Happy birthday Wrighty

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
donaldo

Happy birthday Wrighty

Post by donaldo »

He's 50 today

The most over-used word in sport is legend.Not in the case of Wrighty though.Legend doesnt do him justice.He's Arsenal career only started when he was 28!!!!.A true all time great.288 games 185 goals

Happy birthday Wrighty

http://youtu.be/CKxqf4m73Kk

markyp

Re: Happy birthday Wrighty

Post by markyp »

yes indeed true legend,the best CF in the country in his time bar none,for me he was every bit as good as Henry,and one thing Wrighty could do was score a goal when we desperately needed one,ive always felt that those two chances in the CL final that Henry fluffed had it been Wrighty one of those at least would have been despatched,HAPPY BIRTHDAY :barscarf:

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

A legend indeed, he was my idol as a kid as I just loved his attitude.

Many happy returns Wrighty.

REB

Post by REB »

was at the game v Bolton when he broke the record and he milked it for what it was worth, all 4 sides of the ground singing his name and he lapped it up :D

a legend indeed 8)

afcforever

Post by afcforever »

A real legend, loved watching him play.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

He should be a lesson to the young tossers (Frimpong etc). You can have a personality but still work your bollocks off every game, be passionate about your club, your career, your teammates and the supporters. He was a fantastic player and a top bloke.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Was always my favourite player by a mile when I was growing up - remember him hanging out the East Stand after a game and the day he broke the record particularly fondly. Never left anything out on the pitch.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

northbank123 wrote:Was always my favourite player by a mile when I was growing up - remember him hanging out the East Stand after a game and the day he broke the record particularly fondly. Never left anything out on the pitch.

I've got some photo's of Wrighty doing just that - hanging out the East Stand windows and also when he got a hat trick on the last day of the season (and of the North Bank :( ) v Southampton with no boots and a bobble hat pulled down right over his head.

Loved the guy, his passion, his love of Arsenal, his goalscoring celebrations and made many a shit match worth watching by himself.

My favourite Wrighty goal was the juggle / lob v Everton into the North Bank past a bemused Southall :barscarf:

Happy Birthday Wrighty you Legend

Its up for grabs now

Post by Its up for grabs now »

Happy birthday Wrighty. Many people are called legends these days but he certainly is one :barscarf:

http://youtu.be/xQ_MaGEFH8g For anyone who hasn't watched this, its worth a look!

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Its up for grabs now wrote:Happy birthday Wrighty. Many people are called legends these days but he certainly is one :barscarf:

http://youtu.be/xQ_MaGEFH8g For anyone who hasn't watched this, its worth a look!

Quality,I've never seen that before....Wright is Arsenal through and through,How he gets abuse from some Gooners for speaking the truth about the club is beyond me.The part with his old teacher shows what a genuine man he is,Thanks for the link!!

Post by 1989 »

Happy Birthday Wrighty. HERO.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

markyp wrote:yes indeed true legend,the best CF in the country in his time bar none,for me he was every bit as good as Henry,and one thing Wrighty could do was score a goal when we desperately needed one,ive always felt that those two chances in the CL final that Henry fluffed had it been Wrighty one of those at least would have been despatched,HAPPY BIRTHDAY :barscarf:
After the CL final my mates and I were sat in a bar in Paris drowning the living fuck out of our sorrows and one of the lads made that exact point and a couple of our number disagreed vehemently. I fully agreed back then and still do now.

Wrighty for me is/was/and always will be an Arsenal legend. Hated his TV personality shite but love him as a Gunner. He scored some magical goals and had a great sense of humour/piss taking on the pitch. Remember an interview with Steve Bruce and he said the hardest striker to defend against was Wrighty, not only because of his pace and skill, but also for the 90 minutes of non stop verbal abuse he'd give you! :lol:

Should also be remembered that he set that Arsenal goal record playing (mostly) under a notoriously defensive manager, in a team built to defend, in a time when CH's actively tried to kill strikers, and with many inferior team mates compared to what Henry played with (not knocking Henry's record because it too is brilliant but just adding perspective). I doubt though that Henry would have scored that many goals in the team Wrighty (mostly) played in.

Ian Wright Wright Wright!! :barscarf: 8)

Lee1

Post by Lee1 »

Much as I adore DB, Wrighty was and always will be my favourite player. Had the lot....loved his attitude,passion,love for the club and supporters and what a finisher. If only he were 20 years younger ! Happy birthday Ian

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

markyp

Post by markyp »

I see none of our 'super fans' have posted have posted in this thread,oh I forgot they wouldn't remember Ian Wright and the pre Wenker days.the lack of posters here is a bit shocking to say the very least :(

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Not sure it's a reflection of the esteem Wrighty is held in as I can assure you that it - like me -is very high!! 8) :lol: :wink: