replaced with either Gervinho or Arshavin so we still maintained that attacking threat with a player who had just come on. The initiative was always going to be on Wigan with 5 minutes left so it was no surprise that they were throwing men forward.
are you talking about the same gervinho who plays for us??? :shock:

Rocky Number Seven
Location: North Bank, Turnstile D, Block 7, Row 8, Seat 225 / Essex

Post by Rocky Number Seven »

Was in the row behind. Three or four young lads displayed the banner today compared to a group of older "bigger" boys at Reading. Perhaps a bit too quick to display at final whistle as the players came over and there were a number of supporters who took offence. The lads stood up for themselves dispite abuse and the youngest one took a couple of digs of off one chap who took a beeline for them. Was shameful to be fair but not from the part of the guys displaying and other fans jumped in to disperse.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Rocky Number Seven wrote:Was in the row behind. Three or four young lads displayed the banner today compared to a group of older "bigger" boys at Reading. Perhaps a bit too quick to display at final whistle as the players came over and there were a number of supporters who took offence. The lads stood up for themselves dispite abuse and the youngest one took a couple of digs of off one chap who took a beeline for them. Was shameful to be fair but not from the part of the guys displaying and other fans jumped in to disperse.

Then I hope the club make every effort to find out who this thug was who is clearly against free speech and ban him.
What a hero, going for the smallest, youngest one.

Well played to the guys with the banner(s)

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

To be honest there's rarely a perfect time to show the banner(s), unless we have just been absolutely humiliated like Bradford away then people will criticise the timing.

The banners need to be displayed so fair play to anybody that's contributed towards that happening :barscarf:

richpye

Post by richpye »

With a pitch made for Rugby League and weather too, I'm not sure we were ever going to get much more out of this game. It just wasn't us.

For me though, until the substitutions we were fairly comfortable. We've been making these defensive-minded substitutions for the whole of Wenger's career and it's felt like it's not worked that well so many times, I'm surprised we've persevered with it.
Walcott is never going to be a lone up-front striker, and you could tell Podolski was desperate to get up there and join him which I think would work well.
Anyway, a win's a win, we're above the Spuds at Christmas and not in too bad a position in the league. I can take that.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

the akb forum not so sympathetic:
Patrice wrote:'Beaten' may be a bit of a overstatement but the banner was being removed for undercutting the team on the pitch. I told you other supporters would deal with this. Keep it outside the ground and express your opinion all you like. If your opinion is simply that 'he is a French *word censored*' then you get what whats coming. (In my day he likely would have left with fewer teeth and perhaps a pocket full of piss for his efforts, so in that regard we have come along a bit). These malcontents will be depicted as average Gooners wanting Wenger fired, representing the average supporter and that is not right.

"Apparently, the 16-year-old, whom was holding the 'Wengerout'banner, said, 'because he's a French c**t', when asked why he was holding it."

If so then I hope the young twat learned something about being a Gooner.
http://www.onlinearsenal.com/showthread ... nner/page7

some cuntybollox called "patrice" :oops:

Redsenga1

Post by Redsenga1 »

Rocky Number Seven wrote:Was in the row behind. Three or four young lads displayed the banner today compared to a group of older "bigger" boys at Reading. Perhaps a bit too quick to display at final whistle as the players came over and there were a number of supporters who took offence. The lads stood up for themselves dispite abuse and the youngest one took a couple of digs of off one chap who took a beeline for them. Was shameful to be fair but not from the part of the guys displaying and other fans jumped in to disperse.
Just back from game, Armchair showed his banner, class act....wenger out! Same old same with his choice of subs...happy xmas COYG

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:the akb forum not so sympathetic:
Patrice wrote:'Beaten' may be a bit of a overstatement but the banner was being removed for undercutting the team on the pitch. I told you other supporters would deal with this. Keep it outside the ground and express your opinion all you like. If your opinion is simply that 'he is a French *word censored*' then you get what whats coming. (In my day he likely would have left with fewer teeth and perhaps a pocket full of piss for his efforts, so in that regard we have come along a bit). These malcontents will be depicted as average Gooners wanting Wenger fired, representing the average supporter and that is not right.

"Apparently, the 16-year-old, whom was holding the 'Wengerout'banner, said, 'because he's a French c**t', when asked why he was holding it."

If so then I hope the young twat learned something about being a Gooner.
http://www.onlinearsenal.com/showthread ... nner/page7

some cuntybollox called "patrice" :oops:
Just read it - what a total *word censored*. What is it with some of these clowns. He's writing as if its exclusively teenagers that want Wenger out as if its borne out of some immature impatience. I'm still a young 'un at 40 and want the bloke gone, so to all the Wenger apologists......stick it up your arsene - whatever happened to freedom of speech and opinion? Blokes like that, writing as if they're some sort of Guardian Angel for Lord Wenger get on my fucking tits - get over yourselves

DB10_TH14

Post by DB10_TH14 »

gonna look on the positive today, while we werent at our best we won and thats all that mtrs so its gonna be a very merry xmas :barscarf: :barscarf:

Herd

Post by Herd »

3 GAMES 3 WINS
1 almost good performance against Reading
2 mediocre WBA and Wigan

All of them are shit sides

All it really shows is that the league is piss poor bar the front 2 and possibly the resurgent Chelsea.
We now lead the Chasing Pack which consists of Everton ,them and anyone else from the middle who can win 4/5 on the bounce.
I'm afraid to say that if we qualify again for the CL the board will laugh at us .........again !

Wengers tactics are not getting any better Saturdays subs beggared belief !

Leedsgooner1

Post by Leedsgooner1 »

Had my 9 year old boy & 13 year old girl there on Saturday & had to laugh when a bloke behind me apologised for swearing :D, the non swearing lasted about 30 seconds :mrgreen:

Scary performance at times but the Ox had a good game & looked dangerous for the most part & have to agree that Arteta would be a big miss if injured...

3 good points & onwards & upwards :barscarf: