The birthday and Xmas present for all Gooners, Bergkamp Book

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Chippy

Re: God shares his story with man (Dennis Bergkamp Autobiog)

Post by Chippy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Chippy wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:OhmyGodOhmyGodOhmyGodOhmyGod!!! :barscarf: 8) :barscarf: 8)

And lo, God did deem it right to speaketh unto the peoples of the Earth.
For someone who claims to read all the threads how did you miss this?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36619

I've merged the 2.

Didn't miss it. Thought this was a better thread! 8) :wink:
It was 2 days earlier. You could have merged it and changed the title too. Do you want some training? :wink:

rodders999

Re: The birthday and Xmas present for all gooners

Post by rodders999 »

Spot on Hlebby, I'm mixing up Filbert Street with Roker Park in my ever declining mind.

I'm pretty sure there was something more to that celebration along the lines of the players were censored for speaking out about something the week before so he was mimicking being gagged.

Just something that's in the back of my head, could be wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyTjpNhG2L8

Absolute genius.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:Which of my retarded mod colleagues merged this and not only took it off sticky but fucked the title? :roll: :banghead: :box:

I work with gobshites. :roll: :|

:wink:
:rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin: Yes, I see your problem so many to choose from ! :proudtosay: :lol: :wink:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

The key excerpt from the book:

Bergkamp recalled -

" And if I didn't play I was angry with [Wenger] until I played and then it was OK. Sometimes we really fell out with each other. He used statistics on me and one time I said to him: 'Where in your statistics does it say that I changed the game with a killer pass?' And he'd say: 'You run less in the last 30 minutes and you're more at risk of getting injured, and your pace is dropping.' That was his thing. 'You're dropping pace.' Which I was. No problem. 'But then again I'm the one who can make a difference for you, so...' and sometimes we fell out about that and he [Wenger] would say: 'You think only of yourself.' So I was the bad one!"

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

QuartzGooner wrote:The key excerpt from the book:

Bergkamp recalled -

" And if I didn't play I was angry with [Wenger] until I played and then it was OK. Sometimes we really fell out with each other. He used statistics on me and one time I said to him: 'Where in your statistics does it say that I changed the game with a killer pass?' And he'd say: 'You run less in the last 30 minutes and you're more at risk of getting injured, and your pace is dropping.' That was his thing. 'You're dropping pace.' Which I was. No problem. 'But then again I'm the one who can make a difference for you, so...' and sometimes we fell out about that and he [Wenger] would say: 'You think only of yourself.' So I was the bad one!"
Yeah saw this along with a few other fairly interesting excerpts in the paper today

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

QuartzGooner wrote:The key excerpt from the book:

Bergkamp recalled -

Fucking statistics. The idiots mantra. :oops: :banghead:

How can anyone judge a player of Bergkamp's genius against stats about running? For fucks sake. :roll: That old stats bollocks might be (slightly) relevent to a box to box runner like Flamoney or Vieira purely in a "they are now obviously exhausted, take them off" format but to substitute a man that can pop the ball into the top corner from 30 yards or split a defence with an inch perfect pass, because he runs a bit less in the last 30 minutes??!!! Fucking moronic. :roll: :x

augie

Re: The birthday and Xmas present for all Gooners, Bergkamp

Post by augie »

Dennis Bergkamp......THE most wonderfully gifted player to play for The Arsenal.....EVER :barscarf:

Over the years I have witnessed and worshipped many great players at AFC but none as much as Bergkamp (although PV4 and TA6 arent far behind 8) ). What the man could do with the ball was unbelievable and was football from another galaxy. With the greatest respect to TH14 I do honestly feel that he wouldnt have been half the player he was without Dennis - over time his record goalscoring might last longer than we will on this earth but as DB10 says, stats never tell the full story and are for c***s that need stats to fully understand and appreciate the game, but for the rest of us I think we can agree that no player we have ever had or will have in our club will ever be fit to lace the boots of the great Dutchman 8)

Will absolutely be getting it for my kindle :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bergkamp for me was/is the greatest ever Arsenal player. 8) We've had a good few top top quality players (Brady, Pires, Armstrong, Rocky, Henry, Vieira, Adams, the list goes on and on!) but Bergkamp is the greatest. EVER. 8) 8)

Just bought his book on my break and I can tell you the missus and kids can get the fuck out of the house for a couple days! :lol: Can't wait to read it. 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

augie wrote:Dennis Bergkamp......THE most wonderfully gifted player to play for The Arsenal.....EVER :barscarf:

Over the years I have witnessed and worshipped many great players at AFC but none as much as Bergkamp (although PV4 and TA6 arent far behind 8) ). What the man could do with the ball was unbelievable and was football from another galaxy. With the greatest respect to TH14 I do honestly feel that he wouldnt have been half the player he was without Dennis - over time his record goalscoring might last longer than we will on this earth but as DB10 says, stats never tell the full story and are for c***s that need stats to fully understand and appreciate the game, but for the rest of us I think we can agree that no player we have ever had or will have in our club will ever be fit to lace the boots of the great Dutchman 8)

Will absolutely be getting it for my kindle :barscarf:
I recall a number of interviews that TH14 did for the various Arsenal DVD's and he always was very adamant that Bergkamp was the (in his opinion) the greatest player ever to play for Arsenal...and he knew he could just run into the box and Bergkamp would put the ball at his feet. ...Also TH14's favourite goal of all time - out of anyone - was Bergkamps 'Magical' goal against the toon.....THAT was 'Absolute Genius....because ONLY a Genius could pull that off.

FACT. :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Post by 1989 »

He's the most gifted player to have ever played for us but the best? Not for me, that would be Thierry.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Both "Legends". I am just glad I was around at the time they played in the same team AND for MY Team, so I can tell my Grandchildren I was there and watched both Denis Bergkamp and Thierry Henry play on the same pitch in the same (Invincible) team week in, week out....<sigh>.

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I've just bought it for Mrs SteveO as an anniversary present......I'm an old romantic

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

Put my request in for this for a Xmas present off family, haven't read any of the serialised bits in the papers so look forward to(hopefully) getting it this Xmas. :D

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

I bought a copy this morning from W.H. Smiths,£15.99.
However,if you have a mate who is thinking about buying one as well,they have an offer on,any two for £20,so you could get it for a tenner each.Unfortunately,the Gooner mates of mine I suggested it to,either didn't want to read it :shock: ,or didn't want to pay to read it!!!

Batflyer

Post by Batflyer »

I already ordered the Dutch version two months ago. It's got more pages than the English version (544, including photographs). So I also had to pay a little bit more than you guys, about 60 euros...

The book will be out in October in Holland, so I guess I will receive it very soon. :barscarf: