Questions for Chris Whyte

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Herd

Re: Questions for Chris Whyte

Post by Herd »

Very likable Guy ,met him on a London bound train from Leeds after staying up there the night following a midweek match against them in which I think he played although I don't remember the game . He was on the 0515 train from Leeds 'cos his mum was ill and he had a day off from training and wanted to get home to see her . Cant remember what B/S we talked about all I remember he was a very humble down to earth fella who had time for fans and said he loved playing for the Arsenal but that it wasn't his decision to leave. Tommy Caton on the other hand was a loudmouth twat who almost got a slap in the Bank of Friendship after gobbing off about southerners and how he hated us all .
Respect to what I think was the last Islington Boy to play for us !

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Herd wrote: Respect to what I think was the last Islington Boy to play for us !
Ryan Smith?

skipper

Post by skipper »

This is more of a general question that involves Chris Whyte...as far as I know, he grew up in Riversdale rd and just wonder if that makes him Arsenal player (past or present :lol: ) who grew up closest to Old Highbury?

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

skipper wrote:This is more of a general question that involves Chris Whyte...as far as I know, he grew up in Riversdale rd and just wonder if that makes him Arsenal player (past or present :lol: ) who grew up closest to Old Highbury?

Didn't Pat Rice actually live in Avenall road as a kid (or did I dream it )

Herd

Post by Herd »

A lot of kids that came over from Ireland were put up in guest houses owned by the Arsenal around the ground so whilst Rice was from Northern Ireland he probably stayed in Avenell road.

Cant remember Ryan to be honest with u Quartz,had to Google him !

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

StuartL and Herd

Think Pat Rice's parents owned a grocer's shop in Gillespie Road?

Charlie George grew up in Tufnell Park Rd (McCall House) which is 400m from Highbury, Chris Whyte's Riversdale Rd is about 300 or 400m from Highbury depending which end of the road Chris lived in, so yeah I reckon he gets the award!

This Is The Daybreak

Post by This Is The Daybreak »

Remember Tom Cruise as well, he was brought up a stones throw away from where the new ground is as well apparently...remember reading it in a programme or something a few years back.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

This Is The Daybreak wrote:Remember Tom Cruise as well, he was brought up a stones throw away from where the new ground is as well apparently...remember reading it in a programme or something a few years back.
Great shout.
Played a CL game against Olympiacos.
Fast forward to Carlisle and Torquay, and Mark Randall in the same boat.
Shame.