Walcott Injury

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonersid

Re: Walcott Injury

Post by goonersid »

It's a big blow, Theo hasn't been my favourite player by a long way, but he has had a knack of scoring important goals both last season and this and has been playing quite well.
The big loss though will be his pace, it's the only variation we have to our game and we will miss that.
Wenger's hand must surely now be forced and he must buy in January.
I would even take a punt now on Berbatov, simply because our backs are against the wall and finding someone in January is never easy. If he was available for around the reported 2 million then what have we got to lose? Even he only played a handful of games, with things as tight as they are at the top, if he scored 1 winning goal in a league game then that would be 2 million well spent.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

STLgooner89 wrote:Just looked at some stats and did some math....Theo and Ozil got to play just 10 games together this season. Only 5 of them were they both starters and their total minutes spent on the pitch together was roughly 482 minutes.

The first game they played together, away at sunderland, we saw how easily ozil could pick out the runs of someone like Walcott. It's a shame that two of our best/most impactful players barely got to play together when it's obvious how much someone like Ozil needs players like Walcott to show what he can do as well.
I think this is a key point.
I have always thought that if Walcott and Ozil played enough games together this season then we would go very close to winning the league.

on a separate point in the (increasingly unlikely) possibility of us winning the league has Walcott played enough games to get himself a League winners medal?

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Ryanswannell wrote:
Supagoon wrote: Walcott gives us pace + finish. He uses his pace to finish a move.

Rosicky can a barely finish, he is a midfielder, pace is hardly essential.

And now of course we'll have to tippy tappy our opponents to death. Giroud running on to a through ball is like a plastic bag falling from the sky attached to a parachute.

Previous people have said, Ramsey's industry and shooting really helped us in the first part of the season, who is going to do it now?
I'm not so sure.
Did you see his goal against tottnumb? Had Walcott found himself in that position he would have probably kicked it straight at Lloris.

Anyway, I really appreciate what Walcott can do for us and I am gutted that he is out for so long. Hopefully he isn't too affected by his injury and doesn't have any set-backs during his time out.
Didn't theo chip the keeper the game before :?

Theo is a very accomplished finisher and has lifted the ball over many keepers, I like rosicky and he has been playing very well but he will probably only get 2 more goals this season.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

also the 6 month lay off....with our medical team will probably be closer to a year :banghead:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

On hearing the news yesterday I like many thought of Eduardo and the effect that had on a potentially successful season. In hindsight I am not sure that it can (or should) have the same effect on the squad. Theo's injury is a football one, freakish in ways but could be put in the "can happen" category. Eduardo's was an act of thuggery that was encouraged by a media that rejoiced in the fact that "Arsenal don't like it up them "...The Arsenal players particularly those on the pitch at St Andrew's were shocked and even with the best and bravest of intentions they knew that it could have been any of them, that had a long-term effect on the players mentally. Theo's injury is upsetting and unsettling for the squad but I don't think it will destroy confidence to the extent that Eduardo's did.
I thought on Saturday, despite not scoring, Theo gave Arsenal a better option up front. His pace and movement pushed Spurs back, the pace of Walcott compliment Arsenal's midfield better than the target man style. Also as said elsewhere on this thread it offered variety .

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Gutted for him. I felt sick when I heard. Whatever your view on him as a player, and I'm a big fan, he comes across as one of the nicest and humble guys about and it's shit this has happened to him. At least his last act of the season was putting those mugs in their place (who have shown their usual class celebrating this news like they've achieved something) Just makes me wish he had rolled off the pitch when he first went down in that game and didn't come back on, but that shows an awful lot about the guy.

I think Wenger will sign. He said he was waiting on the Bendtner news, and I think with an attacking option now being missing, he'll look to add. Who that'll be is up in the air, but I can't see him not adding.

Hope Theo comes back just as good as Bobby did. It can be done.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I'm absolutely gutted for the lad. Players have come back but it could well affect his best asset...his pace. We're gonna miss him more than we realise.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

If I could take Theo's injury off him so that my knee would be bolloxed and he's would would be fine, I'd do it in a heart beat.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

rigsby wrote:Gutted for him. I felt sick when I heard. Whatever your view on him as a player, and I'm a big fan, he comes across as one of the nicest and humble guys about and it's shit this has happened to him. At least his last act of the season was putting those mugs in their place (who have shown their usual class celebrating this news like they've achieved something) Just makes me wish he had rolled off the pitch when he first went down in that game and didn't come back on, but that shows an awful lot about the guy.

I think Wenger will sign. He said he was waiting on the Bendtner news, and I think with an attacking option now being missing, he'll look to add. Who that'll be is up in the air, but I can't see him not adding.

Hope Theo comes back just as good as Bobby did. It can be done.
Would it be surprising if he didn't sign anyone? This is the guy who knew how shit we were last season, and only signed Monreal, and this time around, we are top of the league. This transfer window will tell you everything about Wenger, and wheter he is actually ambitious enough to try win the title.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:If I could take Theo's injury off him so that my knee would be bolloxed and he's would would be fine, I'd do it in a heart beat.
Can you sacrifice yourself for the Great Abou please mate ?

Might be worth an extra burger or two.....

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:If I could take Theo's injury off him so that my knee would be bolloxed and he's would would be fine, I'd do it in a heart beat.
I don't think our Oirish health service could cope with the strain if he did... :lol: :wink:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
I don't think our Oirish health service could cope with the strain if he did... :lol: :wink:
What would I be left with that wouldn't ache? My japs eye jimmy that's what :banghead:

:wink:

A dallying Gus Caesar

Post by A dallying Gus Caesar »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:I have been one of Theo's admirers but admit that he can be frustrating but I kid you not when i say this, without him we are one dimensional and will not win a thing, with him I thought we had a chance of the league, he would have gotten another 10-15 goals.

We are fekin cursed :roll:
Terrible news. There really is no other way of putting it. Cannot understand how some old pro's think this is not a big problem. I consider it possibly a defining blow to our hopes this season. It is dire news, and yes, I really do at times feel we are cursed.

A dallying Gus Caesar

Post by A dallying Gus Caesar »

Supagoon wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:Terrible news

This is like the "Eduardo moment" of 6 years ago

thought this, and hate to say it.

Lucky City and Chelsea, you jammy bastards, hope you have a mare anyways x.
Agree with all of the above. As a club, we do things right. The club is run responsibly and with a need to balance the books. We don't buy trophies like Chelsea have for the last ten years and like City will for the foreseeable future.
Therefore we are fighting with one arm tied behind our back.

All I hoped for was that we would not get the usual and predictable serious injuries just to give us a shot at it. I should have known that was too much to ask and that we would be scuppered like this. We must have really pissed off the footballing gods, as since the Eduardo moment, injuries have defined our season whenever we get close to success.

Very sad and I think the rest of the season will now tail off. Just must make sure that we get top four. I know the table looks good now but it is still quite tight. If we did come through the next month well, then I am sure there is another serious injury just round the corner to put the death knell into our hopes.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

This is not an Eduardo moment

Eduardo got injured after the transfer window had closed.We have 3 weeks to sign players we have money coming out of our ears.There are no excuses for not going out and bringing 3 players in,including 2 strikers

If we dont win the title it wont be down to Walcott getting injured but down to Wenger