Sitting in the wrond end

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Leedsgooner1

Re: Sitting in the wrond end

Post by Leedsgooner1 »

Only done it twice & it is not nice,

First time was at the old Dell during the eighties, horrible place & my experience wasn't helped by jumping up & down when we scored :barscarf: as it ended up with me & 3 mates being thrown out (bit harsh)

Second time was in 99 at Elland Road, i had recently moved up to Leeds & got a ticket with the home fans as i couldnt get one for us, nasty experience & to make it worse we lost 1-0..

gunner_ace

Post by gunner_ace »

I had quite a memorable one when I sat in the away end at Highbury with my mouser mate for the 2002 FA cup encounter. I was down in London from Uni for the weekend and fancied going, but couldn't get a ticket for love or money. They my Liverpool supporting mate said she was going and had a drop-out so I could take their ticket. I ended up sat in-front of Liverpools finest council estate rats, I mean these people were so scally they would probably be deemed even to downmarket for Jeremy Kyle, and I knew they were wrong-un's when even their own fans started moving away from them.

From the very kick-off they were ranting on about various less then salubrious activities such as shanking a cockney at Euston, keying every car outside the stadium, doing over an offie etc. It sent a particular chill down my spine when one of them piped up that he had 'brought his mate Stanley' and he was getting introduced to the first cockney that he met on the day.

Anyway onto the game, and it turned out to be quite a fiery encounter where we eventually won 1-0 but not after 3 red cards with DB10 pole-axing one of their players (and an unpunished elbow to the chops), Keown probably doing the same, and Carragher throwing a coin back into the crowd that had just been thrown at him. Of course all of these incidents whipped up my new friends into a frenzy and I just couldn't wait for the full-time whistle to come fast enough.

I must say it was quite a unique experience watching my beloved Arsenal at Highbury through the eyes of an away supporter, but I dare say I wont be doing it again (well definitly not since the away end is now a broom cupboard flat). I topped the day off by meeting / perving over Lisa Rodgers in the boozer afterwords. Result.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Must be even weirder to sit in the away end at a home game.

I remember that FA Cup game - for some reason I can't shake the memory of Riise haring up the touchline when Bergkamp got sent off for trying to stamp on the Scouse Rat before having to trot back tail between legs when Carragher got himself sent off before they even managed to take the free-kick :lol: