If we make only one big signing will you be satisfied?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will One Relatively Big Signing Be Enough?

1. Yes - It's Better Than Nothing
No votes
2. No - We Desperately Need More Than One
91%
3. Depends Who Else We Sign
9%

Total votes: 56

Re: If Higuain is the only big signing will you be satisfied

Post by 1989 »

No! I expect us to be right up there next season challenging for the highest honors, and for that to happen only Higuain as an addition wouldn't be anywhere near enough. Must also sign a powerful box-to-box midfielder (Fellaini, Bender), a goalkeeper (Cesar) and a young center back to be 4th choice as Djourou's replacement (Zouma or that Croatian kid). Possibly another attacking midfielder/winger too, to replace Forehead.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Since 2009, I've held the belief that it's not about who we bring in, but about the dead wood that needs to go.

As it stands, I'd keep Koscielny, Arteta, Wilshere, Cazorla, Podolski and Oxlade-Chamberlain and clear out the rest, to start afresh.

The rest are good enough to achieve top four, but aren't Arsenal standard in the grand scheme of things. Fuck, even some of those mentioned above aren't true Arsenal standard, if there even is such a thing anymore.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

VoiceOfReason wrote:Since 2009, I've held the belief that it's not about who we bring in, but about the dead wood that needs to go.

As it stands, I'd keep Koscielny, Arteta, Wilshere, Cazorla, Podolski and Oxlade-Chamberlain and clear out the rest, to start afresh.

The rest are good enough to achieve top four, but aren't Arsenal standard in the grand scheme of things. Fuck, even some of those mentioned above aren't true Arsenal standard, if there even is such a thing anymore.
So you'd want us to sell 20 odd players and have to buy an entire new squad? Really?

Could use a number of examples - but taking Monreal, who has imo been impressive and at least solid since he joined a few months ago, you'd ship him out?

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

northbank123 wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:Since 2009, I've held the belief that it's not about who we bring in, but about the dead wood that needs to go.

So you'd want us to sell 20 odd players and have to buy an entire new squad? Really?

Could use a number of examples - but taking Monreal, who has imo been impressive and at least solid since he joined a few months ago, you'd ship him out?
I think if we seriously want to challenge for the title, and be taken as a proper club once again, then yes, 75% of our players aren't fit for purpose.

Monreal has looked okay, but it seems we're now judging players as good purely because they aren't as bad as previous options. He looks like he could do a decent job, but he's still yet to be proven, so I wouldn't automatically assume he's the right man for the job. I'd sooner go out and buy an established right-back who's proven himself and doesn't have question marks over his head.

As I say, the squad is decent enough for top-four football, but if you have ambitions higher than that, then I really think we need to start from scratch. The fact that we lose nearly all games against Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea isn't just a coincidence; yet the current squad is clearly better than Fulham's, Stoke's and so on - that's why we're stuck at a Groundhog Day in which we make no progress or decline. What we need is a squad that can challenge those top three sides, and it's just not going to happen so long as players like Ramsey, Giroud and Gervinho are lingering around.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

I agree that many automatically took to our Spanish left back purely because he wasn't Santos!! I also have had my doubts about Monreal's defensive ability after watching him for both us and Spain (especially at the price paid). However, I'm willing to give him the customary 'settling in' period before making a definitive judgement. The one good thing that has come out of his signing is that it appears that Gibbs has lifted his game (due to the competition?) and looked a lot more defensively solid towards the end of last season than he had previously. 8)

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
northbank123 wrote:

I think if we seriously want to challenge for the title, and be taken as a proper club once again, then yes, 75% of our players aren't fit for purpose.

Monreal has looked okay, but it seems we're now judging players as good purely because they aren't as bad as previous options. He looks like he could do a decent job, but he's still yet to be proven, so I wouldn't automatically assume he's the right man for the job. I'd sooner go out and buy an established right-back who's proven himself and doesn't have question marks over his head.

As I say, the squad is decent enough for top-four football, but if you have ambitions higher than that, then I really think we need to start from scratch. The fact that we lose nearly all games against Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea isn't just a coincidence; yet the current squad is clearly better than Fulham's, Stoke's and so on - that's why we're stuck at a Groundhog Day in which we make no progress or decline. What we need is a squad that can challenge those top three sides, and it's just not going to happen so long as players like Ramsey, Giroud and Gervinho are lingering around.
Can understand you thinking Monreal isn't a top left-back but I can't agree that he's not good enough to be a squad player in a title-winning side. You don't need 25 class players to win the league, fuck me look at some of the back-up options United have and they've amassed 89 points the last two years. Monreal is no worse than Buttner.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

I'd personally add Mert and Rosicky to the keep list. But agree with the rest.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

I Hate Hleb wrote:I agree that many automatically took to our Spanish left back purely because he wasn't Santos!! I also have had my doubts about Monreal's defensive ability after watching him for both us and Spain (especially at the price paid). However, I'm willing to give him the customary 'settling in' period before making a definitive judgement. The one good thing that has come out of his signing is that it appears that Gibbs has lifted his game (due to the competition?) and looked a lot more defensively solid towards the end of last season than he had previously. 8)
Doubts about Monreal?

