ROCKY REMEMBERED

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
REB

ROCKY REMEMBERED

Post by REB »

David Rocastle died on March 31, 2001, aged just 33. Later that day, fans of Arsenal and Tottenham stood united in silence to remember the former Gunner before a North London derby. It said much about the respect Rocastle commanded at Highbury and beyond. ‘Rocky’ was a true gentleman of the game.

RIP ROCKY.

gone but never forgotten

DB10GOONER

Re: ROCKY REMEMBERED

Post by DB10GOONER »

RIP. Proper old school Arsenal Legend. 8)

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Got to shake hands with him once :barscarf:

R.I.P. Rocky

A dallying Gus Caesar

Post by A dallying Gus Caesar »

Here, here. Loved Rocky. Played a massive role in the start of our success in the late 80's.

Local lad, plenty of spirit, tenacious, a winner....what was not to like.

Also, as stated above The Spuds fans were brilliant that day. Yes, you should expect no less but they were excellent.

RIP Rocky

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Loved him in the Arsenal number 7 shirt....There are players that played for Arsenal and there are Arsenal players..Rocky was the latter.

hertsgunner

Post by hertsgunner »

Lets hope Rocky will be remembered this saturday,i will certainly be raising a glass or two in rememberance of a true Arsenal legend where are you gonna be drinking fellas.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Heard a round of applause is planned for the 7th minute.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:Heard a round of applause is planned for the 7th minute.
Hope so, true Arsenal Legend....God Bless :barscarf:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Another legendary #7.

Always a tear jerker to hear his name ring around The Arsenal End at big games.

I remember football focus at the time showing kids being taught his roll fake move, i used it a lot in my playing days.

RIP Rocky, you are forever in our hearts and in our memories son.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Still probably the most emotional I've felt at an Arsenal game being there that day when we stood and remembered Rocky in silence....and the Spuds behaved themselves too.

Always missed :(

That league cup semi at the Shitole will always be one of my fondest memories :barscarf:

Clash

Post by Clash »

SteveO 35 wrote:Still probably the most emotional I've felt at an Arsenal game being there that day when we stood and remembered Rocky in silence....and the Spuds behaved themselves too.

Always missed :(

That league cup semi at the Shitole will always be one of my fondest memories :barscarf:
Agree with all that.

I also remember a few days after that Tottenham we had a midweek game at Highbury. At half time, a montage of Rocky's best moments was played on the two screens. The Arsenal players had come out for the 2nd half a few minutes earlier than the opposition and were able to watch it. I remember Lee Dixon standing in front of the screen at the clock end. When the video finished it was followed by one of the most moving rounds of applause I've ever heard, from both players and fans. I wont ever forget that. I probably felt more emotional then as on the Saturday it was more a feeling of shock and disbelief.

And that WHL 1987 match is up there for me with any other match in our history. Seems like yesterday in some ways and yet in other ways it could be a thousand years ago as so much has changed since.

enjibenji

Post by enjibenji »

Got the famous rocky quote inked on to my arm this year, a proper arsenal legend :barscarf:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Rocky was the same age as me. I grew up with that team, a group of players that realised what playing for arsenal meant.

RIP rocky true arsenal legend.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Bradywasking wrote:Loved him in the Arsenal number 7 shirt....There are players that played for Arsenal and there are Arsenal players..Rocky was the latter.
100% agree. Was in tears when told he was leaving us, can you imagine any of the current lot reacting the same way?

RIP Rocky

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Privileged to have been behind the goal at Spurs when Rocastle scored in 1987, and to have seen the famous desk in David Dein's office made out of a cast of Rocky's leg!

Exemplifield the true Arsenal, "hard but fair".

A very good player, and a tragic loss.