Sitting in the wrond end

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Kazza

Sitting in the wrond end

Post by Kazza »

Evening all.

Just wanted to see what some of you thought of buying tickets in the home end for our away games.

I left England in 2000 and don't often get to many games anymore but am over in December so want to make the most of it.

I have done it before (at the Lane) and it wasn't enjoyable but, better than TV...and I made it out alive (just).

So plain stupid or understandable when you only see the Arsenal every few years ?

SteveO 35

Re: Sitting in the wrond end

Post by SteveO 35 »

Understand it completely and something I've done on numerous occasions in different ways.

Must admit its not normally the most enjoyable experience of my life. Last time I did it and we won was in the wrong end at Filbert Street when Peter Taylor took Leicester down and was sat next to one of the Baby Squad mental cases who was going fucking ape when we went 3-0 up and were listening to the travelling Gooners laughing at Akinbiyi and singing There's Only One Peter Taylor. The bloke kept turning to me telling me how much he fucking hated Cockney wankers and I've never been so quiet at football - when Leicester scored a consolation it was all I could do to politely clap :oops:

Sitting in amongst all the corporate wankers at OT watching us somehow escape with only a 1-0 defeat in the first leg of the CL semi a few seasons ago wasn't much better. Not intimidating but surrounded by wankers who could barely find their way to their seats

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

if only jayson still posted, he'd have plenty of stories :mrgreen:

hut160

Post by hut160 »

Ive done it through desperation but dont recommend it, nothing worse than being it the home crowd when we score.
I remember being in the saints crowd just a few seats away from my brethren! and just wanted to jump over the railings and join them.
I swear the couple next to us were gooners as well as noticed a sly fist pump when we scored
sat in with birmingham fans and a bunch of gooners celebrated when we scored behind us. the scenes got pretty ugly
so I will not be doing ot again any time soon

Ryanswannell

Post by Ryanswannell »

I haven't done it, but my best mate (scum fan) sat next to me at the Grove when we played City a few seasons ago. His face was priceless when half the stadium started singing 'stand up if you hate totnumb' :lol: :lol:

Ryanswannell

Post by Ryanswannell »

Double post :oops:

Kazza

Post by Kazza »

That's the problem, if we score you have to stay in your seat while all the travelling Gooners celebrate the goal.

I think I'll take my chances - hopefully, a N.London accent won't stand out too much in the East End :lol:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Sat among victim fans at Anfield for the 0-4 loss a few days after we beat Everton to win the 1997-98 Premiership. My wife travelled over with me , as history tells we played nothing more than a Carling cup team as the FA Cup Final was only a week away. The Victims fans were sickening as they scored. They sang "you're shit and you're champions"... stupid :censored: didn't seem to realise they were playing a reserve team. Hated the experience, not because I couldn't shout for my team but because I had to listen to those idiots ranting on about how great they were.
The traveling Gooners were in great voice throughout, mocking the Scousers up to singing YNWA properly. Came back to Dublin the following day to listen to more shite from plastic 'Pool fans...my hatred of that club stems from moments like that.

hut160

Post by hut160 »

its not only that, its the singing ,chanting and jumping up when we attack, clapping our boys on and all that, you cant do any of that in the home crowd.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Done it at a few inc Ipswich, Norwich, QPR, when needs must but not easy to contain yourself either way when a goal is scored.
Oh and Luton, when we were all banned but approx half the ground were Gooners and Tone got a standing ovation for getting sent off !!
Have also sat in with Away fans at Highbury (Ipswich) whilst wearing a red nike cap, to watch a Carling cup match a few years back - I think Ipswich won from memory :( but I as I now live in Suffolk I was with a few mates so had to sit and take it.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Bradywasking wrote:Sat among victim fans at Anfield for the 0-4 loss a few days after we beat Everton to win the 1997-98 Premiership. My wife travelled over with me , as history tells we played nothing more than a Carling cup team as the FA Cup Final was only a week away. The Victims fans were sickening as they scored. They sang "you're shit and you're champions"... stupid :censored: didn't seem to realise they were playing a reserve team. Hated the experience, not because I couldn't shout for my team but because I had to listen to those idiots ranting on about how great they were. The traveling Gooners were in great voice throughout, mocking the Scousers up to singing YNWA properly. Came back to Dublin the following day to listen to more shite from plastic 'Pool fans...my hatred of that club stems from moments like that.
Exactly - its actually not too bad when you're winning because I can sit there inwardly smirking at all the tossers getting animated, but when you're losing and have to listen to their shite. Honestly when we were getting done at OT in that CL semi, having to behave myself listening to those corporate fuckwits making their plans for the final was about as tough as it gets !

Steve_I

Post by Steve_I »

Once, 1984, at West Ham, lost 3-1. Bloody horrible experience and have never done it since. (thought it might be a laugh, was my pre attendance reasoning) and Sean (mate I was going to go with) didn't turn up and I thought "sod it, it'll be a laugh anyway"... it wasn't. And Sean's a *word censored*

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

i could never do this,

surely it's like going to a wedding, watching all four of your mates taking it in turn to bang the bridesmaid, whilst your left sitting there next to your wife :D :D

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Kazza wrote: Just wanted to see what some of you thought of buying tickets in the home end for our away games.

So plain stupid or understandable when you only see the Arsenal every few years ?
As I spent the first 18 years of my life in the North West of England, I only ever got to see away games and mostly that was in amongst the home fans for the bigger games.

My record was woeful - 9 trips to Anfield (8 defeats, 1 draw, 0 wins :oops: ), 7 trips to Old Trafford (lost them all :oops: ) and 2 trips to Goodison (drew 1, lost 1).

It was only when I started sitting in the away end at Bolton, Blackburn, Boro, Wigan, etc. that I started to see better results.

Anyway, it's never nice being with the wrong fans (especially when you concede - Robbie Folwers 4 mins hat trick was very painful :( ) but if it's the only option, I'd take it every time. It's still watching Arsenal live. 8)

Anyway, enjoy your visit.

Kazza

Post by Kazza »

Thanks for the comments all.
I'll chance it again, sit on my hands and hopefully celebrate in the pub afterwards.

Quick anecdote from my last trip over a couple of years ago.
Like I said, was in with the Spuds at the Lane. We scored and a few lads near me jumped up and celebrated. In seconds, they were mobbed, punched and eventually the stewards turned up and kicked them out.
A few days later, I was in the Clock End (in our end) for the ManU game and a bloke walks by wearing a ManU scarf, bold as brass. Didn't know whether to be pissed off or glad that our support wasn't like the inbreds from down the road.