He hasn't had an awful game in an Arsenal shirt since he signed.He's one of them players who does a job quietly without too much fuss.

I like Monreal, I'd pick him over Gibbs half the time.

Saying that, Gibbs did step up. We've got two good LB's (for a change).

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
I Hate Hleb wrote:I agree that many automatically took to our Spanish left back purely because he wasn't Santos!! I also have had my doubts about Monreal's defensive ability after watching him for both us and Spain (especially at the price paid). However, I'm willing to give him the customary 'settling in' period before making a definitive judgement. The one good thing that has come out of his signing is that it appears that Gibbs has lifted his game (due to the competition?) and looked a lot more defensively solid towards the end of last season than he had previously. 8)
Doubts about Monreal?

He hasn't had an awful game in an Arsenal shirt since he signed.He's one of them players who does a job quietly without too much fuss.

I like Monreal, I'd pick him over Gibbs half the time.

Saying that, Gibbs did step up. We've got two good LB's (for a change).
Did you forget QPR away? :rubchin: There have also been a couple of other games where although not awful or responsible for giving away a goal, his defensive positioning and decision making haven't been up to what I would expect given his age and reputation.

augie

Post by augie »

northbank123 wrote:

Can understand both sides of this argument tbh - many times in recent seasons I too have wanted a total rebuild but to implement that policy then the rebuild would have to start with management and as we all know, that isn't happening any time soon :cry: :evil: The simple fact remains that we have a manager that is too close to his players to the point that he cant see the woods from the tree's - look at the loyalty he has shown shite like almunia, denilson, song etc when anyone with half a football brain could see that they simply are not good enough :oops:
With the departures of cesc and rvp went any attachment I had with players in recent seasons - I know that there are players within our squad that could be top quality but I'm not sure I give a shit if any/all of them transfer out anymore :( I no longer feel that these players represent me cos by and large there is a woeful lack of passion, guts, belief and absolute commitment so would selling most of this squad really be much of a blow ? We haven't been winning trophies and we haven't been really challenging for trophies so it isn't as if we would be breaking up a successful squad or anything :roll:

North-Bank-1987

Post by North-Bank-1987 »

augie wrote: I no longer feel that these players represent me cos by and large there is a woeful lack of passion, guts, belief and absolute commitment so would selling most of this squad really be much of a blow ? We haven't been winning trophies and we haven't been really challenging for trophies so it isn't as if we would be breaking up a successful squad or anything :roll:
Couldn't agree more, I don't feel any representation from these players, the only players I would keep if we were to completely rebuild are Santi, Jack, Feo, Kos, superman, and Oxy. The rest are average or unproven. Even the players listed I don't feel represent me though, that's going to take a good few years to build up the memory bank of unforgettable moments from these guys. That's if we don't sell 'em in the mean time. :banghead:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Higgy's not joining
Fellaini's not joining
Rooney's not joining
Jovetic's not joining
Villa's not joining

err....Aurier might be joining

North-Bank-1987

Post by North-Bank-1987 »

SteveO 35 wrote:Higgy's not joining
Fellaini's not joining
Rooney's not joining
Jovetic's not joining
Villa's not joining

err....Aurier might be joining

Aurier! That would be out of this world! :lol:

"ONE ARSENE WENGER!" :barscarf: :lol:

jrthgooner

Post by jrthgooner »

The fact we are wrangling over a few million to secure Williams from Swansea says it all for me, he has proven himself to be a reliable defender and as it is an area we need back up in just go and get him (surely at £3-£4m more than an unproven Croation kid he is value for money?) and start a proper rebuilding job.

Sadly I fear Wenger will just try (along with the board) to satisfy us with the Higuain signing only as a proven player and continue the "this boy is one for the future" line with are other signings.

We have the cash and desperately need it splashed on quality players and not just bodies as our rivals will be spending again

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I Hate Hleb wrote:I've added a poll. 8)

I think you single-handedly saved this thread Hlebby! :high5: :barscarf: