HIGHBURY

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
chyren1

Re: HIGHBURY

Post by chyren1 »

Ryanswannell wrote:Unfortunately, only being 18 never got to see Highbury in person on a matchday :cry:. I feel that I have missed out on so much, as I now have to sit in a stadium (although it is a beautiful design) packed full of many passionless "supporters" controlled by stewards disapproving of any noise :banghead:.
It could be worse..

I only went once to highbury
In the Chelsea section,free ticket from a Chelsea colleague..
For the champions league in 2004

Wayne bridge ,
I ll hate you forever :evil:
We would have won it I think

And being amongst that lot celebrating .. :censored: :censored:

I still feel dirty :|

REB

Post by REB »

SoreSack wrote:
Ryanswannell wrote:Unfortunately, only being 18 never got to see Highbury in person on a matchday :cry:. I feel that I have missed out on so much, as I now have to sit in a stadium (although it is a beautiful design) packed full of many passionless "supporters" controlled by stewards disapproving of any noise :banghead:.
same here :cry:

saw this on twitter

mind = BLOWN :shock:

against rangers in only the second ever floodlight game. I love that picture 8)

Cockerill's chin
Location: Found the transfer fund... in Bendtner/Diaby/Denilson's pockets

Post by Cockerill's chin »

Cheers for sharing Reb. A great Sunday morning read :barscarf:

chyren1

Post by chyren1 »

Cockerill's chin wrote:Cheers for sharing Reb. A great Sunday morning read :barscarf:
Absolutely
Thank you :barscarf:

REB

Post by REB »

cheers guys, all of us at a certain age still miss the old ground don't we, my first visit was 1980 and I sat in the west stand with my dad, took me a few years to go to the northbank but loved it ,one of my fav memories was the day ian wright broke the scoring record and he milked the crowd that day, all 4 stands singing his name :D

Basil is a Gooner

Post by Basil is a Gooner »

So what do you make of this?
These are up at the turnstiles around the stadium.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Basil is a Gooner wrote:So what do you make of this?
These are up at the turnstiles around the stadium.

How can a 7 year old ground be "The Home of Football" ???

Leedsgooner1

Post by Leedsgooner1 »

Great stuff, thanks for sharing..

I was fortunate to attend plenty of games at Highbury from the mid seventies onwards & as much as the Emirates is a fantastic stadium i still miss walking on to that North Bank big time...Happy days they were

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

I went to Highbury on a few occasions none of which on a match day. Something that breaks my heart to this day. It is a stadium I do truly miss though, it oozed class, style and sophistication. It was a stadium to be proud of. It was a true football GROUND, something we will never have again..

I prefer to call Highbury a ground instead of a stadium because in my mind a stadium is what we have now and what we have now can never compare to Highbury. North, East, South and West replaced by sections in corporate oval which represents everything with what is wrong with modern day Arsenal.

I don't think Ashburton Grove is an ugly stadium by any means, and I am looking through Highbury eyes, because, although I never went to a game at Highbury, it is STILL home of the Arsenal, home of football, the place where legends of the game pulled on the famous red and white and busted their bollocks because walked onto that Highbury pitch was an honour bestowed onto you not a right the players now days think they should have.

This is also a nice article to read about Highury and Chapman -
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/wha ... d-highbury

Leedsgooner1

Post by Leedsgooner1 »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote: This is also a nice article to read about Highury and Chapman -
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/wha ... d-highbury
I hope it's Herbert & not Lee :shock:

Number 5

Post by Number 5 »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
I prefer to call Highbury a ground instead of a stadium because in my mind a stadium is what we have now and what we have now can never compare to Highbury. North, East, South and West replaced by sections in corporate oval which represents everything with what is wrong with modern day Arsenal.
No its not, its a stadium. :-P

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031055/

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Just heard this Johnny Cash song on the radio and it reminded me of this youtube clip that was posted a while back. The combination of the haunting song and photos is really powerful. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7whJO_CnZJU