Worst Arsenal squad of the century?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

worst arsenal squad of the century?

2012/13
39%
2011/12
39%
2005/06
4%
Other?
17%

Total votes: 23

spendsum4uckingmoney

Worst Arsenal squad of the century?

Post by spendsum4uckingmoney »

This year many have floated the term. Technically it definitely has been weak. However, I don't think this was the worst arsenal squad. IMO that goes to the 05/06 season (yes the cl finalist season). We lost, and lost, and lost. Its hard to believe how much we lost that season. Every away game was like a cl final to man UTD, even if was just Wigan. It was truly pathetic and depressing. At least this year we showed some backbone. If we were ever a 1 man team it was 2005/06.

Boro, westbrom,bolton, Newcastle,Everton, Blackburn

We lost to all them it was absolutely pathetic.

2011_12 wasn't great but I can sympathise because of the circumstances and how incompetent the club was run in the summer. Getting 3rd that year is no joke the greatest achievement Wenger ever had. We had no fullbacks for half the season.

So what's the worst arsenal squad?

northbank123

Re: Worst Arsenal squad of the century?

Post by northbank123 »

So the one more point the team in 06/07 amassed justifies them being better than the 05/06 team who put in by a mile our best ever performance in the CL, including a record defensive run despite Senderos, Eboue and Flamini being back 4 regulars? Not a chance. Yes 05/06 was a huge culture shock after years of domestic competitiveness and our away form was awful but the CL run was brilliant, unlike the following season which was over after our defeat v PSV in Feb.

I think this year's squad is certainly more balanced than last year's - although we've played more than our fair share of dire football and suffered embarrassing defeats this season, we have also established some fundamental traits that were missing last season. I'm trying not to gloss over the travesties of this season and our cup exits and record against the top 6 is a joke, but last season we were a directionless, clueless football team with a striker that could pull goals out of his arse. I think we are a lot more capable of kicking on (not that we'll spend the money) now than we were a year ago.

The squad in 2007 is the one that underperformed the most looking at the CL run the previous season and the performance the following season - looking at the team last 2 seasons I'd say we've not been far off where you'd expect for a squad of this quality. But I can't in all honesty say that that squad was weaker than last season. 2012 for me.

Peeman

Post by Peeman »

The 2005/06 squad had Dennis, Henry, Sol, Cole, Super Bob, Freddie, Reyes, van Persie, Fabregas to name a few.

Pretty decent squad IMO.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Peeman wrote:The 2005/06 squad had Dennis, Henry, Sol, Cole, Super Bob, Freddie, Reyes, van Persie, Fabregas to name a few.

Pretty decent squad IMO.
Agreed. No way in my opinion what we have now is better than that 05/06 squad. They're not even close.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

last season was worse. rvp literally carried the team on his back, and rosicky added some help at the end. this season we added cazorla and poldolski...walcott improved, kos and mert improved, which made up for the phenomenal season rvp had.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

This season just gone because for the first time in a long time we didn't have a single world class, get into any side in the world player. It was just a depressingly long slog.

exiledgooner

Post by exiledgooner »

I was not a big fan of the 2007/2008 line up with the likes of Almunia, Gallas, Hleb, Adebayor, Denilson, Eboue and Song. Despite the good start I felt nothing for most of that team. Gallas at St Andrew's was embarrassing and should have been driven out of the club and the way they collapsed show Wenger's talk of mental strength to be the bullshit we have since grown accustomed to

We croaked in the Premier League, croaked in the League Cup, croaked in the FA Cup and croaked in the Champions League...

augie

Post by augie »

Last seasons squad was fractionally worse than this one but the team of them are by far the worst squads we have had since the squad GG inherited :( Every season in between we had at least 3 or 4 players that clubs would love to sign but we have no players left from that top level :cry: I know that the question relates to squads as opposed to individual players but lets be honest here and admit that one of our bigger gripes in recent seasons has been the lack of ability outside our first 12 or 13 players ?

Post by 1989 »

2008/2009 should be up there. Our center back options were a washed up Gallas, a fat Kolo Toure, Silvestre and Djourou. In goal we had Almunia first choice and Flappy as back up. Clichy and Traore left back. Sagna and Eboue right back. Denilson and Song started most of the games in our midfield. Na$ri had just joined and was settling in. We had a half-arsed Adepaymore upfront for the majority of the season backed up by fucking Bendtner. Cesc missed half the season with injury and he was basically the only midfielder worth his salt at the club that year. I think JVP had a rare injury-free season that year and helped us along with new signing Arshavin to overhaul Aston Villa and finish in the top 4. Walcott was still shit that year also and Rosicky was in the middle of his 2 year lay off and so too Eduardo. Fucking dire.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

exiledgooner wrote:I was not a big fan of the 2007/2008 line up with the likes of Almunia, Gallas, Hleb, Adebayor, Denilson, Eboue and Song. Despite the good start I felt nothing for most of that team. Gallas at St Andrew's was embarrassing and should have been driven out of the club and the way they collapsed show Wenger's talk of mental strength to be the bullshit we have since grown accustomed to

We croaked in the Premier League, croaked in the League Cup, croaked in the FA Cup and croaked in the Champions League...
Denilson and Song barely played that season in the league. I don't have particularly fond memories of Gallas or Adebayor but at least we actually managed to get far enough into the PL and CL to choke!

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

exiledgooner wrote:I was not a big fan of the 2007/2008 line up with the likes of Almunia, Gallas, Hleb, Adebayor, Denilson, Eboue and Song. Despite the good start I felt nothing for most of that team. Gallas at St Andrew's was embarrassing and should have been driven out of the club and the way they collapsed show Wenger's talk of mental strength to be the bullshit we have since grown accustomed to

In 2007/08 we came closest to winning the title than any Arsenal team since 2004.We led the table for 5 months.Only Wengers failure to strengthen in january cost us. Our present squad is out of the title race on the first day of the season

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I take it the padded cell and white coats have been ordered for the one guy voting for the squad that contained Cole, Henry, Bergkamp, Fabregas, Pires, Van Persie, Campbell, Reyes and Ljungberg

Those useless fuckers weren't a patch on Santos, Le Chapman, Forehead and Ramsey clearly

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

erm....the 1975-76 side and pretty much every team before Herbert Chapman turned up....

Clash

Post by Clash »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:erm....the 1975-76 side and pretty much every team before Herbert Chapman turned up....
erm ... all those were in a different century to the one in question :)

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

I thought he meant 1913-2013.

8) fuck you people