Can you remember?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Can you remember?

Post by Nos89 »

I've been sorting through my old programmes and there are games that I can remember going to but there are also games I cannot recall a single moment or what the score was. I've been to over 300+ games. Does anyone here recall moments from every game they have gone to?? If so what's the most obscure memory?
Mine's sitting in the lower east stand at Highbury for the first time vs Man City 1989 and hearing Tony Adams shouting at his team mates throughout the match. That man could shout and swear for England :barscarf:

arseofacrow

Re: Can you remember?

Post by arseofacrow »

Around 90-92, I remember a sheff utd player, tony agana I think :shock: , going over in the box at the clock end and staying down in what appeared to be feigning injury. everyone was giving him stick for it - then he shot up, laughed and pointed to the fans in a "ahhhh, fooled yer" sort of way.

It's obscure, difficult to describe and possibly never happened. :oops: :lol:

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I have a terrible memory for games and scorelines. :oops: :lol:

But do remember odd things; like the two blue-rinse grannies in the NB in 1995 roaring abuse at Hillier after he came on and just stood in the centre circle like a lost child. Never heard old women swear like those two! :lol: 8)

Think that was the same game where I first heard Stewart Houston refered to as "Son of George" and not in a loving way either (he had just taken over as caretaker after GG got flicked). "Oi - Son of George! Fuck off!" I seem to recall many punters offering up that night! :lol:

This was a hangover of the last few months of GG's reign. Little known (or little admitted) fact was that alot of Gooners were giving GG a hard time because of our poor run in the league, shit signings and reduction to the status of cup team. :(

Still love GG though. 8)

Mr Eboue

Post by Mr Eboue »

I remember the FA replay against Sheff Utf in '99 - I think because tickets cost something like £7 and I was in the first row of the NB, and an old dear asked me to please stop shouting so loudly.

Fond memories of another match in the NB 1st row, must have been 11-12 at the time, and my dad and his mate were berating David James non stop for the entire first half, "Don't miss the ball cinderella" and ridiculing his stupid haircut he had.

Those were the days.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Mr Eboue wrote:
Fond memories of another match in the NB 1st row, must have been 11-12 at the time, and my dad and his mate were berating David James non stop for the entire first half, "Don't miss the ball cinderella" and ridiculing his stupid haircut he had.

Those were the days.
The days when banter was banter - and not abuse.

Youth of today can't seem to separate the two.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

I clearly remember a Norwich defender getting a round of applause from the West Lower Stand in 1990-91 season when he made a fantastic interception...seemed strange and yet seemed the correct thing to do.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Like DB10Gooner, apart from really big games I am not great for scores, scorers or even games that I have been too.

I remember the odd incident and things that happened in the crowd.

Bendtners Drinking Buddy

Post by Bendtners Drinking Buddy »

Beinf row 3 and watching Winterburn blow his cheeks not just when he passed the ball, but anytime it came remotely near him......

Vinny Jones celebrating after scoring in a 1-0 win for Wimbledon......heard my old man swear for the first time

It was "fuck off you twat" if your wondering

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Bendtners Drinking Buddy wrote:Beinf row 3 and watching Winterburn blow his cheeks not just when he passed the ball, but anytime it came remotely near him......

Vinny Jones celebrating after scoring in a 1-0 win for Wimbledon......heard my old man swear for the first time

Strange i was just going to post. One of the things i remember was we played Forest in the FA Cup in '87 or '88 and i had started work so was going with mates but this day my dad came along, i remember a Forest forward called Wilkinson (i think) he had a moustache anyway. . . . he scored as he ran off with his arms up in front of the northbank it was totally silent apart from my dad who was just behind me he shouted out in the loudest voice id ever heard 'you fucking bastard' :lol: Even at the time i laughed even though i was gutted they had scored...... Its one of the many things i remember about my times at Highbury

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:I clearly remember a Norwich defender getting a round of applause from the West Lower Stand in 1990-91 season when he made a fantastic interception...seemed strange and yet seemed the correct thing to do.
I actually LOVED things like that. The class of applauding an oppo player that had done well. It was quite common in the early 90's and had been since year dot.

I also think to a certain extent the wit has gone out of banter/player slagging. Nowdays it just seems to be brainless abuse (even when not called for against non-cunty players). Some of the old piss take stuff was just innocent at times but some of it could be hilarious.

Particularly loved the "Two Andy Gorams, there's only two Andy Gorams" chant instead of "You're fucking mental ya mental cúnt Goram" that you'd get nowdays... :lol: :wink:

Bendtners Drinking Buddy

Post by Bendtners Drinking Buddy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:I clearly remember a Norwich defender getting a round of applause from the West Lower Stand in 1990-91 season when he made a fantastic interception...seemed strange and yet seemed the correct thing to do.
I actually LOVED things like that. The class of applauding an oppo player that had done well. It was quite common in the early 90's and had been since year dot.

I also think to a certain extent the wit has gone out of banter/player slagging. Nowdays it just seems to be brainless abuse (even when not called for against non-cunty players). Some of the old piss take stuff was just innocent at times but some of it could be hilarious.

Particularly loved the "Two Andy Gorams, there's only two Andy Gorams" chant instead of "You're fucking mental ya mental cúnt Goram" that you'd get nowdays... :lol: :wink:
Football fans, a collective intelligence when it comes to song writing! :barscarf:

Clash

Post by Clash »

DB10GOONER wrote:

:lol:

I remember Le Tissier hitting a pass about 100 yards that was about a foot off the ground the whole distance ... and it drawing a gasp and then a ripple of applause.

Agree about the banter now being brainless. I despair at that 'wanker wanker wanker wanker' chant! Sounds like something a group of 13 years old would come up with after downing half a shandy between them.

augie

Post by augie »

Bendtners Drinking Buddy wrote:Beinf row 3 and watching Winterburn blow his cheeks not just when he passed the ball, but anytime it came remotely near him......

By any chance was that game played on a Sunday for tv ? I attended a game against them when we lost 1-0 to them just a few days after the wrighty v red nose racist battle after the game (was also at that game :( ). If the game v Wimbledon was the same one then I was sitting in the clock end right beside the away fans that day and I hardly watched any of the game cos the banter and craic with their fans was brilliant 8)

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

by my rough estimate i'm probably around 400 games over 35 years...

i can't remember the vast majority - its a mist of goals, celebrations, weather, cups of tea and dog burgers. i know i saw woodcock, mariner and stapleton scored dozens of goals for us, by i can't remember any apart from a header from stapelton versus Forest and a couple of long distance volleys from woodcock.

i can remember a lot of important goals - TH v Man U, Freddie V Man U, TA v Everton, Overmars v everton, Dennis' first two, wrighty's just done it. Platt's looper, Jensens goal V QPR, Dennis v the spuds 1997, charlie Nicks first scuffed goal. etc etc

not sure about obscure but the strangest for me was the pigeons in the roof of the North Bank being spooked by the 1 minute silence at the Norwich game a week after Hillsborough.

also strange was the goal celebration after the 'goal' against Sheff United - who else would have the class to offer to replay the game for sporting reasons ? - only us.

the "Bank of Arsenal" tenners that we waved at the Scousers were pretty funny at the time.

during his spell inside, "we've lost our Tony Adams, and now he's gone, gone gone..." to "that loving feeling" used to make me smile.

as does the memory of 25,000 odd gooners standing on their seats in paris in 95, dancing and signing full strength to "parklife" . which was never an "arsenal" song but it was that day.