squad for 2013/14 good enough?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
highburyJD

squad for 2013/14 good enough?

Post by highburyJD »

obviously to challenge we need more quality and depth (or a lot of luck with injuries/backups stepping up)
but IMO we have a decent base
KEEPERS:
Szczezza is hard to guage - v Wigan I though the volleyed Kos clearance and Maloney FK were goalie errors
but the save from Kone was a huge moment in the game
Flappy is technically a good goalie but has decision making and mental recovery issues. I expect him to leave.
Mannone OK shot-stopper, nothing sticks - will go
Martinez - not seen enough, highly rated in Arg. Dodgy v Reading, biggest game I've seen him play in

- experienced backup required. Szcz the only one I see figuring

DEFENDERS:
RB could be a problem, that said Bac lost form so THIS Sagna isn't so hard to replace - I like Bellerin and CorporalJenks.
with Klopp leaving maybe Piszczek is gettable? He's class
LB still undecided on Monreal and Gibbs. Doubt we will buy. Vermaelen remains an option, only seen him play well there once (can't remember who it was - Newcastle? no that was a poor game by Gibbs...)
CBs is easy in terms of starters: BFG and Kos partnership now on a decent unbeaten run (16/17?)
Verm is a decent replacement but I'd like to see him do a Luiz and be tried in midfield. Every time I've seen that young Serb play for the youth team I've liked him (Hajrovic - I checked). Miquel is obv highly rated too.
Squid goes

- expect Jenks, BFG, Kos, Gibbs/Nacho to be given a chance to build cohesion, would like to see Bellerin step up, if not we will need to buy. On one hand we could sign a big physical player who can perform in defence and midfield - on the other that could be Verminator.

MIDFIELD
Tets has been excellent as the transitional pivot, great passing consistency. Still needs to work on his defending but is a vital part of our team. I'd make him captain.
Rambo - most improved player, provides great energy and drive. Needs to score more goals, should be targeting at least half-a-dozen every season. Offers positional flexibility (has actually impressed me at RB when we've chased games)
JW10 - injury wrecked season. I'd like to see him tried further forward, remember him impressing coming in from the right. Our best youth team prospect since Ca$hley, has the potential to step up to World Class. Surprisingly has not yet built a natural combination with Santi and Tets.
Cazorla- our player of the season. I suspect he's been shifted left in order to accommodate Wilshere at 10. Hope it works, sometimes he's drifted in and out of games from there - was awesome v Wigan.
TR7 really gives the team zip and energy, encourages front foot defending and isn't afraid to lose the ball with directness. Vital squad member, glad we have him (having given up on him at one point).
Ox - disappointing season (difficult 2nd album?) still think he offers a lot. Not sure what his best position is. See him as a key squad member. Club lists him as striker?
LeCoq rumoured to be going to Schalke. I liked him, looked Flamsteresque at times but hasn't quite done it. Wish him well (put in a sell on clause)
AA23 if off.
Diaby we virtually write off

- we don't have a Cesc shaped hole in our squad. But if there's any chance we should get him. Would like to see Verm tried in midfield, we need another solid body there as Frimpong and LeCoq haven't nailed down squad space.

FORWARDS
Giroud - form has dropped. Decent as point of the attack, has scored a fair number of first season goals. Must step up and improve 2nd season. Need more shots, more involvement, more use of his physical attributes.
Gervinho - spectacularly frustrating. Amazing acceleration in small space. Can go past almost anyone, yet delivers virtually nothing. One of the worst finishers ever, can that be overcome?
Feo - good solid season. Unlike so many of our other players, I'm confident he'll deliver in big games. He needs to be more of a flat track bully, allows poor players to keep him at arms length. This year v parked busses joins the CF in the middle, would like to see more of that - think it will be easier with good crosser Jenks or pseudo winger Bellerin filling that space.
Podolski - was really excited about the signing. For me he's struggled at times. Still hope rumours of his departure are untrue and he's given a 2nd year. v WestHam he delivered one of the performances of the season.

- an obvious, glaring, infuriating weakness of the squad.
Theoretical existing additions: Campbell - not done enough, Afobe - another season spoilt by injury, Miyaichi - also injury hit (could maybe offer replacement for/competition with Gervinho?), Gnabry is a winger rather than a CF - like him but expect a season on loan, Akpom and Ansah the proper striking prospects expect loans for them.

We need a striker, a straight to the first team striker. Obviously Wenger pulled a rabbit out of a hat with Anelka but normally you have to pay if you want somebody in that position. Cavani, Lewandoski, Falcao will probably go to clubs with deeper pockets (they would be perfect) Neymar I probably don't know well enough - those that have seen him more have expressed deep reservations, he would at least be a big statement. Higuain and Villa have the same quality but are probably seen as the bracket below - I'd still be very happy with either of them. Whoever we buy it will take them a certain amount of time to assimilate (which is why we should have pushed the boat out in the winter). If we lose Pod we need to promote Miyaichi/Gnabry AND buy another forward IMO

In short, we have a good squad badly lacking a striker.
As well as that I'd like to see more tactical variation from the manager ( :lol: ).
Verminator in a new position or somebody else to do that.
A backup goalie.
Bellerin/Jenks to hit the ground running or a new RB
That isn't that much to ask is it...?

highburyJD

Re: squad for 2013/14 good enough?

Post by highburyJD »

oops forgot Chamakh (guessing he's off)
also forgot Park, Denilson ,Bendtner and Santos - they're also off
wage bill is going to be much relieved...

REB

Post by REB »

new manager

new striker

rid of the deadwood

im happy :mrgreen:

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

Reb is 100% the same as me
(I just want Wenger to be the different manager)

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

I think that there is a platform to build on this year without the will he stay/won't he stay of summers past. I am also optimistic about the past 10 games being that we have defended pretty well during that spell. Could Bould finally be allowed to coach? However, we have lacked a bit going forward.

I'd like to see new holding midfielder, new first choice RB (don't want any more kids unless they are good enough to displace 2nd choice RB's), new first choice striker, a new first choice wide-man - competition for Chesney (not Fabianski). The only out-goings for me would be the obvious - Arshavin, Chamakh, Squillachi, possible Gervinho (providing that we replace him with quality), Sagna (think that he needs to be replaced now after 2 leg breaks, still good, but think Jenks can give solid competition now).

Won't speculate on the manager because we all know that Wenger will be here next year.

I know that we have been here before, but this summer and with Wenger in the last year of his contract encourages me that he will finally spend.

Steve_I

Post by Steve_I »

Whilst Sagna seems to be written off as a RB by some I think he could move inside quite easily, and given the brief glimpse we had of him in that role against sunderland, it would certainly not be a bad thing imo.

Outside of that I'm with JD on most other points.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I don't think it's his ability that's written off - Sagna has had a woeful second half of the season but I don't believe he's suddenly lost all (considerable) ability. I think the real issue is he doesn't really want to be here any more (and this imo has shown)

I wouldn't buy a "back-up" for Szczesny. Time for him to prove he's good enough to be our number 1 by earning the jersey and not being protected and given it by lack of competitors. Any keeper brought in should be done so on level-footing with Szczesny.

Defenders I'm actually not fussed about centre-halves because our tactics are far more important the individuals we have in those positions. If we sort ourselves out Kos and BFG could form the bedrock of a pretty good defence, but if we continue to neglect defensive coaching and tactics then we could make the likes of Kompany look very average. Presuming Sagna is off then I wouldn't be comfortable with relying on Jenkinson to play 40+ games with a youth-team centre-mid drafted in as cover. Full-backs are genuinely quite cheap, especially if you're willing to look short-term. Happy with our options at left-back - I've been quite impressed with Monreal and hopefully Gibbs can find some kind of fitness.

I think we do need a DM still, especially if we persist with this system. Arteta has done a great job since joining us but he's too slow for that position and he's more of a deep-lying playmaker than a defensive mid. Aside from that I think re-jigging positions would be most beneficial. Stop playing Cazorla out wide and view Podolski primarily as a striker. Walcott and Ox are both inconsistent but between them offer strong cover for the right wing. I'd like to see a new left-winger as Gervinho is cack and I'm not a fan of using Podolski or Cazorla there regularly, although arguably between them two, Rosicky if fit and Chamberlain if needed we could get by on what we've got (and undoubtedly will).

