O'Neill and Warnock leave

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Martin Hayes

Re: O'Neill and Warnock leave

Post by Martin Hayes »

So, to object to fascism is 'fascist'?

And to object to the EDL, a group who advocate violence against Muslim children amongst others is 'idiotic'?

Blimey...

Daryl, I don't know you from Adam, but I find your viewpoint, particularly for a Gooner, quite disturbing. Didn't some of our recent heroes speak out against racism, the likes of Sol, Brendan Batson and Paul Davis, for example? Didn't East London defeat the fascists on Cable Street? Do you genuinely believe that our fan base, with roots from all over the globe, of all creeds and colours, would accept a self-proclaimed fascist? And let's not be disingenuous now; this man has brought the attention upon himself. He has said that he is a fascist, given the salute, made comments about 'immigrants' - blimey, even Stalin would be hard-pressed to rewrite this one!

I'm not sure if you are trolling here, but if you are, this is a rather insecure bridge to be trolling beneath...

skipper

Post by skipper »

I'm struggling to think of any black fascists? :rubchin:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

skipper wrote:I'm struggling to think of any black fascists? :rubchin:
Agreed. Black shirted maybe but black? :?

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

Chippy wrote:Image

Wiki, Italian fascism "also justified colonialism in Africa by claiming that the spiritual and cultural superiority of Italians as part of the white race, justified the right for Italy and other powers of the white race to rule over the black race, while asserting that racial segregation of whites and blacks in its colonies.[43] It claimed that Fascism's colonial goals were to civilize the inferior races and defend the purity of Western civilization from racial miscegenation that it claimed would harm the intellectual qualities of the white race.[43]"

Is that definitely his arm? It seems to be coming out of his neck :lol:

Similar justifications would have been used by mainstream British Conservatives, and probably a host of other creeds throughout Europe at the time as well, doesn't mean every conservative now is racist. In my opinion this is all very simple; only being racist should be a barrier to him managing Sunderland and he denies being racist and nobody has produced a thing to prove otherwise. Fascism alone is not proof that he is racist so leave the bloke to get on with keeping Sunderland up before it all explodes next season and he gets sacked before Christmas.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

flash gunner wrote:

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/200 ... ets_t.html

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/200 ... ets_t.html
Fair enough

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Can't help thinking the Di Canio appointment will be one of the shortest tenures in football management history, probably resulting in Sunderland being relegated.
It's a great opportunity for Reading to take advantage of and sorry Satfcm but I hope they do, Sunderland and their style of play will be no loss to the premier league.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

goonersid wrote:Can't help thinking the Di Canio appointment will be one of the shortest tenures in football management history, probably resulting in Sunderland being relegated.
It's a great opportunity for Reading to take advantage of and sorry Satfcm but I hope they do, Sunderland and their style of play will be no loss to the premier league.
Free-flowing Reading :wink:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Is there any truth in the rumour that John Terry and Luis Suarez have suddenly become interested in a move to Sunderland?

DarylAFC

Post by DarylAFC »

Martin Hayes wrote:So, to object to fascism is 'fascist'?

And to object to the EDL, a group who advocate violence against Muslim children amongst others is 'idiotic'?

Blimey...

Daryl, I don't know you from Adam, but I find your viewpoint, particularly for a Gooner, quite disturbing. Didn't some of our recent heroes speak out against racism, the likes of Sol, Brendan Batson and Paul Davis, for example? Didn't East London defeat the fascists on Cable Street? Do you genuinely believe that our fan base, with roots from all over the globe, of all creeds and colours, would accept a self-proclaimed fascist? And let's not be disingenuous now; this man has brought the attention upon himself. He has said that he is a fascist, given the salute, made comments about 'immigrants' - blimey, even Stalin would be hard-pressed to rewrite this one!

I'm not sure if you are trolling here, but if you are, this is a rather insecure bridge to be trolling beneath...
Being against fascism isnt fascist, but to deny ANYONE freedom of speech is a very fascist thing.

Being against the EDL isn't idiotic, but to effectively say "Everyone deserves freedom of speech! Except you lot" is very idiotic IMO. I despise the EDL/BNP wankers, but they have the right to have an opinion, no matter how vile it is.

No one cared about Di Canio's views at Swindon, it wasn't until recently that everyone started questioning him about it. Also his comments about immigrants (if we're thinking about the same one) isn't offensive, it's explaining a situation*

*IF we are indeed talkling about the same comments. The one that something like "Immigrants in Italy don't try to intergrate. Italians dont try that hard to intergrate them. If we dont do something, Italy will become an Islamic country. I'm not against islam, I just love my culture". That's the one that was being debated on the radio the other day. If that's not the one, then which one are you reffering to? Also, if he does indeed dislike immigrants, bit ironic seeing as he's an immigrant :lol:

DarylAFC

Post by DarylAFC »

flash gunner wrote:
Look at S. America. There fascist movements, as far as I know (could be bothered to read up on), they had no hatred of race, but some had anti-semetic aims.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

DarylAFC wrote:
Martin Hayes wrote:So, to object to fascism is 'fascist'?

Blimey...

Being against fascism isnt fascist, but to deny ANYONE freedom of speech is a very fascist thing.

Being against the EDL isn't idiotic, but to effectively say "Everyone deserves freedom of speech! Except you lot" is very idiotic IMO. I despise the EDL/BNP wankers, but they have the right to have an opinion, no matter how vile it is.
No one cared about Di Canio's views at Swindon
, it wasn't until recently that everyone started questioning him about it. Also his comments about immigrants (if we're thinking about the same one) isn't offensive, it's explaining a situation*

*IF we are indeed talkling about the same comments. The one that something like "Immigrants in Italy don't try to intergrate. Italians dont try that hard to intergrate them. If we dont do something, Italy will become an Islamic country. I'm not against islam, I just love my culture". That's the one that was being debated on the radio the other day. If that's not the one, then which one are you reffering to? Also, if he does indeed dislike immigrants, bit ironic seeing as he's an immigrant :lol:
Good point. The BBC had him do a column on their website and he was always deemed some sort of 'character' by the media. Suddenly, he's in the top-flight and they change their tune. The fact that he has made noises about fascism is a bit daft but he made those comments in the past and the press made light of it then. What's changed is that they can now shift more papers and fill the hours and hours of shit sporting tv and radio schedules.

augie

Post by augie »

This whole facism "debate" is embarassing imo - as our mackem pointed out, there wasnt a word about all this when di canio was at swindon but now he is in the premier league it all of a sudden becomes relevent ? :? Are we that braindead that we cant be outraged until the media tell us that we can ? :roll: This is a guy that has played in england and scotland for a number of years without any debate about his politics and, granted he can be a bit loony at times, but there has never beena suggestion that he has been racist with either team-mates or opponents. If we actually look beyond the sensationalism headlines I think we will find a gifted but ultimately stupid individual who has tried to play up to his teams fans every step of his career without actually thinking about the consequence of his actions :roll:
From a football point of view di canio will bring a fresh and more positive gameplan to the mackems and after enduring the turgid shite o'neill serves up, this has to be viewed as progress for the sunderland fans. At the end of the day though, he has been left with a very poor strike force (though I still believe danny graham can come good) and if he fails to keep them up then this facism/racism stick will be used by the media to force him out of the league and I am sure that will please all the o'neill buddies in the media who are playing their part in driving this whole issue :x

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

A tattoo of a fascist implies love of fascism or said fascist. Now I doubt Paolo has a bit of the old man love for il Duce.

Paolo's views are his own, we all have views that may or may not be palatable but as a public company like Sunderland, employing someone with open fascist views,and make no mistake they are open and have been since the late 80s,you are asking for trouble.

I wasn't aware the BBC gave Paolo a column and if they did then they have got some cheek.

The statement he put out today is complete BS unless his biography was so ghost wrItten that it actually contained the thoughts of the writer and not Paolo.

It is one thing to disagree with his treatment by the media and yet another to say he is not entitled to free speech. Freedom of speech allows him to have certain political leanings and to be questioned on them by the media but more importantly if I was a Sunderland fan with grandparents that fought and died in the WWII, I would want nothing to do with the club till he left.

The salute which he has done and been banned for by UEFA is no longer just a fascist salute. It has awful racial connotations and always has since the 1930s. For a grown man to even suggest that when he does it that he isn't making a political statement is frankly pathetic. I would have more respect for Paolo if he said "yes I have political views but so does everyone but not for one moment would it stop me trying my best to get Sunderland out of the brown stuff"

Instead he cowardly denies what are his own beliefs.

As far as I know there are fascists in every continent, it's a political belief.You don't have to 'Big smile' to be a fascist but you tend to be a racist if you do.

Martin Hayes

Post by Martin Hayes »

Augie,

I've always had time for your views, whether in agreement or not, but this staggers me.

Why do you assume that anyone needs the media to decide whether they approve of fascism or not? This statement is patronising at best, and deeply offensive at worst.

I know nothing about you - which part of London you live in, where your parents come from, what your background is, but I have always considered you to be thoughtful. Why ignore the thousands around you who would be deeply offended by fascism? Jews, Blacks, in fact anyone not from 15 generations of Anglo-Saxon ingratitude....which is no one I've ever met.

This has fuck all to do with the media and everything to do with all of us who constitute The Arsenal - and if you don't get that, I have misjudged you completely...and I'd rather that wasn't the case...