Forgotten Freddie

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Old Rosie

Forgotten Freddie

Post by Old Rosie »

One last thought before I head off to my wanking chariot.

Over the past week or so we have been wonderfully reminded, like we had all erased it from out minds, just how good teams under Wenger were previously (7 years or so previously) and the names of the greats were rolled out again.

The usual names were there, and rightfully so, Bergkamp, Viera, Henry, Pires, Campbell and even Fuckface Phone Pervert but it struck me that one truly great player was missing.

Is it just the media or have most of us forgotten just how good Ljungberg was in his pomp? For a couple of seasons the guy was electric and before injuries caught up with him his worst of seasons were very good.

This guy scored a shed load of goals, made the game look so easy with the timing of his runs and there was a spell when if he didn't score you was surprised!

Plus on top of all of this he was a bit different too. Football punk if you will.

Why does Freddie not get mentioned in the same breath as the other Invincibles?

:?
Last edited by Old Rosie on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

QuartzGooner

Re: Forgotten Freddie

Post by QuartzGooner »

Old Rosie wrote:
Why does Freddie not get mentioned in the same breath as the other Invincibles?
Because he was a very good player but not a great player?

Superb 2001 - 2002, but never quite hit those heights before or since.

No disrespect to him, he was surrounded by legends, and would walk into the current team with ease.

This Is The Daybreak

Post by This Is The Daybreak »

I often find Gilberto and Lauren get overlooked as well. Gilberto played every game in the Invincible season so that's how important he was and when he got injured in 04/05 it really showed as we became more inconsistent.

Yes Freddie was magnificent but often see his season as being the 01/02 season when he had the red hair and scored an incredible amount of goals from midfield, a tally a striker would be proud of and had a telepathic understanding with Dennis Bergkamp. Remember every Arsenal fan had the red streak in their hair during the 2002 cup final against the Chavs, wonderful days

Old Rosie

Post by Old Rosie »

I think he was a great personally.

For sides that were known for their atacking flair it just surprises me that he hardly gets a whisper when players of the 'Golden Years' are mentioned.

To my mind Edu, Petit, Lauren and Kanu were very good players but Freddie was a cut above that. Not on a par with Bergkamp or Henry maybe but certainly on the same level as Pires.

8)

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Any member of the Invincibles deserves to be remembered for being part of a phenomenal side that achieved something great.

Ljungberg was class, and a player who'll perform like he did in March/April 2002 especially is absolutely priceless. But as I remember he seemed to be hampered by picking up injuries on a fairly regular basis.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Old Rosie wrote:
To my mind Edu, Petit, Lauren and Kanu were very good players but Freddie was a cut above that. Not on a par with Bergkamp or Henry maybe but certainly on the same level as Pires.

8)
Petit was superb.
OK, he was only with us a short time, and I may take flack for this, but in the short time he was with us before his injury, I rated him as good as Vieira and Pires, perhaps even a touch better. His form at the start of the 1998 - 1999 season was breathtaking.

But after injury he declined a lot.

Truly think Pires had a level above Freddie, who when he lost that half-a-yard of pace 2004+ lost a lot more of his game than when Pires's pace started to go.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

QuartzGooner wrote:
Old Rosie wrote:

8)
Petit was superb.
OK, he was only with us a short time, and I may take flack for this, but in the short time he was with us before his injury, I rated him as good as Vieira and Pires, perhaps even a touch better. His form at the start of the 1998 - 1999 season was breathtaking.

Truly think Pires had a level above Freddie, who when he lost that half-a-yard of pace 2004+ lost a lot more of his game than when Pires's pace started to go.
Yeah, Petit was immense. Him and Vieira in midfield was the stuff of dreams... a bit like Denilson and Song :oops:

Freddie was great for us, but he wasn't in the same league as Pires - no way, Rosie! Pires was outstanding, and for that 1-2 year spell before he did his knee, I reckon he was pushing Bergkamp class. Great player.

I'll probably get slated for this, but I see a lot of Freddie in Podolski. Not so much in style, but in their role in the side, and the efficiency of their game. Both work hard from a wide position, playing almost a supporting role, and both have a knack of getting into goalscoring positions. Neither are great technicians, but they're honest players who play a vital role for the team.

Herd

Post by Herd »

I loved Freddie from the day he came on on his debut scored and got booked against MUFC all in 15 mins .
Didn't need to get "acclimatised" to English football he just got stuck in !
Yes his star shone for less time than others but boy was it bright !

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

QuartzGooner wrote:
Old Rosie wrote:

8)
Petit was superb.

I couldnt agree more.Petit and Vieira what a partnership.Never been a midfield two like those two

Freddie wasnt in the same league as Bergkamp Henry or Pires.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

donaldo wrote:
QuartzGooner wrote:
Old Rosie wrote:

8)
Petit was superb.

I couldnt agree more.Petit and Vieira what a partnership.Never been a midfield two like those two

Freddie wasnt in the same league as Bergkamp Henry or Pires.

Ditto. Freddie was brilliant but not quite as good as Petit for me.

As much as Arsene has fucked the pooch big-time nowdays, only an idiot would not admit that he brought some of the best players in the modern game to the club. How the fuck did we go from a midfield of Petit/Vieira to one of Legohead/Song? :cry: :roll:

Christ, where did it all go wrong... :|

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Well in a short spell we had Overmars, Freddie and Pires. Not much to seperate them really as all of them performed some of the best footballI have ever seen.
Speed skill and that something special. Its the best combo.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

'WE LOVE YOU FREDDIE.........'

100% effort player who popped up with vital goals. Can still remember when he got sent off at the swamp and the photo the morning after had him giving the wankers a V-Sign. He understood alright!

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Freddie had one outstanding season, one good one and imo the rest were very frustrating, always injured, the goals dried up and he became a one trick pony who passed the ball more often sideways then forward. Sorry but that is how I remember him.

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

Obviously this was more about Dennis than Freddie but any excuse, one of my favourite goals...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPmg9jTkyfc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XySAiFs8y28

4 defender taken out with one pass. :barscarf:

Freddie was probably a bit of a George Harrison surrounded by John Lennon's. Very good player just outshined by true geniuses. The way he stepped up towards the end of the 01-02 season was immense though. Bobby had been truly outstanding up until his injury and then when he was ruled out for the season it's like Freddie just upped his own game to pick up the mantle. Oh for the days of real "super quality" throughout the team. Always thought he was slightly more suited to playing on the left than the right tbh.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Its Up 4 Grabs Now wrote:Obviously this was more about Dennis than Freddie but any excuse, one of my favourite goals...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPmg9jTkyfc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XySAiFs8y28

4 defender taken out with one pass. :barscarf:

Freddie was probably a bit of a George Harrison surrounded by John Lennon's. Very good player just outshined by true geniuses. The way he stepped up towards the end of the 01-02 season was immense though. Bobby had been truly outstanding up until his injury and then when he was ruled out for the season it's like Freddie just upped his own game to pick up the mantle. Oh for the days of real "super quality" throughout the team. Always thought he was slightly more suited to playing on the left than the right tbh.
Watch the Dennis magic moments clips, that will really make you pine for those days.