BOULDY THE NEW PAT RICE??

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbank123

Re: Steve Bould: Will it work?

Post by northbank123 »

The whole defensive shape of the team seems better. Podolski and Chamberlain worked really hard today tracking back, too many times last year we left our full-backs exposed (THAT DAY at OT being the prime example). Arteta did a better holding job today than Song ever did, quietly went about his job with composure, skill and discipline, and in the first half at least we pressed them high up the pitch and they weren't good enough to pass it through us. We rarely let attackers get one-on-one with defenders because we were working so hard to restrict their space and double up.

Not saying we're the finished article at the back or that we we're good enough to compete for PL or CL, and realistically the defending could hardly get worse than it's been gradually getting last few years. That said, couldn't have expected any more in the first few games, bodes well for when Bould usurps Wenger :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I hope Bouldy is influencing it because I love Uncle Bouldy! :barscarf: 8)

But you simply cannot underestimate the difference having Arteta (a mobile, intelligent, gifted player that can read the game) replacing Mong (a slow lumbering retard that can't see past the 3 yards in front of him) makes.

Arteta gives the CH's so much more cover (and vitally intelligent cover) than Mong did. He always looks to anticipate, not just react and that is the difference between a top midfielder and a poor or average one. I'm also pretty sure the CH's don't miss Mong's endearing habit of slowly dicking around with the ball, inviting the oppo onto us and then panic passing it at pace straight at our now marked CH's. Fucking dickwad. :roll:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Only 3 games in but there's enough evidence on the defensive side to suggest a change of approach for the better. At Stoke it was really noticeable. When I looked at that back five - Mannone, Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Gibbs - I'd written us off before a ball was kicked. For years Wenger has talked about 'knowing what to expect' from Stoke but then sat back and watched us unable to do anything about it.

The way the team was drilled to deal with set plays defensively was something new for certain. Proper routines had been developed - one in front, one behind on Crouch, Giroud taking up key near post roles etc - and the whole thing looked properly prepared on a training field. I haven't seen us set up defensively like that in ages. And look at the corners for us - the near post flick routine from the late 80s / early 90s is being recreated. That is almost entirely down to Bould and growing up as a player under a manager where no stone was left unturned when it came to set plays - for and against

If nothing else, then in these aspects it is clearly working so far

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

One thing I've noticed straight away is that we're not trying to play offside from practically the half-way line. Much more sensible

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

We just seem a bit more confident. Seems a lot less hesitancy in us. That could also be down to Mert being an experienced reader of the game.

Whatever it is, nice to see 3 clean sheets.

slevinlacey

Post by slevinlacey »

Still a few shaky moments at the back yesterday, men unmarked, more due to Scousers not being clinical than us being rock solid. Definitely Bould has added something at the back, and is clearly working on set pieces. Would love to have some success with Bouldy and maybe a few others drafted in such as Keown and Parlour!

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

LDB wrote:One thing I've noticed straight away is that we're not trying to play offside from practically the half-way line. Much more sensible
Agreed, the suicidal step up wavings hands around only to have a fullback playing two players onside.

Have to say that we defended much better as a team v the mousers, bodies behind the ball and for a change we looked capable of physiacally matching teams for strength and not being outmuscled. (possibly helped that Walcott wasn't playing)

Also we didn't appear to push the fullback up quite so often or in a gung-ho fasion, although Gibbs was up there with 5 mns to go and us 2-0 up, no need in my opinion.

Arteta is a very intelligent player positionally, covers the gaps, can see when to drop back and sit and so the protection was much improved.

Got to be happy as we still have Sagna and Kos and Cheszey to come back which will improve us even further - :barscarf:

Hopefully the front players can carry on where they left off, as Podolski and Carzola do appear to have clicked well already.

Emmanuel_eboue27

Post by Emmanuel_eboue27 »

Looking good so far!

villej

Post by villej »

Emmanuel_eboue27 wrote:Looking good so far!
It is a great start but we can't expect too much too early. Bould needs more time and maybe a couple of new singnings to make the whole team defend as a unit.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

I think the back to back games against city and the chavs will let us know how far defensively we have come.3 clean sheets so far is alot better than this time last year.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

mcdowell42 wrote:I think the back to back games against city and the chavs will let us know how far defensively we have come.3 clean sheets so far is alot better than this time last year.
why what happened at 6.45 on 10th September 2011 ?

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

StuartL wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:I think the back to back games against city and the chavs will let us know how far defensively we have come.3 clean sheets so far is alot better than this time last year.
why what happened at 6.45 on 10th September 2011 ?

augie

Post by augie »

IF bouldie is the man calling the shots defensively this season, as most seem to believe, then why are we still playing the zonal defensive system when the opposition have set pieces near our penalty area ? :? This isn't the system that bouldie was used to under GG so isn't a system that he can be that familiar with surely ? I know every system has it's weaknesses but I totally dislike the zonal system and even though it was mannone's fcuk up that cost us the goal today, I still don't trust the system

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

augie wrote:IF bouldie is the man calling the shots defensively this season, as most seem to believe, then why are we still playing the zonal defensive system when the opposition have set pieces near our penalty area ? :? This isn't the system that bouldie was used to under GG so isn't a system that he can be that familiar with surely ? I know every system has it's weaknesses but I totally dislike the zonal system and even though it was mannone's fcuk up that cost us the goal today, I still don't trust the system
i agree. it seems weird. maybe its a stop gap ?

i remember when the scousers experimented with it - it worked in Europe but was hopeless in the PL.

I hate it. zones don't score goals, players do.

Vito dropped a rickett coming off his line (which he didn't do again...) but he didn't give away a free header, that was the zonal defenders...

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

augie wrote:IF bouldie is the man calling the shots defensively this season, as most seem to believe, then why are we still playing the zonal defensive system when the opposition have set pieces near our penalty area ? :? This isn't the system that bouldie was used to under GG so isn't a system that he can be that familiar with surely ? I know every system has it's weaknesses but I totally dislike the zonal system and even though it was mannone's fcuk up that cost us the goal today, I still don't trust the system

Yep, its shit - all it takes to beat it is to outnumber the defence in a certain position, say the back post and have 2 or 3 players there, one blocks the defender leaving the other 2 free.

Or you just put you biggest player up against their smallest / weakest in the air.

If you are man for man everyone has a responsibilty - having said that Podolski should have been stronger today and Mannone was nowhere, near the ball, we could have got away with it with a bit more luck.