Your favorite Bergkamp memory or goals ?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
clockender1

Your favorite Bergkamp memory or goals ?

Post by clockender1 »

The last time we won anything was with Dennis pulling the strings and its amazing that its 8 years since he left (coincidence ?)

1. Southampton (H)
2. Leciester (A)
3. Newcastle (A)
4. Argentina (WC)

My vote is for 4. the winner in a WC quarter final to put Argentina out in the 90th with perfect control and volley.

i'd add to that the dozens of perfectly weighted passes that split defences, too many to remember.

How he never got FIFA world player in 98/99 is a travesty.

QuartzGooner

Re: Your favorite Bergkamp memory or goals ?

Post by QuartzGooner »

Newcastle away.
Extraordinary goal.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

With the Argentina goal, I always remember as soon as Frank de Boer played the pass, seeing it was gonna fall to Bergkamp, I knew it was gonna end up in the net. Even when the ball was still 50ft in the air.

Great goal.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Without doubt.The Leicester goal was a rehearsal for this moment of supreme skill and what a pass by Frank De Boer

And the greatest commentary ever by the Dutch commentator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsZkCFoqSBs
Last edited by donaldo on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

the assist for freddy against juventus. humiliated three defenders while buying time for freddy's run, and then that lobbed pass... pure magic :barscarf:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

brazilianGOONER wrote:the assist for freddy against juventus. humiliated three defenders while buying time for freddy's run, and then that lobbed pass... pure magic :barscarf:
Think he had 14 touches on the ball before releasing an exquisite pass for Freddy... Great memories of one of the greatest ever. Sunderland away in the Cup a few days after getting sent off there in the League .the hat-trick at Leicester. Two replica goals against Barnsley , home and away, in 1997-98. His first against Southampton but for me it had to be Newcastle away in 2002. Hard to believe there were those who doubted if he meant it...of course he did he was Denis Bergkamp.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

I said a couple of years ago that my wife went off sex ages ago but I still miss Dennis more.
The pass below just sums up what a magnificent player he was. It was a privelege to witness Dennis Bergkamp at our club.
Too many memories to pick a favourite but that pass was just sublime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckIqErHr86w

hugh jardon

Post by hugh jardon »

My standout Bergkamp memories are:

Being at Highbury for his first two Arsenal goals in a 4-2 win v Southampton - the press had been giving him grief for not scoring in hia first seven or so games!

Being at Filbert Street to witness his incredible hat-trick in the 3-3 away to Leicester (but being unable to celebrate any of his goals due to being in the home end).

And my last game at Highbury a 3-1 win v West Brom he came on as sub and scored a typically beautiful Bergkamp goal. Very emotional as I knew this was to be my last visit to Highbury and also the last time I would see Bergkamp play.

BournemouthRED

Post by BournemouthRED »

That goal he scored against the scum when we beat em 3-1 at highbury. Pissing Down with rain, that touch skill and the Finish was out of this world.

The way he celebrated was perhaps just as good!

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

brazilianGOONER wrote:the assist for freddy against juventus. humiliated three defenders while buying time for freddy's run, and then that lobbed pass... pure magic :barscarf:
massively underated goal, I literally can't remember a goal like it.

Sunderland FA Cup as well

Monkeymaw

Post by Monkeymaw »

I can still clearly remember the day we signed him and just couldn't believe we had signed such a truly world class player. Don't think I have ever been as excited about a player signing for Arsenal. Loved his goal on the last day of the season at Highbury to get us into Europe.
I remember watching him at the World Cup the previous year when the only player repping Arsenal (i think) was McGoldrick.

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

Eboue-Why? wrote:I said a couple of years ago that my wife went off sex ages ago but I still miss Dennis more.
The pass below just sums up what a magnificent player he was. It was a privelege to witness Dennis Bergkamp at our club.
Too many memories to pick a favourite but that pass was just sublime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckIqErHr86w
that pass is Dennis in a nutshell. what a genius that man is. impossible to talk of him and not open up a smile :bowing21:

BournemouthRED

Post by BournemouthRED »

Monkeymaw wrote:I can still clearly remember the day we signed him and just couldn't believe we had signed such a truly world class player. Don't think I have ever been as excited about a player signing for Arsenal. Loved his goal on the last day of the season at Highbury to get us into Europe.
I remember watching him at the World Cup the previous year when the only player repping Arsenal (i think) was McGoldrick.
Remember how mad we all went when he scored that goal and secured 5th! How times have changed, now were chasing 4th! :lol:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

brazilianGOONER wrote: that pass is Dennis in a nutshell. what a genius that man is. impossible to talk of him and not open up a smile :bowing21:
yeah i figured we all needed a cheer up :mrgreen:

i remember the sunderland curler i think. is that the one where they gagged themselves from laughing afterwards ? for some reason i think Merse was up front with him that night.

can anyone remember his headed goals ? - he had three, i remember the Barca one at wembley, and an FA cup one but not the other.

also, technically - who did Dennis replace ?

Lee1

Post by Lee1 »

Newcastle away (meant it all day long), Spuds in the rain and the 3 at Leicester....just for starters. Genius player,articulate,passionate,eloquent and class personified...and a bit of edge to round it off. Wear,from time to time, my orange ''God'' tee shirt purchased for a tennner off stall in Gillespie Road!! Happy days...''there's only one...''
:barscarf: :barscarf: :D