Questions for Chris Whyte

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Mike1
Site Admin

Questions for Chris Whyte

Post by Mike1 »

Whenever we ask readers what they'd like to see more of in The Gooner, the top answer is nearly always interviews with ex-players which unfortunately are far harder to arrange than people may imagine.

However, we've lined up one with Chris Whyte which fans of a certain vintage will know was an Arsenal centre-back (and famously, once a striker) in the early 80s.

If you'd like us to put a question to Chris on your behalf, please post it here and we'll do our best to get through them all.

All being well, the interview will be printed in the next issue of The Gooner which is scheduled to be out for the Reading game at the end of the month.

Barriecuda

Re: Questions for Chris Whyte

Post by Barriecuda »

I would like to ask a player of the "old days" if he feels the game has changed for better or worse since his playing days. (More so in terms of how it's played on the pitch, rather than the financial aspects).

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

He certainly had an interesting career.

Played for Arsenal, then ended up in the MISL, an Indoor League in the USA :shock: :? , before returning to England and winning the title with Leeds Utd.

A question about his unusual career path would be interesting.

tel

Post by tel »

Not a question as such but I was at Highbury when he scored 6 in a reserve game against Charlton. I think we won 12-0?

Pierre32

Post by Pierre32 »

Does he remember the nickname the Arsenal fans gave him ?

:barscarf: :barscarf:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

How difficult was it being a local lad playing for the club?
Was he able to 'switch off" outside of the game, or was he reminded of football wherever he went?
Or was it the opposite, that he loved every minute?

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

Mike,

Could you ask him whether the fact that the P.A. announcer, announced the signing of Tommy Caton whilst the players were warming up just before the game affected his performance for the Walsall League Cup defeat in 1983? I thought at the time it was terrible timing as it was pretty obvious that Caton was signed to directly replace him!

Many thanks - Frank

jrthgooner

Post by jrthgooner »

I would like to ask him why he thinks defending has gone backwards in the modern game?

REB

Post by REB »

I remember him playing as a forward for arsenal, ask him did he mind playing as a striker :?:

Mike1
Site Admin

Post by Mike1 »

Thanks for those received so far. We'll do our best to ask them all.

The interview will take place later this week, so keep them coming.

Mike1
Site Admin

Post by Mike1 »

Pierre32 wrote:Does he remember the nickname the Arsenal fans gave him ?
He had a couple I think. I remember him as "Chalky Whyte" which was probably a sign of the times, but he was also known as "Huggy Bear" I think after the character in Starsky and Hutch.

Postman

Post by Postman »

Ask him if he had his toes broken to fit his boots better!

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

REB wrote:I remember him playing as a forward for arsenal, ask him did he mind playing as a striker :?:
That's the one I remember - it was part of the same Don Howe masterplan that involved Paul Mariner being played as an emergency CB too if I recall properly.

Would love to hear what Chris had to say about that 'stint' as a striker. Thought it was more than 1 game

Mike1
Site Admin

Post by Mike1 »

Postman wrote:Ask him if he had his toes broken to fit his boots better!
Eh? Is that a serious question? Did you hear a rumour he had? Some context would be good.
SteveO 35 wrote:Would love to hear what Chris had to say about that 'stint' as a striker. Thought it was more than 1 game
Only the Villa game where he got the winner is recalled by most, but it was more than one game - about six of seven and he was also a regular sub (in the days when only one sub was allowed) due to his new found versatility.

Postman

Post by Postman »

I was told he wore boots and shoes too small for him when he was a boy.
The club doctor broke all his toes to straiten them out!