Have you stopped caring

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
supergeorgegraham

Have you stopped caring

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Now this a stolen from a Blog on the main page but its what I was going to ask you lot.
I found myslef not caring about the Villa game and not caring about Arsenal for the first time in my life. I dont care because nothing is going to change.
Wenger hold all the power and his policy of charging you all massive amounts of money to watch average players just stinks. Even Cazorla does my head in. I wanted him to perform against the big teams and he fails every time but when he scores vs average teams he is hailed as a god. Give me Michu any day much better.
So thats it then the boss has finally managed to destroy my love for Arsenal FC. It will return once new management and board are in place so I will have to wait a long long time.

skizz_b

Re: Have you stopped caring

Post by skizz_b »

"apathy" describes my approach at the moment

it's not that i don't care, it's more that i'm resigned to the fact nothing will change and until it does there is no point in me getting emotional about losing.

i enjoy winning and still get pissed off when we drop stupid points but it's happened so much in the last 7 years that it doesn't sting for days afterwards like it used to

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

skizz_b wrote:"apathy" describes my approach at the moment

it's not that i don't care, it's more that i'm resigned to the fact nothing will change and until it does there is no point in me getting emotional about losing.

i enjoy winning and still get pissed off when we drop stupid points but it's happened so much in the last 7 years that it doesn't sting for days afterwards like it used to
^^ This 100%

I'm just in a kind of demotivated, resigned state of apathy. I'm not even angry about it much anymore. I think the fact that we have changed so much as a club has alienated me a bit too. We are now all about the money. Everything seems secondary to the money. We've sold out our heritage, our traditions and our class. :|

SouthCoastArsenal

Post by SouthCoastArsenal »

Couldn't care less at the minute.

I'm near enough finished with Arsenal. Living in Bournemouth now, it's a £150-£200 day out for a home game, to watch a shower of uncaring arseholes 'perform' on behalf of a shower of money making wankers, watched by a large number of tourists, JCL wankers & corporate suits.

I've started following Bournemouth, the football is decent at the minute, crowds are good, the players care, real supporters, decent crack & only £11 a ticket, add in a few beers & it's no more than £40.

25% of the cost for more enjoyment.

If that means I'm not a fan etc., I don't give a toss.

In life, sometimes you must make decisions for the greater good & me choosing not to line the pockets of Stan & Co. is doing exactly that. Yes I'll miss out on some good times, but not many.

spike241

Post by spike241 »

Pretty much.
I still feel 'something' when we win or lose but not like I used to

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

DB10 said, "I think the fact that we have changed so much as a club has alienated me a bit too. We are now all about the money. Everything seems secondary to the money. We've sold out our heritage, our traditions and our class."

I feel exactly this, though it's as much a description of the Premier League as of us. I must still care because I do get angry when we lose, but perversely, I'm not particularly happy when we win. Not for long anyway.

Our demise has been ongoing for a number of years and in the end it just grinds you down.

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

I watch expecting nothing and anything else is a bonus.

I can't abide most of the players bar Jack and 1 or 2 others.

I celebrated the winning goal aginst Villa with anger that it should take them till the 86th min to put away a bunch of kids low on confidence.

Gave up my season ticket and haven't bothered with home games because I flat refuse to fuel the so called cash reserves they're building.

I will still go to the pub and watch them and go to the away game I can afford or make time for but that's because like a junkie I can't stay away. :oops:

I know quite a few who'd rather watch lower league teams or teams closer to home and I have tried it but still only half heartedly as like a saddo I am only really interested in the one team that is taking my love for granted and expecting it to last fiorever regardless of how much they take the piss.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

I've fallen out of love with Arsenal. Its similar to a relationship I want to care but I don't and I feel awful about it but can't help it anymore. After Cazorla got the winner on Saturday I felt next to nothing, i don't want us to lose but when we do it barely registers. I know im opening myself up to superfans on here but fuck it, its the truth.....

I feel my love for Arsenal has been pulled right out of me thanks Stan, Ivan and Arsene. Think i'll even give up my silver this summer

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Arsenal is basically a franchise these days. New stadium, new badge, new supporters, and run purely as a business. What's left to like? To me, Arsenal FC died in 2006 when we left Highbury.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:I've fallen out of love with Arsenal. Its similar to a relationship I want to care but I don't and I feel awful about it but can't help it anymore. After Cazorla got the winner on Saturday I felt next to nothing, i don't want us to lose but when we do it barely registers. I know im opening myself up to superfans on here but fuck it, its the truth.....
I feel my love for Arsenal has been pulled right out of me thanks Stan, Ivan and Arsene. Think i'll even give up my silver this summer
Fuck them, Flash - you've put the years and the miles in. Most of us on here have. I've spent an absolute fortune on following/supporting The Arsenal over the last 40 or so years and sometimes I think about it and feel like what a fucking idiot I've been. Now my boy is 7 and he wants to get over for his first game and I'm really torn as to what to do. I'd hate for him to switch allegience because of my apathy but I feel like I'd be lying to him to encourage him into The Arsenal. This is what P-Diddy Hillywood, Wiggy, Ivan The Terrible and (latter-day) Arsene Wenger have done to me. :|

Den10kamp

Post by Den10kamp »

Sad times lads, but true ... all we have now are memories of how good it used to be, when players cared, when wenger wasnt a blatant lying arrogant frontman ..... the word apathy is spot on of how i feel now and sadly im voting with my feet ...I was gonna go reading home but then i realised its gonna cost me a ton for the day out ....fuck that ....it never used to be like that, i miss all my mates who still go (they have their reasons likewise) just a real shame its come to this .....

Den10kamp

Post by Den10kamp »

VoiceOfReason wrote:Arsenal is basically a franchise these days. New stadium, new badge, new supporters, and run purely as a business. What's left to like? To me, Arsenal FC died in 2006 when we left Highbury.
Amen ...

Clash

Post by Clash »

VoiceOfReason wrote:Arsenal is basically a franchise these days. New stadium, new badge, new supporters, and run purely as a business. What's left to like? To me, Arsenal FC died in 2006 when we left Highbury.
I feel the same.

If we are totally honest with ourselves, this is a different club now. The real Arsenal was buried in the rubble at Highbury. And I think those in charge knew exactly what they were doing when they did this. All quite deliberate in my opinion, although I'm sure they thought there would still be enough success on the pitch to let them get away with it. As it turned out, Wenger overrated himself and his ideas and the board overrated Wenger and his judgement.

Wenger was effectively allowed to start afresh with a new club the moment we moved in the summer of 2006. One designed to serve him and his own agenda. However, as much as I dislike what he did and what he made us become, I cannot walk away completely because Arsenal FC was already a big part of me. Walking away completely would leave a void that cannot be filled.

Therefore I am stuck with following this phoney version. A fake Arsenal. Arsene FC. And I dont care about them like I used to care about the real Arsenal. Not even close.

A dallying Gus Caesar

Post by A dallying Gus Caesar »

skizz_b wrote:"apathy" describes my approach at the moment

This sums up my sentiments. I see little positive happening in the coming years..and I do not just mean short term.

A dallying Gus Caesar

Post by A dallying Gus Caesar »

DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:I've fallen out of love with Arsenal. Its similar to a relationship I want to care but I don't and I feel awful about it but can't help it anymore. After Cazorla got the winner on Saturday I felt next to nothing, i don't want us to lose but when we do it barely registers. I know im opening myself up to superfans on here but fuck it, its the truth.....
Fuck them, Flash - you've put the years and the miles in. Most of us on here have. I've spent an absolute fortune on following/supporting The Arsenal over the last 40 or so years and sometimes I think about it and feel like what a fucking idiot I've been. Now my boy is 7 and he wants to get over for his first game and I'm really torn as to what to do. I'd hate for him to switch allegience because of my apathy but I feel like I'd be lying to him to encourage him into The Arsenal. This is what P-Diddy Hillywood, Wiggy, Ivan The Terrible and (latter-day) Arsene Wenger have done to me. :|
DB.

I totally understand how you feel. I saw my first game in 1976. I am totally and utterly pissed off with things but I have to hope that things will change some day. It would not take a miracle for us to be sitting here in a years time with none of the three stooges still in situ. Things do change in football and in business.

Therefore you must take your youngster to a game and hope he will follow Arsenal for the rest of his life.
Imagine if he came home saying he wanted to support Chelsea!!!