Possible Tie-breaker for 3rd place..

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Wengerism

Possible Tie-breaker for 3rd place..

Post by Wengerism »

If Chelsea draw 0-0 and we beat Newcastle 2-1

or any other permutation that involves us being level on goals scored with Chelsea, and being equal on goal difference

Tie-breaker could take place at Wembley - would be a big day out for the fans!

bang goes the 0-0 draw

Re: Tie-breaker for 3rd place..

Post by bang goes the 0-0 draw »

Wengerism wrote:If Chelsea draw 0-0 and we beat Newcastle 2-1

or any other permutation that involves us being level on goals scored with Chelsea, and being equal on goal difference

As much as that is actually pretty interesting...Please can we not do this...Lets just finish the season fourth and then discuss this. Going to look pretty stupid if we finish 5th after writing this.

Welcome to the forum by the way :D :lol:

Wengerism

Post by Wengerism »

bang goes the 0-0 draw wrote:

As much as that is actually pretty interesting...Please can we not do this...Lets just finish the season fourth and then discuss this. Going to look pretty stupid if we finish 5th after writing this.

Welcome to the forum by the way :D :lol:
Hi, yeah I just raised the possibility as I don't think anyone had mentioned the idea of a tie-breaker on any of the other threads.

I had actually assumed that tie-breakers would be decided on head-to-head results, but apparently not

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Toss a coin, rock paper scissors, eeny, meeny, miny, moe......ANYTHING other than having to play another game please! I need this season to end ASAP.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

A Virtual Cup Final.....actually in the very unlikely event of this happening it should revert to the head to head. Slightly off topic but I saw Brentford players getting fitted for suits for playoff final. The idea of a playoff final at Wembley with all the Cup Final trappings is morally wrong. A league is a league and a Cup competition is a Cup competition and never should they meet. Bournemouth came second in that division and nobody remembers that.
Even further off topic if Chelsea win tonight they will become the first English team to win all three European Trophies and by extension the first English team to win all six trophies that top flight English teams can aspire to.

skizz_b

Post by skizz_b »

they would go to results between the 2 teams before they did that, and as they took 6 points off us we would finish 4th

EDIT - just read that it's in the fucking rule book! forget wembley, let's have it at the shithole and smash the shit out of the place afterwards!!

Wengerism

Post by Wengerism »

Will be interesting to find out when it would take place, give that Chelsea are off to the States for a couple of scheduled friendlies with Man city, and after that England have some qualifiers/friendlies too

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22537372

TheCook

Post by TheCook »

I'm sure tickets will be £10 for adults and £5 for Children.

If we finish all square in the table, do the decent thing and concede third, as they took six point off us during the season.

markyp

Post by markyp »

this is never going to happen,chavski wont draw o-o anyway,i just want to finish 4th end of.also do we really need one more humiliation against chavski this season,we've had 2 already.lets keep our feet on the ground and just pray for a win sunday :barscarf:

spike241

Post by spike241 »

It doesn't need to be 0-0.

I think as long as we win by 1 and Chavs draw it'll go to a play-off. Can't see it happening but it's not impossible

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

Quite interesting. I would have for sure thought that head-to-head record would be the tiebreaking factor if equal on points, goals for and goals against. It definitely should be - as TheCook said, they murdered us this season.

Wengerism

Post by Wengerism »

spike241 wrote:It doesn't need to be 0-0.

I think as long as we win by 1 and Chavs draw it'll go to a play-off. Can't see it happening but it's not impossible
Hence I said "or any other permutation that involves us being level on goals scored with Chelsea, and being equal on goal difference"

And you're wrong - we could win 1-0, and Chavs draw 0-0 (They have greater number of goals scored so get 3rd place).

For purpose of clarity:

Arsenal vs Newcastle - Result: a-b
Chelsea vs Everton - Result: x-y

Following must be the case for playoff to occur: a>b, x=y, (a minus x) = 2

Chips and Chocolate

Post by Chips and Chocolate »

Wengerism wrote:
spike241 wrote:
Following must be the case for playoff to occur: a>b, x=y, (a minus x) = 2
All cleared up now, thanks!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I'm sure gazidis and his pimps are thinking up the name for the Trophy as we speak...we've already got the Virtual trophy for 4th...but what about Third!??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: The Second To Second Runners Up Cup??

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Got a horrible feeling about this. You can already see the meeting at the Premier League where some marketing wanker is saying "hey why don't we do it every year, 2nd 3rd and 4th have a round robin to decide who gets which spots, think of the money, TV rights etc.."

:evil: