Walcott Injury

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbank123

Re: Walcott Injury

Post by northbank123 »

A dallying Gus Caesar wrote:
Supagoon wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:Terrible news

This is like the "Eduardo moment" of 6 years ago

thought this, and hate to say it.

Lucky City and Chelsea, you jammy bastards, hope you have a mare anyways x.
Agree with all of the above. As a club, we do things right. The club is run responsibly and with a need to balance the books. We don't buy trophies like Chelsea have for the last ten years and like City will for the foreseeable future.
Therefore we are fighting with one arm tied behind our back.

All I hoped for was that we would not get the usual and predictable serious injuries just to give us a shot at it. I should have known that was too much to ask and that we would be scuppered like this. We must have really pissed off the footballing gods, as since the Eduardo moment, injuries have defined our season whenever we get close to success.

Very sad and I think the rest of the season will now tail off. Just must make sure that we get top four. I know the table looks good now but it is still quite tight. If we did come through the next month well, then I am sure there is another serious injury just round the corner to put the death knell into our hopes.
I'm not sure that's entirely true. The only times we've come really close to success since then were the two semi-finals in 2009 and the Carling Cup in 2011, and I don't think any of those three defeats can be chalked up to injuries.

And obviously we are fighting an uphill battle against City - I think even the most ardent Wenger critic would have to acknowledge that - and they can generally afford to cope with injuries better than we can. But also let's not pretend we've had massively bad luck with injuries this year. We've had three lengthy injuries to wingers (of whom only Walcott can be argued to be a key player) and we've been extremely fortunate in other ways. Giroud is intergral to the team and despite his workload has only missed one game through injury. Ramsey started the first 18 games, Ozil his first 15 in a row until both picked up pretty minor niggly injuries. Our defensive improvements have been based around having Mertesacker, Koscielny and Szczesny available every game. Even players with dubious injury records like Gibbs, Rosicky and Wilshere have not suffered anywhere near as much as in the past.

Kompany and CB partner Nastasic have both missed half the PL season, as has Silva, and Aguero has been out for a fair few weeks too. Look across at United with van Judas - 56 PL goals in 2 seasons - out for half the season so far, and Rooney starting to struggle off the back of that. I don't think we've been hit particularly hard.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

There aren't many players in the prem with the pace of Theo, I still think it will impact on us at some point. I know Theo has a fair number of detractors, but he - within the tacticless system that AW operates - could come on and genuinely change a game. Defenders were genuinely afraid of his pace....because when players like Ozil and wilshere picked a pass to him....no one could catch him, also for all his (so called) softness etc - he had begun to 'Grow Up and Man Up' - becoming a father can do that.... just think it's a right kick in the gonads for him, the team ,us and of course this seasons outcome regarding trophies etc.

I genuinely wish this hadn't happened.

I was talking to another Gooner today and said 'why is it this happens to the like sof Theo and yet it never happened to the likes of denilson ?' he said the likes of denilson never EVER moved quick enough to pull a muscle or tear a ligament

GET WELL SOON THEO ! :barscarf:

Post by 1989 »

Devastating news. Wasn't he meant to be out for 4 weeks initially? What have our medical team done to him?

Blade

Post by Blade »

I know, this happens often after the med get their hand on them.

Jack W 2 Weeks out become 12months out,etc

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Six months is wildly optimistic, I think. Most ACL injuries are at least 9 months to a year before the player is back. Even the ones that are usually diagnosed as "4 to 6 months out" end up being longer.... and given our "medical" team's well documented "expertise" in treating injuries...? Christ... :| :(

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

I know, this happens often after the med get their hand on them.
It's an ACL injury. Don't be so stupid

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

northbank123 wrote:
Supagoon wrote:

Agree with all of the above. As a club, we do things right. The club is run responsibly and with a need to balance the books. We don't buy trophies like Chelsea have for the last ten years and like City will for the foreseeable future.

All I hoped for was that we would not get the usual and predictable serious injuries just to give us a shot at it. I should have known that was too much to ask and that we would be scuppered like this. We must have really pissed off the footballing gods, as since the Eduardo moment, injuries have defined our season whenever we get close to success.

Very sad and I think the rest of the season will now tail off. Just must make sure that we get top four. I know the table looks good now but it is still quite tight. If we did come through the next month well, then I am sure there is another serious injury just round the corner to put the death knell into our hopes.
I'm not sure that's entirely true. The only times we've come really close to success since then were the two semi-finals in 2009 and the Carling Cup in 2011, and I don't think any of those three defeats can be chalked up to injuries.

And obviously we are fighting an uphill battle against City - I think even the most ardent Wenger critic would have to acknowledge that - and they can generally afford to cope with injuries better than we can. But also let's not pretend we've had massively bad luck with injuries this year. We've had three lengthy injuries to wingers (of whom only Walcott can be argued to be a key player) and we've been extremely fortunate in other ways. Giroud is intergral to the team and despite his workload has only missed one game through injury. Ramsey started the first 18 games, Ozil his first 15 in a row until both picked up pretty minor niggly injuries. Our defensive improvements have been based around having Mertesacker, Koscielny and Szczesny available every game. Even players with dubious injury records like Gibbs, Rosicky and Wilshere have not suffered anywhere near as much as in the past.

Kompany and CB partner Nastasic have both missed half the PL season, as has Silva, and Aguero has been out for a fair few weeks too. Look across at United with van Judas - 56 PL goals in 2 seasons - out for half the season so far, and Rooney starting to struggle off the back of that. I don't think we've been hit particularly hard.
Dont forget BFG didnt play at the last moment against Manure :wink:

Cant see it as an Eduado moment, didnt see anyone sulking on the half way line, was a totally different situation, we won V the scum, Theo went off in real style....

We certainly will miss him, and not sure he is "replacable" as such, hes a very different player to most if nat all other players.

augie

Post by augie »

OneBardGooner wrote:There aren't many players in the prem with the pace of Theo, I still think it will impact on us at some point. I know Theo has a fair number of detractors, but he - within the tacticless system that AW operates - could come on and genuinely change a game. Defenders were genuinely afraid of his pace....because when players like Ozil and wilshere picked a pass to him....no one could catch him, also for all his (so called) softness etc - he had begun to 'Grow Up and Man Up' - becoming a father can do that.... just think it's a right kick in the gonads for him, the team ,us and of course this seasons outcome regarding trophies etc.

I was talking to another Gooner today and said 'why is it this happens to the like sof Theo and yet it never happened to the likes of denilson ?' he said the likes of denilson never EVER moved quick enough to pull a muscle or tear a ligament

But that in itself is a much more watered down (some might say realistic) view of the impact his injury will have cos you are suggesting that impact sub is his role - I said the other day that I am more sorry for wally himself than I am for the team cos I believe that that it will have a harder effect on the guy than it will on the teams chances

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

augie wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:There aren't many players in the prem with the pace of Theo, I still think it will impact on us at some point. I know Theo has a fair number of detractors, but he - within the tacticless system that AW operates - could come on and genuinely change a game. Defenders were genuinely afraid of his pace....because when players like Ozil and wilshere picked a pass to him....no one could catch him, also for all his (so called) softness etc - he had begun to 'Grow Up and Man Up' - becoming a father can do that.... just think it's a right kick in the gonads for him, the team ,us and of course this seasons outcome regarding trophies etc.

But that in itself is a much more watered down (some might say realistic) view of the impact his injury will have cos you are suggesting that impact sub is his role - I said the other day that I am more sorry for wally himself than I am for the team cos I believe that that it will have a harder effect on the guy than it will on the teams chances

Can't believe this but I'm gonna disagree with you here mate :shock: :lol:

I think theo had a huge part to play and was pivotal in the second half of the season, he IMO was getting better and better and looked full of confidence on his return, giroud will not get us the goals to win the league, Ramsey has almost dried up with regards goals.

I just don't see who will score the goals to win the league, hope I'm wrong and santi, ozil, Ramsey, wilshere and Rosicky bag what's required.

Oh yeah I forgot park and bendtner :roll:

TheCook

Post by TheCook »

DB10GOONER wrote:Six months is wildly optimistic, I think. Most ACL injuries are at least 9 months to a year before the player is back. Even the ones that are usually diagnosed as "4 to 6 months out" end up being longer.... and given our "medical" team's well documented "expertise" in treating injuries...? Christ... :| :(
There is no point in being out for six months from January though, is there? Just call it eight months and be ready for the start of August and the new season.

A dallying Gus Caesar

Post by A dallying Gus Caesar »

northbank123 wrote:
Supagoon wrote:

Hi northbank

I do not disagree with most of the points you make but City's squad strength is incredible and an injury to Aguero and Kompany should not kybosh them given their cover. When all fit Dzeko and Jovetic don't even get a game!

I would say that prior to The Carling Cup final we lost Cesc & Theo to injury in the midweek game prior to the final. We would have won with that pair there.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

TheCook wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Six months is wildly optimistic, I think. Most ACL injuries are at least 9 months to a year before the player is back. Even the ones that are usually diagnosed as "4 to 6 months out" end up being longer.... and given our "medical" team's well documented "expertise" in treating injuries...? Christ... :| :(
There is no point in being out for six months from January though, is there? Just call it eight months and be ready for the start of August and the new season.
Agreed. But we won't see him in a PL game until next December or January. :(

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

northbank123 wrote:
Supagoon wrote:

Hi northbank

I do not disagree with most of the points you make but City's squad strength is incredible and an injury to Aguero and Kompany should not kybosh them given their cover. When all fit Dzeko and Jovetic don't even get a game!

I would say that prior to The Carling Cup final we lost Cesc & Theo to injury in the midweek game prior to the final. We would have won with that pair there.
I think Man City are vulnerable at the back - especially when Kompany is missing. Any side that can get enough of the ball to put them under pressure, while limiting City's undoubted class attacking talent to few opportunities, will have a good chance to beat them. 8)