Definitely need a top-class striker. Our system depends on it and in any event we won't challenge for big things if we don't have one. Realistically we'll continue to persist with 4-5-1 so I think one new striker then supplemented by Podolski and Giroud as other options would suffice.

To summarise I would like to see signings at GK, RB, DM, LM and CF, and most importantly a new formation and approach to tactics (i.e. a new manager!). To try and add a hint of reality to it I have to accept we're not going to ditch the system and mindset and change half the team. So I'd be happy if we signed, as a priority, a top-class centre-forward, a genuine DM and a goalkeeper (in that order).

mikeyb772001
Location: Block 6! Drunk and standing next to a mad man with no clothes on!

Post by mikeyb772001 »

I agree with JD for once

Based on the defensive record of Mert and Kos we look good at the back. Though a new right back would be good and also a keeper or better still a new keeper coach

Our strikers are fucking average at best. Giroud and Pod with 11 prem goals each!!!!!

Robin van Persie 25 Manchester United
2 Luis Suarez 23 Liverpool
3 Gareth Bale 20 Tottenham Hotspur
4 Christian Benteke 19 Aston Villa great scouting network we have
5 Michu 18 Swansea City - First season eh
6 Demba Ba 15 Chelsea
6 Frank Lampard 15 Chelsea from midfield and the bench
8 Dimitar Berbatov 14 Fulham
8 Edin Dzeko 14 Manchester City from the bench
8 Theo Walcott 14 Arsenal
8 Rickie Lambert 14 Southampton - ricky fucking lambert!!!!!!!!!
8 Romelu Lukaku 14 West Bromwich Albion from the bench often
13 Santi Cazorla 12 Arsenal
13 Sergio Agüero 12 Manchester City
13 Wayne Rooney 12 Manchester United
16 Carlos Tévez 11 Manchester City
16 Lukas Podolski 11 Arsenal
16 Jermain Defoe 11 Tottenham Hotspur - from the bench
16 Steven Fletcher 11 Sunderland - yep fletcher
16 Marouane Fellaini 11 Everton
16 Olivier Giroud 11 Arsenal
16 Daniel Sturridge 11 Liverpool
16 Arouna Koné 11 Wigan Athletic
16 Adam Le Fondre 11 Reading - yes Le Fondre from the bench

On par with Le fondre , Kone , Fletcher, Defoe

We need to get rid of these 2 sharpish. Sell Pod back to Germany as he doesn’t suit our squad and giroud needs to go before he turns as shit as cham!

The amount of games I saw Giroud miss sitters to win games is unreal. Were talking about being 12-15 points better off

MM99

Post by MM99 »

Considering Podolski played almost all his games on the left wing that's not a bad tally. Although neither him nor Giroud are good enough to be leading the line on their own, if we were to get a world class striker in along side those two we could have a real chance of challenging for the league. Of course this means actually spending large money and changing formation which we all know won't happen....

Blood_Gooner

Post by Blood_Gooner »

1st thing we need is a fresh, energised, hungry and ambitious manager.

He should then immediately be tasked with overhauling the squad, slagging off the known dross (Diaby, Chamakh, Bendtner, Squillaci, Djourou, Arshavin, Park....feel free to fill in any I've missed here).

A proper goalie is a must; I like that Guzan kid. Kos and Mert seem to be forming a formiddable duo at CB. A Sagna replacement required on the right. Gibbs does a fair job at LFB and is a good enough shout providing he avoids injuries.

In midfield, we need a proper DM AfuckingSAP. Was always a glaring problem but Lord Maggoo never ever sees the obvious now, does he? Instead he a appointed a pointless Arteta to the ranks. A man who can't defend and frequently gives away silly fouls in dangerous areas around the 18 yard box. He also offers nothing going forward as all he mainly does is complete 5 yards lateral and back passes. As for Ramsey, nothing to be said about him except he's utter shit and we must get a real footballer to start where he is. Had to be the biggest joke when he was awarded player of the month off mere sentiments. Shows how far we've sunken really. Jack and Santi are both fantastic players and only need a couple more quality palyers around them for a wankfest type midfield.

For the all important striking department, it's of utmost importance that we get a proper striker in. We should be going all guns blazing for Benteke. Young, tall, strong, skillful, and with even room for improvement on his already great finishing. Giroud is a must get rid and possibly Podolski. I would throw Gervinho into the mix, but technically, he's better than the rest, and with some good coaching, his shooting/finishing can improve and he could then be a useful fucker up top. As for Walcott, his raw pace and a great strike makes him a fair keep. He also can get better with proper coaching.

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

WTF Arteta 'pointless' !?!
Agree with some of the sentiment that post but that undermines it

BTW think Guzan is nearly 30 not old for a goalie but not a kid

Blood_Gooner

Post by Blood_Gooner »

highburyJD wrote:WTF Arteta 'pointless' !?!
Agree with some of the sentiment that post but that undermines it

BTW think Guzan is nearly 30 not old for a goalie but not a kid
In goalie terms, under 30 is still a kid, imo ie.

And yes, Arteta is pointless. What the hell does he offer to the team? He can't properly tackle/defend, and he's not that bridge between our defence and attack minded players. He's pointless, and with players like him and Ramsey being a staple in the starting line up, I can't se us being competitive enough to bother the mancs and the chavs. Plus we have a potential usurper scum team hot on our heals which further underscores the need to have proper players in key areas.

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

late 20s goalie, 8-10 years left, still isn't 'a kid' (and plenty of goalies don't even last that young)

I understand people who want our deepest midfielder to be either more physical, or more direct - selecting long range passes more often ('quarterback')
but to claim Arteta is 'pointless' for doing the job he's asked to, very well, is plain ridiculous
the manager wants us to play a certain way
our deepest pivot's job is perpetual availability and quick short passing, same job that Bousquets does for Barca,
Arteta is one of the very best there is at that particular role

either complain about the system, or pay more attention, there's no doubt that Tets is far from pointless

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

As far as the squad is concerned get rid of, in no particular order,

Flapper,Squillaci,Chamakh,Mannone,Arshavin,Rosicky,Djourou,Forehead,Miquel(he's been here too long, obviously not good enough)

Draught into the squad from the Academy,

Bellerin,Eisfeld,Gnabry,Meade,Yennaris,Yennaris,Akpbom all should be considered as part of Capital One team with a mix of 1st team in defence.

We need an experienced keeper don't know which but their are a few decent ones available that shouldn't cost more than 8-12million pounds.

Good defensive back up and I'm not 100% sure Ashley Williams fits the bill.

I actually think Chico is better and gave us the most problems when we played them. He's not a tall CB but you don't need to be 7ft tall if you know how to attack the ball and can read the game well.

A genuine holding midfielder.

Ping-pong looks like not ever becoming what his early promise showd and we missed the boat on DeJong.

I actually think the initial idea last summer of buying Vertonghen and changing his position would have been excellent if we'd pulled it off last year. I think that's where he'll end up playing.

A name that got mentioned last year and would be a good buy is Paulinho. This guy is good and is more in the Gilberto(Silva not the shite scum one)mode of CM than Luiz. He's 25 so not a young kid coming over. He wants to come to Europe and we've scouted him so know about him....failing that a cheeky f**king bid for Sandro. :twisted: He is the one player in the scum team I would love to have and before anyone says it, we can't afford the ape.

We need 2 more strikers as, if we get rid of all the players I mentioned we'd be down to 2.

For me Benteke would be class for holding the ball up and is an absolute beast in the penalty area.

Jovetic has a decent goal scoring record but seems to be another player that relys heavily on confidence which is why he hasn't scored for ages and the Fiorentina crowd have turned against him.....sound familiar :rubchin:

Villa is older and injury prone and his wages are too high,Michu may be a one season wonder but if he goes for about 10million, I think it's a gamble worth taking considering Forehead was 12million :banghead: :banghead:

IF AW continues to let SB take the defensive training as he must have been doing the last few weeks, then that team would be good enough to challenge PROPERLY and go for a domestic cup. That squad would go very far in the Europa league as well.

Tomáš

Post by Tomáš »

highburyJD wrote: with Klopp leaving maybe Piszczek is gettable? He's class
Klopp is not leaving at least until 2016 :!: Why should he :?: