FIFPro Legal Challenge/Scrap Transfer Windows ? [POLL]

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Should the transfer windows be abolished?

YES - Bring back the old system.
38%
NO - Keep the two windows as they are.
23%
CHANGE - Bring in a new system.
35%
NOT SURE
4%

Total votes: 26

QuartzGooner

FIFPro Legal Challenge/Scrap Transfer Windows ? [POLL]

Post by QuartzGooner »

Little known but probably soon to be well known footballer Joe Yoffe is likely to challenge FIFA's Transfer Window system as a restraint of trade.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24209800

Should we revert back to the old system where transfers were only prohibited during the last three months of the season?

Keep the current system?

Or find a new way to administer transfers?

I Hate Hleb

Re: Should the transfer windows be abolished? [POLL]

Post by I Hate Hleb »

The transfer windows aren't perfect but a return to the old system would give the richer clubs even more of an advantage then they already have as they'd be able to buy players all throughout the season, rather than just for a limited period.

Something that might help is a limit on the amount of players allowed to go out on loan, as that would prevent clubs from stock-piling good/promising players in order to prevent rivals from signing them.

Brady's left peg

Post by Brady's left peg »

interesting one this...Hlebby's right in what he says but, I think reverting to the old system might help to stop clubs having to pay way over the top to secure plays before the windows close.
Personally I think you should be able to buy players over the summer break ( window closes at start of new season) and January as it is now, but in addition an emergency rule where a club can loan/sign new players with permission from the FA in event of a major injury crisis.
That should mean we can sign players all season long. :barscarf:

Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

Keep it as it is. This way managers and players can solely concentrate on football when the window is shut. Managers don't have to worry about players leaving and there is stability. And imagine how long the Bale saga would have been without the transfer window :shock:

Also without a transfer deadline, we'd end up signing no one! :oops: :lol: :wink:
Brady's left peg wrote:Personally I think you should be able to buy players over the summer break ( window closes at start of new season) and January as it is now, but in addition an emergency rule where a club can loan/sign new players with permission from the FA in event of a major injury crisis.
I disagree with that. You'd get a lot of mystery injury crises that way.

"And in today's sports news, Chelsea's strikers Fernando Torres, Samuel Eto'o and Demba Ba all suffered long-term injuries after a training ground collision. Chelsea are now preparing to bid for Wayne Rooney."

Brady's left peg

Re:

Post by Brady's left peg »

Red Gunner wrote:Keep it as it is. This way managers and players can solely concentrate on football when the window is shut. Managers don't have to worry about players leaving and there is stability. And imagine how long the Bale saga would have been without the transfer window :shock:

Also without a transfer deadline, we'd end up signing no one! :oops: :lol: :wink:
Brady's left peg wrote:Personally I think you should be able to buy players over the summer break ( window closes at start of new season) and January as it is now, but in addition an emergency rule where a club can loan/sign new players with permission from the FA in event of a major injury crisis.
I disagree with that. You'd get a lot of mystery injury crises that way.

"And in today's sports news, Chelsea's strikers Fernando Torres, Samuel Eto'o and Demba Ba all suffered long-term injuries after a training ground collision. Chelsea are now preparing to bid for Wayne Rooney."
That is why it is only with the FA's permission, like what happens now when players report injured for England duty.
If the FA do not deem the injuries bad enough no emergency transfer. Unless of course your advocating deliberately injuring a player?
That said I wouldn't put anything past the chavs. :barscarf:

Swifty

Post by Swifty »

I think club's should be able to sell at any time, loan in and out at any time, but only buy in their respective season breaks. The 'buying period' shoudl start the day after the last competitive game is played and finish 1 week prior to the first competitive game. This ridiculous situation where teams start playing without finalising their squads is ummm ridiculous.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Swifty wrote:I think club's should be able to sell at any time, loan in and out at any time, but only buy in their respective season breaks. The 'buying period' shoudl start the day after the last competitive game is played and finish 1 week prior to the first competitive game. This ridiculous situation where teams start playing without finalising their squads is ummm ridiculous.
Not much use being able to sell at any time if clubs can only buy during windows :lol:

But I agree about shifting the window - makes more sense to me to have it in the actual break.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

ANYTHING!!! To stop theose bloody endless drivel infested Transfer(less) Window Threads! :D :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

Clubs should be able to buy from the day after their domestic season ends until the day before their next domestic season begins and that is all. 8)

TurnipMasher

Post by TurnipMasher »

I'll support any system which means we don't see this anymore:

spendsum4uckingmoney

Post by spendsum4uckingmoney »

augie wrote:Clubs should be able to buy from the day after their domestic season ends until the day before their next domestic season begins and that is all. 8)
This^^^

It seems absurd that a club can just buy there rivals players halfway through the season. Maybe allow teams to buy foreign players but not from rivals that is absurd.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

augie wrote:Clubs should be able to buy from the day after their domestic season ends until the day before their next domestic season begins and that is all. 8)
This

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Hmmm that might just work, spend the close season on strengthening the team, building a unit, gelling them then play the whole season with what you've got....radical

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

If we brought back the old system we'd have up until next March to get rid of that useless wanker Bendtner and that is reason enough for a change

wibble

Post by wibble »

SteveO 35 wrote:If we brought back the old system we'd have up until next March to get rid of that useless wanker Bendtner and that is reason enough for a change
And just think of the number of pages we could get to on the never ending transfer rumour thread without actually buying anyone :wink: