Have you stopped caring

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Have you stopped caring

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:I've fallen out of love with Arsenal. Its similar to a relationship I want to care but I don't and I feel awful about it but can't help it anymore. After Cazorla got the winner on Saturday I felt next to nothing, i don't want us to lose but when we do it barely registers. I know im opening myself up to superfans on here but fuck it, its the truth.....
I feel my love for Arsenal has been pulled right out of me thanks Stan, Ivan and Arsene. Think i'll even give up my silver this summer
Fuck them, Flash - you've put the years and the miles in. Most of us on here have. I've spent an absolute fortune on following/supporting The Arsenal over the last 40 or so years and sometimes I think about it and feel like what a fucking idiot I've been. Now my boy is 7 and he wants to get over for his first game and I'm really torn as to what to do. I'd hate for him to switch allegience because of my apathy but I feel like I'd be lying to him to encourage him into The Arsenal. This is what P-Diddy Hillywood, Wiggy, Ivan The Terrible and (latter-day) Arsene Wenger have done to me. :|

These days apathy is the key word to the point that I actually find myself laughing when we concede another goal :oops:
We all hate the scum and that is a given but even last night when monkey boy scored their 3rd I was very meh about the whole thing - I will always want to finish above them but to finish above them this season will def mean top 4 and I really really do not want top 4. In an ideal world we would finish 7th and they would finish at least 8th but that simply is not gonna happen. I want to see what effects finishing outside the top 4 has on the club - will it see the removal of the manager (wishful thinking I know) and how will it effect the prices of season tickets.

Over here in the 90's we had an unofficial group called the ABU's (anyone but united) - things at that time had got so bad for fans of different clubs that seeing united lose meant almost as much as seeing your own team win :oops: These days I find that it is something similar and I am saddened and embarassed by that small club attitude :( The reality is however, that for whatever reason, the people running our club have made a conscious decision to cut loose the long standing fans - maybe in the long run they will be proved right but it is more likely that as the team drops away from being serious challengers then so too will the new fair weather fans leave and latch onto a different chic pastime that is in at that time.

By the way DB10 can I just say that I would encourage you to bring your son over to see the team in action - not alone do I understand your feelings but I actually agree with them cos I have actually transferred a load of my cynicism onto my eldest but the bottom line is that I feel that bringing my boys over now is putting in groundwork that will last a lifetime 8) I make no bones about it, if either of my sons came home and told me that they were switching clubs I would pack their backs and have them in an orphanage before nightfall

Brady's left peg

Post by Brady's left peg »

In a word.....No.
I have a rapidly growing apathy and a hatred of the owner, the board and the manager, if I was to stop going my lit-lun would never forgive me and I suppose I go in the vain hope that one day we might actually turn up!
I don't know how much longer I will continue to go, I no longer buy merchandise or a programme and if things do not change this summer that will probably be it.
Its all very sad at the moment but the irony is, the reason we feel this way is because we do care. The fact we are members on here proves we all care, we just hate what the club has become.

Kroenke out! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

augie wrote:These days apathy is the key word to the point that I actually find myself laughing when we concede another goal
This.
augie wrote:I want to see what effects finishing outside the top 4 has on the club
And this.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

I care but I am a realist.
The club exists as a money making vehicle for the owner, but does some good charity and community work too.

The team has not been set up to be competitive for six or seven seasons, and it appears it will not be until the stadium debt is paid off.
Even then there is no guarantee the hard changes needed in management and coaching etc will be made.

Chunky The Gooner

Post by Chunky The Gooner »

No I havent stopped caring. I missed my first home game of the season on Saturday because i was at a party. I was gutted to have missed the game. But it didnt stop me on my phone every few minutes trying to get updates. I was fuming at 1-1 and thought here we go again but Santi scored the winner and we got away with it. When I got to the party the first thing they said was ' Im glad Arsenal won otherwise you'd have been in a fucking terrible mood tonight!'
I was talking to a Millwall fan at the party and he said his season ticket is £180 ( true or not I dont know) to which I replied thats 2 games for me. I cant explain why I still care so much but it fucking hurts me when we lose and fucks up my weekend. Most of us on here are around the mid 40's age I see and we've seen the shit times before thats why we dont want to go back to them again.
All this if you have a go a Wenger then your not a proper fan bollocks comes mainly from the people who have only known Wenger in charge. Saying that I never ever want us to lose. Fair play to
you lads who come over from abroad. It costs me enough and I live 20 minutes away. Theres an irish guy Matt who comes over for every home game and does a few aways too. I honestly dont know how he does it. While I can still get the money together Ill still keep going. Its terrible that people have been priced out of the game and the club has long since changed from the days when it was 'a club' of course its now a business or 'franchise'

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

nope

I still get pissed off and sulk when we lose, and celebrate like fuck when we win :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

never stop caring

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:I've fallen out of love with Arsenal. Its similar to a relationship I want to care but I don't and I feel awful about it but can't help it anymore. After Cazorla got the winner on Saturday I felt next to nothing, i don't want us to lose but when we do it barely registers. I know im opening myself up to superfans on here but fuck it, its the truth.....
I feel my love for Arsenal has been pulled right out of me thanks Stan, Ivan and Arsene. Think i'll even give up my silver this summer
Fuck them, Flash - you've put the years and the miles in. Most of us on here have. I've spent an absolute fortune on following/supporting The Arsenal over the last 40 or so years and sometimes I think about it and feel like what a fucking idiot I've been. Now my boy is 7 and he wants to get over for his first game and I'm really torn as to what to do. I'd hate for him to switch allegience because of my apathy but I feel like I'd be lying to him to encourage him into The Arsenal. This is what P-Diddy Hillywood, Wiggy, Ivan The Terrible and (latter-day) Arsene Wenger have done to me. :|
It's not the club we used to know as someone said apart from the name everything has changed, almost as fucking bad as MK Dons. I would always make sure my kids support Arsenal, as my dad made sure I did and feel I owe him more than I owe the club but I do wonder if its worth it. Having spent fortunes following Arsenal home, away and abroad over the years I feel gutted that I feel this way but I do and it doesn't help that I'm being priced out too!!! I hate the lying manager, money hungry board, players that don't give a shit, all the bullshit that the club spout and i detest the AKB's that are letting our club down by not just accepting but worshipping the shit that our club and manager has become

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

flash gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
It's not the club we used to know as someone said apart from the name everything has changed, almost as fucking bad as MK Dons. I would always make sure my kids support Arsenal, as my dad made sure I did and feel I owe him more than I owe the club but I do wonder if its worth it. Having spent fortunes following Arsenal home, away and abroad over the years I feel gutted that I feel this way but I do and it doesn't help that I'm being priced out too!!! I hate the lying manager, money hungry board, players that don't give a shit, all the bullshit that the club spout and i detest the AKB's that are letting our club down by not just accepting but worshipping the shit that our club and manager has become
Spot on Flash.Thats all the club is about now making money.They now annouce tickets sold rather than be honest about 10-15,000 empty seats.I hate the AKB's who swallow the bullshit Wenger feeds them and then call anti Wenger fans not real supporters.I hate Wenger and everything he stands for.Football history is built on trophies won not 4th place finishes.But most of all i hate our fans who refuse to do anything and let the Kroenke Gazidis and Wenger dictatorship get away with destroying OUR club.I was on the North Bank in the mid 70's when we were on the verge of relegation and the early 80's when watching paint dry was more enjoyable but i have never felt so distant from the club as i do now.We stopped being a football club the day we left Highbury we are now franchise

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

To me, Arsenal FC died in 2006 when we left Highbury.
To me, Arsenal FC died the day they offered Wenger his last contract renewal. A manager who is more interested in the financial side of things at the club than building a winning team. As big a conflict of interest you will ever see at a club. Mis-management from top to bottom by Wenger, a dinosaur who single handedly, will make Arsenal FC also rans for years to come because of his pathetic legacy. A very sad time indeed for all true Gooners.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

ADGC and augie. You are both right of course. 8)

I have to bring him. My dad made me and my three brothers Gooners and it is my duty to make my boy one too. And I will, I'll bring him over. But I'll probably ruin his trip by boring him senseless with tales of "How it used to be... before the moneybastards ruined it all." :lol: :oops:

My wife once asked me how I'd react if he came home and said he was switching to the chavs or the Manure filth. I said basically he'd be out the door. So it is my responsibility to ensure he grows up red and white, a canon in his heart.

A great story my mate Big Pete told me about how he brought his two sons to their first game; Pete is Engerlish living in Oireland married to an Oirish woman and is few years older than myself. He told his boys when they were about 7 or 8 maybe that he was bringing them home to Engerland to visit relatives and on the plane over he pulled out two Arsenal jerseys and announced they were really on the way to their first game at Highbury! It's such a cool thing to do. His boys are now full lifetime Gooners in their twenties (one posibly in his early thirties?) and go to matches with us regularly and they tell that story too and about how it was one of the greatest days in their lives. 8)

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

It is rather unhealthy to care for my beloved Arsenal nowadays.
They can still manage to fuck up my weekend, and quite often my whole week.
Whenever we lose I sulk, rather like a teenager. When we play poorly I am the same, even if we scrape a win.
I can't see it changing anytime soon, but I can't see me caring less either.

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

[/quote} I was on the North Bank in the mid 70's when we were on the verge of relegation and the early 80's when watching paint dry was more enjoyable but i have never felt so distant from the club as i do now.We stopped being a football club the day we left Highbury we are now franchise[/quote]

As soon as I read this, it brought back so many memories. Yes we were inconsistent, and some days it was painful, but you just felt as though we were all in it together. Going to football was such a great day out back then and everyone could afford it. I had a Season Ticket at Highbury from 85 to 99 and have to say they were the happiest days of my life. Now I can't afford to go to many games, get the odd ticket now and then and it is just not the same. The crowd has changed so much, probably true of other clubs as well, but the old-school fan has just been shit on by the money making steamroller that Arsenal has sadly become. Yes, I still care, but not half as much as the good old days!

wilko49er

Post by wilko49er »

Apathy is my new middle name and has been for a few years now. Don't get me wrong i fucking hate losing. I love the club but hate the way its run, and a lot of the tossers in it.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Please feel free to fuck off and take up trainspotting you Lilly livered mugs !
In a week where the ONLY thing on anyones mind should be getting the right inoculation marching down seven sisters road and the destruction of the cockerel here u all are bleating going and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on like an italian washing machine.
This site has become the online whinger where even the site admin hope we lose games as they mistakenly feel that that would get rid of the manager .
FFS either do something or shut up !
If you dont care then fuck off !

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Herd wrote:Please feel free to fuck off and take up trainspotting you Lilly livered mugs !
In a week where the ONLY thing on anyones mind should be getting the right inoculation marching down seven sisters road and the destruction of the cockerel here u all are bleating going and on and on and on and on and on on and on and on and on and on like an italian washing machine.
This site has become the online whinger where even the site admin hope we lose games as they mistakenly feel that that would get rid of the manager .
FFS either do something or shut up !
If you dont care then fuck off !
:lol: