Kim Kallstrom - the saviour? Arsene knows

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
A11M11

Re: Kim Kallstrom - the saviour? Arsene knows

Post by A11M11 »

The club has a budget to spend and they panicked and overspent on Ozil after gazidis announced that we were money rich. New sponsorships have come in and during the summer more cash will be available. We were never going to spend an Ozil type amount during January and it's doubtful that we will again in the summer. What is more likely is that two maybe three players will arrive for a similar total spend. The Ozil deal was made as Madrid held us to ransom because following the Villa match Gazidis and co showed their negotiating skills by asking what Madrid wanted and as they had left it too late paid up.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Postby topcat on Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:09 pm

If he had £100m to spend, for what reason wouldnt he spend it if he thought it could help us win the league? Anyone with a brain would spend it. I dont think he just 'chose not to", there is somethig going on.

He's obviously under some serious pressure from above to make money and not to spend big. And whoever comes in after wenger will be under the same pressure. IMO, and i admit when wengers tactics etc are wrong but the money problems at arsenal are coming from above wenger.

BAAAAA BAAAAA BAAAAAA

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Farce

Arsenal need player for next 4-6 weeks so sign player who's out for 6 weeks. There's no excuse or way to dress that up.

Arsene won't spend the money - why?

1. He treats it like his own money
2. He has his own valuation of the market.
3. He doesn't believe that spending £35m now would push us to the title.
4. His negotiation team aren't up to it.

Some possible reasons.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

TeeCee wrote:

If he had £100m to spend, for what reason wouldnt he spend it if he thought it could help us win the league? Anyone with a brain would spend it. I dont think he just 'chose not to", there is somethig going on.

He's obviously under some serious pressure from above to make money and not to spend big. And whoever comes in after wenger will be under the same pressure. IMO, and i admit when wengers tactics etc are wrong but the money problems at arsenal are coming from above wenger.

BAAAAA BAAAAA BAAAAAA

Been hanging around the Spurs training ground again TeeCee? :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

topcat wrote:If he had £100m to spend, for what reason wouldnt he spend it if he thought it could help us win the league? Anyone with a brain would spend it. I dont think he just 'chose not to", there is somethig going on.

If a rich owner gave you £100m to spend what would you do with it ?

Give it back to him.

Not my words....the words of the great There's Only One

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

well you would give it back if that rich owner then said that he was willing to pay you £8 million per year indefinately and there was no pressure to ever win anything.

topcat

Post by topcat »

Gunner Rob wrote:well you would give it back if that rich owner then said that he was willing to pay you £8 million per year indefinately and there was no pressure to ever win anything.
The last contract Wenger signed was for £115k a week, which works out at just under £6million a year. Not £8million.

Not holding on to anything, just saying. Seems like you all like to exaggerate.

topcat

Post by topcat »

TeeCee wrote:

BAAAAA BAAAAA BAAAAAA

Good one. 8)

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Just read the Self Harmer's comments. Absolutely incredible

"I wouldn't have signed him if we had another two or three days, but it was on Friday at 5pm."

Errr....you had 31 days in the window to sign someone cretin so why wait till day 31 to begin with. If the window was closing tomorrow he'd have tried to do the deal at 5pm tomorrow anyway....so what sodding difference would that make?

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

SteveO 35 wrote:Just read the Self Harmer's comments. Absolutely incredible

"I wouldn't have signed him if we had another two or three days, but it was on Friday at 5pm."

Errr....you had 31 days in the window to sign someone cretin so why wait till day 31 to begin with. If the window was closing tomorrow he'd have tried to do the deal at 5pm tomorrow anyway....so what sodding difference would that make?
Spot on with this- someone up high really must sort this out ASAP, two panic buys in 2 windows with nothing much in otherwise apart from San no go is clear evidence of complete uselessness in how transfers nowadays are negotiated at The Arsenal. :banghead:

Incidentally he STILL isnt on the website as in the team :rubchin:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

topcat wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:well you would give it back if that rich owner then said that he was willing to pay you £8 million per year indefinately and there was no pressure to ever win anything.
The last contract Wenger signed was for £115k a week, which works out at just under £6million a year. Not £8million.

Not holding on to anything, just saying. Seems like you all like to exaggerate.
I think topcat we are getting the 8m figure from his next contract.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Agree with Herd that this Spartak deal to pay his wages for six weeks looks like a backtrack.

But amongst all the arguing on this thread there is a bottom line which is we messed up in this transfer window and that the buck stops with Wenger for that.

People can criticise "The Board" or our negotiating team but the targets for the January window should be settled on by the last week of December.

Wenger may point out that Ramsey and Wilshere suffered unexpected setbacks but with Ramsey having just returned from a medium term injury, it is likely he will have a smaller injury after returning, that is very often the case with players.

Wilshere has not been 100% fit for almost two years.

We should have had provision in the squad for such occurrences.

We all know there is cash in the bank, but even so the board give Wenger an annual budget and he can spend that how he likes.
If that budget was almost met by Ozil's transfer, then we could have tried to bring back Coquelin from his unsuccessful loan, just to tide us over until the summer.
Maybe we did?

If that transfer budget was not met by the Ozil deal, then we had cash to readily spend and it is down to Wenger that we are short on numbers.
Many reports suggest that the board were happy to pay big money for Draxler, possibly under pressure from Sir Chips, who supposedly pushed a for once cowed Wenger [pardon the Tottenham training ground pun] into the Ozil deal, but Wenger baulked at the Draxler price?

The price looked high, but a price is only as much value as other spending allows.
If we had not wasted money on Park, Miyaichi and Sanogo, then more would have been available for Draxler.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

SteveO 35 wrote:Just read the Self Harmer's comments. Absolutely incredible

"There's a possibility he will not play, but also a possibility he will score a vital winning goal."

Struggling to think of anything that could be more symptomatic of our half-hearted transfer policy over the years. Aside from continuing to ignore our glaring weakness up front, we're top of the league and still in two cup competitions and we make this sort of indecisive statement.

Either we need cover in the short-term - in which case the signing was useless, or we don't - in which case the signing was pointless.

Despite my views on him I've never agreed with most of the extreme views on Wenger's personality but reading his statement today I can't shake the sense that Kallstrom was signed not because we need him but because if he does happen to contribute something Wenger can smugly reflect on his own genius. Just a continuation of his vanity project where he'd rather sign kids or £5-12m players on the off-chance he can make them into superstars.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

I agree with Quartz - Ramsey was actually out injured when the window opened, so we should have had the deals lined up then . I mean it's not like our players get injured and stay out for long is it ????

Transfers HAVE to be taken out of Wengers hands if he's to stay.

What I don't understand is why Usamanov is putting up with this continued incompetence year after year.

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

clockender1 wrote: What I don't understand is why Usamanov is putting up with this continued incompetence year after year.
Agreed, can only conclude he too is a self harmer :oops: